Thinking of selling, but not sure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of selling, but not sure...

All my life I've wanted a Corvette, well i'm about to graduate from college in about two weeks and I'm thinking of upgrading to a C6 coupe or C5 convt.(depending on the Price), but I'm not sure if I should sell my car myself or suffer the low trade in values.

Just like many of the members on this site, I've put countless hours into my Z making it the best possible and I still have many dreams and plans for it. But, temptation is eating away at me, and I love the look of the C6. My neighbor let me drive his new C6 convt. and I new I shouldn't have done it. Now, all I think about is owning one.

My question is, do I trade it in or sell it out right, depending on which way I go what kind of prices should I be looking for.

The car is in mint condition, w/80K miles the rest is in sig.

I figured: Trade in= $ 10K ish

Selling myself = $ 10-13K

** This is not an attempt to sell right now, Not sure if I'm going to do this or not. I'm just seeking info, so "IF" I do this, I won't get rape on the value of my car.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain man. I hope to be sitting in a C5 Z06 next year. It'll be my New Years Resolution even.

Definately try to sell it yourself first. Give it some time on the market, if all else fails... trade it in. It's just an F-Body.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think you should get a job first, then get the vette.
trade in on a 98z will be way below 10k.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vince3
i think you should get a job first, then get the vette.
Whaaaaaat

What makes you think I don't already have a job, I know.. the college thing.

Haven't you ever heard of people holding down a full time job, taking care of two kids, and dealing with wife , while paying for and going to college... but that's not the topic of this thread.

I'm not asking for advise on how to make the payments, that part is taken care of.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

You might try posting it up on the 'ole eBay....you never know. Put a reserve on it that you can live with and see what happens....Only problem is, probably a bad time of year.

Your car looks great, has nice mods, color, etc, etc, but...a dealer is gonna screw you on it. I looked at trading mine in one time (I had 63K on it and a 100 K warranty transferable) and the ****** at the dealership tried to give me a song and dance aobut how, w/mods, it was not desirable. Dick weeds!!

Again, you have a sweet ride. Try eBay first, then see what happens. You may be best top wait till spring though.

Just my .02

Kev
Old 12-01-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Kev,

I've also been a witness to the old song and dance the dealers try and play. I'll look into the ebay option.

But who knows.. this could just be some type of corvette flu going around and I might get over it.

Thanks again for the comments.

later
Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Regular

I say keep the bitch. I've had my car up on autotrader for a while and decided a while back not to sell it. Jacked up the price, so people will quit bugging me, and for those who call: I tell them horror stories of the 10 bolt ticking time bomb issue and that they had better have a savings account for when things go wrong.
Ub2slow, wouldn't you rather keep the car and save up the 10grand instead of losing your ride? It's only money, but a dream come true is priceless.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

trade in will most likely be $6500-7000 max. A '98 Z28 isn't worth that much to most dealers, especially since they can only finance it for 3 years. Unless it has ultra-low miles, I think it would be hard to get over $10K for it if you sell it.

Get the C6, they are much nicer than C5s, and if you get the C5 you will only regret it later if the C6 is what you really want.

Talk to Huffines Chevy in Plano, they sold me mine at invoice minus rebates. Very easy to deal with, worth the drive from Houston.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would say your best bet on selling it would be to try and sell it on a board like this, where a lot of the people looking to buy a car are in the market for something you are offering. Good luck on the sale and post pictures of your vette if you get one
Old 12-01-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for their info, I'm still not sure what i'm going to do at this point.

I'm thinking of putting this on hold for a while, Save up the down payment, keep my Z and have both.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I sold my first Camaro because I needed the cash to buy my house. It was a big deal for me, I have owned well over 15 vehicles in 10 years and I had my first 98 Z for 5 years. I rarely drove it, it was garaged, and it was a clean car. It hurt when I sold it, but I don't miss it anymore. I missed having a fun car, so I picked up another 98Z (more miles not as nice) about a year later and it will hold me over until I decide its time for a Vette. I don't keep cars very long though. And right now, all my cars stay outside. All depends on your financial situation if you can still meet your Vette goal by saving up the cash and keeping the Z, that may not be a bad idea. Your camaro will still depreciate, but its always nice to have a solid reliable car thats paid off. And if you need the cash, you know the camaro wouldn't be too hard to sell.