Turkey Time, How do you fry yours?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turkey Time, How do you fry yours?

Its that time of year, and I know we have some people in here who fry their turkeys. How do you do it, what rubs, injections, spices, sides, etc do you like best?

GOT SPD (from another website) was very helpful and send me a very detailed PM on the basics of this, and if needed (with permission) I'll post for others considering doing this for Thursday. This will be my first time (yes, virgin turkey fryer here) doing this, but I've got a fairly good grasp on the concepts, except for the seasonings.

It can't be an all out 'cajun' turkey, my dad isn't too fond of pure spicey foods (I am though), so a good solid flavor, nothing overbearing, etc.

Do you rub before, or after frying (I've heard conflicting reports), inject when? Marinade any? etc, etc.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Regular

My buddy is using one of Emeril's recipes this year. I know for sure you wanna inject it with a creole butter before frying and mix a rub before you fry it too and then fry it in peanut oil for about 3 min/lb.
HTH
J

I found the link and info if you want it

http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_na..._version3.html

Last edited by THE BLACK WIDOW; 11-21-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have always wanted to taste fryed turkey...lemme know if ya got any leftovers boomhauer
Old 11-21-2006, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds tempting but ghetto
Old 11-21-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I've never had fried turkey.....................
Old 11-21-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Regular

Your missing out Ben!

J
Old 11-21-2006, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i've never had fried bird either!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fried bird is WAY better than a baked bird.

Raf, I'll save ya some if you want to try it.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Goode Co. Turkey > *
Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell yeah,

my dad's company used to have deep frying turkey exhibitions in houston at differnet places. He is the VP of sales for LouAnna Oils and spices. He is the godfather of frying turkey's !!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:39 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Since you probably aren't brining it and will be injecting a marinade make one half spicey and the other half sissy. When fried the spices will stay pretty much in little pockets, not mixing to the other side.

Fried turkeys are good but if you brine a good bird and roast it properly they can be just as good if not better than a fried one. The best recipe I've ever found by far:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8389,00.html

If you can get your hands on one the Heritage Turkeys are supposed to be way more flavorful than the genetically altered ones you buy at the supermarket. Kind of like Kobe Beef vs Wal-mart butchers.

Last edited by BP; 11-21-2006 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
Its that time of year, and I know we have some people in here who fry their turkeys. How do you do it, what rubs, injections, spices, sides, etc do you like best?

GOT SPD (from another website) was very helpful and send me a very detailed PM on the basics of this, and if needed (with permission) I'll post for others considering doing this for Thursday. This will be my first time (yes, virgin turkey fryer here) doing this, but I've got a fairly good grasp on the concepts, except for the seasonings.

It can't be an all out 'cajun' turkey, my dad isn't too fond of pure spicey foods (I am though), so a good solid flavor, nothing overbearing, etc.

Do you rub before, or after frying (I've heard conflicting reports), inject when? Marinade any? etc, etc.
inject it in your anus...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Sounds tempting but ghetto
Hell ya
Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Injection injection injection.....

Tony Chachere's sells the stuff off the shelf.......mmm mmm mmmmmm

http://www.tonychachere.com/marinades/

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE TURKEY IS COMPLETELY THAWED.

Last edited by kerryt1; 11-21-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

I had never heard of it, unitl a friend did it one night. It was the ****! Way better than a oven baked turkey.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Frying my Third one this Thurs. I did one last Thanksgiving and last Christmas. I injected mine with the Creole Butter the last two times and will do the same this time. I have brined birds befor to bake in the oven and the meat turn out moist and very flavorfull all the way down to the bone, but the broth out of the oven (brined) turkey is to salty to make gravy with. Then again I brine my meat way longer than reccomend. I`m going to buy a extra turkey this Thanksgiving so I will have time to thaw and brine it for Christmas. I always brine my turkeys for about four or five days and my whole chickens as well as my brisketts, three days. Just make sure you take your raw turkey and place it in you frying pot ( I do it still wraped in the package ) and cover it with cool water untill the turkey is just covered with the water. Remove the turkey and measure the amount of water you used to cover the turkey. This is about, or maby even a bit less, the amount of oil you should use. Like someoe said above make damn sure its thawed all the way and even pat it dry with paper towels befor you place it slowly into the frying pot. The creol butter injector isn`t spicy at all ( don`t know about the Tony Chassories SP ? brand) I also have some bad *** brines and methods of cooking to make a great rotissery "style" chicken in the oven. PM me if your intrested. I never put a rub on it befor or after frying. The skin comes out crispy and you can actually eat the skin. I usually eat all the skin while I`m taking it off the bone.LOL

Last edited by al; 11-22-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so is dipping it in the water suppose to be for thawing it?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:16 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

No you want to thaw the turkey in the fridge for about four days or so. Thats the safe way to do it. And by the way never buy a "fresh" or thawed turkey unless you killed it or saw someone kill it a few days ago.The reason for laying the turkey in the frying pot and "just" covering it with water is to measure the amount of oil needed to fry the turkey. If you use to much oil (and it has happend to some) when you slowly put the turkey into the hot oil it expands and overflows onto the open flame and then starte a fire or even worse hurts someone and damage property.