WTF, home electronics failure!!!???

Old 11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF, home electronics failure!!!???

I guess it would have happened between thurs. night and friday during the middle of the day. Lost my pioneer elite receiver, ipod ifi (klipsch) system, and brand new nokia 7360 cell phone (2 days old). All plugged in on the same circuit in my bedroom. Laptop, TV, alarm clock and other stuff are fine. Receiver reads "amp error" and shuts off, (I am guessing the mosfet is toast). The ifi has power, but will not produce sound from the dock or aux. The phone is just dead and wont come on. Anyone have something like this happen before? I just want to know wtf? Between the ifi and receiver, its about $1200.

Brandon
Old 11-27-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lightning hit our house once and just about everything electronic seemed fried, but after we got the insurance check it all started working. think it was about a week i think before everything came back on. home security system ended up being the only thing lost. I'd give it a couple days but it sounds like yours is gone.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A lightning strike fried our phone, kitchen TV, home theatre receiver and cable box. Luckily, our computer and big screen tv survived.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

voltage spike let out the factory installed smoke.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
voltage spike let out the factory installed smoke.
Thats pretty much all I can think of, some kinda surge. Just funny it didnt get anything else on the circuit. Really, it got two of the most expensive pieces of electronics I own. Bummer, but I think I can get the ifi covered under warranty. Receiver..............not so much.

Brandon
Old 11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

I usually unplug all of my expensive electronics during lightning storms. Haven't lost anything except an occasional NIC (which I don't have surge protected) and one wireless router. What brand of surge protection/supression are you using? I hope you didn't go the $9.99 route on your expensive consumer electronics. I'm using a Monster PowerCenter™ AV 800 with Surge Protection. It's a few years old now, but it must be working fine because I've yet to lose anything attached to it (4 year old 65" HDTV, 3 year old Onkyo reciever, CD changer, etc.) when I'm not home to unplug it.

I'll be upgrading to either BlueRay or HD-DVD sometime next year and will have to upgrade the TV (mine doesn't have any digital inputs). When I do, this is what will go along with it:

http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...heater%20Power

This feature alone is priceless:

"$250,000 Connected Equipment Warranty."

Last edited by CySevans; 11-28-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

I'm on my third dsl router thanks to lightning. My Yamaha tuner got zapped once but was still under warranty. I'd take the receiver and hifi to a good repair shop, can't imagine it being much more than a smoked power supply.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Teching In

This has come up a lot lately but, it sounds like the neutral dropped on the circuit. If it was raining then probably lightning.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the fuses
Old 11-29-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilverSLPZ
This has come up a lot lately but, it sounds like the neutral dropped on the circuit. If it was raining then probably lightning.
No lightning, not a cloud in the sky. I have had a reciever get fried in the past and it was the mosfet, pretty much costs around $400 to be fixed. At that point it makes more since to just get a newer one. The ifi is covered under warranty, if I can just get them to call me back.

Brandon

Search this Thread