Is there a way to search houses for sale in certain area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to search houses for sale in certain area?

With out going to real estate agent. I am looking for a house in Longview Texas and I wanted to know if I could find a house myselft.

Abe
Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Search for MLS listings.

I'm in the process of buying a house right now... the girlfriend being in real estate really helps though
Old 11-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

go to www.har.com
Old 11-22-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

www.seethehomes.com

www.realtor.com

www.remax.com

These are all great websites that i have personally used since my family just moved.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I don't know why you wouldn't use a realtor though.
You, as the buyer, don't have to pay them. And, they are knowledgeable about what to look for and the best way to proceed.
There's really not a downside for you...
Old 11-22-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jawsk2
I don't know why you wouldn't use a realtor though.
You, as the buyer, don't have to pay them. And, they are knowledgeable about what to look for and the best way to proceed.
There's really not a downside for you...
Don't have to pay them? Sure you do; that's how they make money. They work off comission.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Their commission is a percentage of the sale price.
You pay nothing to them. The seller pays the agent from the money you paid the seller.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kewl_Blades
Their commission is a percentage of the sale price.
You pay nothing to them. The seller pays the agent from the money you paid the seller.
you can check zillow.com to get the value of houses in a certain zip code, it goes off the latest years tax value. At least to see if you're getting a decent deal.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys. I am trying to save as much money as possible. The buyers agent gets 3% and the sellers get 3%, i think thats how it works.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

The buying agent gets 3% and the selling agent get 3% from the SELLER of the home. There is great benefit to NOT using a real estate agent because that gives you more negotiating room because the seller doesn't have to pay your real estate agent (buying agent) the other 3%. This should give you 3% more room to haggle on the price.

One thing I tell all my client that are first time home buyers, big freakin deal if you save $3000 off the price of the house, usually will equate to $20-$25 per month. Most people finance 100% anyways so it makes more since to get the seller to contribute 3% to your closing cost to help get into the home with little money or no money out of pocket.

Now on the other side of the coin, if you are a big wig who is looking for homes with equity, you will need a real estate agent. They have a lot more data bases to search and have way more info than you could get. They can tell you what houses have had price reduction and time on the market, which are HUGE negotiating tools.

I hope this helps but if you have any more questions please feel free to shoot me a PM. I am a mortgage broker and I will steer you in the right direction if you need any help.

J.R.

P.S.- Don't let any mortgage company push you FHA without comparing it to conventional financing. I do both and 75% of the time conventional financing works out better.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

I will keep that in mind.. thanks for the info... I live in a small town so finding the house will not be the problem... agreeing to a sales price will be. I am going to try it on my own and we will see what happens.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1stz06
The buying agent gets 3% and the selling agent get 3% from the SELLER of the home. There is great benefit to NOT using a real estate agent because that gives you more negotiating room because the seller doesn't have to pay your real estate agent (buying agent) the other 3%. This should give you 3% more room to haggle on the price.

One thing I tell all my client that are first time home buyers, big freakin deal if you save $3000 off the price of the house, usually will equate to $20-$25 per month. Most people finance 100% anyways so it makes more since to get the seller to contribute 3% to your closing cost to help get into the home with little money or no money out of pocket.

Now on the other side of the coin, if you are a big wig who is looking for homes with equity, you will need a real estate agent. They have a lot more data bases to search and have way more info than you could get. They can tell you what houses have had price reduction and time on the market, which are HUGE negotiating tools.

I hope this helps but if you have any more questions please feel free to shoot me a PM. I am a mortgage broker and I will steer you in the right direction if you need any help.

J.R.

P.S.- Don't let any mortgage company push you FHA without comparing it to conventional financing. I do both and 75% of the time conventional financing works out better.
i may be contacting you soon! looking to buy in the next year or so !

peace-
Old 11-23-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1stz06

J.R.

This is exactly what I meant. Yes, the buyer doesn't pay out of pocket to the agent... but the seller knows that they are getting that percent, so that limits negotiation of the price. So in a way, you ARE paying the agent

And yeah, having all the agent tools is awesome when finding a home. Finding it in MLS then getting a CMA done on it. That's all you need to know right there.