best garage coating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default best garage coating?

i'm buying a house soon and want to coat the garage floor before i fill it up with stuff!!

i saw the U-coat-it display at the dallas auto show and thought it looked good, but maybe just a little expensive for something you have to do yourself.

what are other people using out there? i'm interested in hearing both good and bad experiences. i want to do it right the first time, so i'm looking for best bang for the buck, not necessaily super budget.

garage is a two car garage, i believe it is 21x25
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend not coating it with paint. If it does not work out you will have a mess. Go with vinyl tile or the tile made for garages.

I feel this way because I bought a house that had the garage painted...the house caught my eye in a small part because the garage looked so good. As soon as I ran my car on it the paint started to come up. It took me no shitting....at least 30 hours of labor to blast the paint off with a pressure washer and then it still looked like ****.

Tiles either vinyl or garage purpose is my vote.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm in the same situation, but I want to do mine before I put my house on the market. I've seen some garage floor coating somewhere but can't remember where I saw them. Definately don't use paint though.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Default Best Garage Coating

If you do paint the garage floor, look at epoxy based paints. I used paint from Griot's Garage www.griotsgarage.com.

Follow the instructions, acid etch the floor and do the other pre-paint preparations and you will have a great looking garage floor.

Concrete paints that I have seen which are not epoxy based will fairly quickly begin to pull up when hot tires are rolled onto them and often will peel/bubble when chemicals or fuels spill onto the finish.

Jeff
Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

i was more so interested in the coatings vs the rubber/vinyl tiles because i want something thats chemical resistant and easy to clean up if it gets oil on it or whatnot.

i dont see the tiles being cleanable at all, and everything would just drip down to the concrete
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

what about that race deck stuff? I know it's expensive but there are other cheaper versions out there but I think that stuff would be pretty cool. Plus if the floor cracks this stuff wouldn't but the coatings would crack along with the floor.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Launching!

my dad did a 2pt epoxy setup with 2 color fleck in it. looks awesome. its not as 'pro' looking as checkered tiles. but you can drop crap on it and not worry about the tools chipping, or the floor chipping. he went with blue, and to be honest that large of an area being BLUE looks a bit harsh. id go with a neutral or warm grey or something, or light white maybe.
only neg thing i see is the bright color on a big room being a bit to much, and if its a dark color its hard to see its dirty/where anything spilled is like oil unless you look at an angle and let the light hit it. but i think that would be solved with a lighter color and no fleck.

t
Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the stuff from http://www.gallantgarage.com/. worked great and it wouldn't come up. You can see pics of my garage at www.3907dixiefarm.cs.net.
Jeff
Old 04-03-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Hey Matt, get a hold of Eric he works for sherwin williams they have alot of different floor epoxy in many colors. He should be able to help you out and plus get a discount.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have done three garages .. the first one with some cheap crap .. the last two with U-Coat-It ..

I will never use anything else .. awesome product .. easy to apply, and worth every penny .. can't speak highly enough about it .. I have never had a problem with it .. no peeling, nto staining, etc .. just works .
Old 04-03-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

chad, good idea! i forgot he worked there... i'll ask him what they suggest

gipraw, did you use the fleck, or just the smooth? and is it slippery?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
gipraw, did you use the fleck, or just the smooth? and is it slippery?
I used the UFlek-AF kit .. granite flek .. it comes with an additive to prevent slipping .. I use it around my sink, but no where else .. I can get a little slippery with some fluid ont he floor, but it is not bad, and It is easier to clean up than the heavily textured stuff ..
Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine with the kit from sherwin williams, and it worked amazing. Its a 2 part epoxy kit, and I put blue white and black flakes on top. It was a pain in the *** to apply, but looks good! the only thing i regret is that I have a 2 car garage, and the floor is rough, I wish I would have used 3 kits insted of 2.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BBADWS6
I did mine with the kit from sherwin williams, and it worked amazing. Its a 2 part epoxy kit, and I put blue white and black flakes on top. It was a pain in the *** to apply, but looks good! the only thing i regret is that I have a 2 car garage, and the floor is rough, I wish I would have used 3 kits insted of 2.
what kit did you use and what was the approximate cost? do they have a bunch of different ones? i tried going to SW's website, and i only saw floor coatings under their 'industrial' section. for 'homeowner' they just had concrete sealants and stuff.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

epoxy the floor. my dad did it to all of our garages before we moved in ( over 14 diff houses ) and it's held up the best. Dispite numerous engine rebuilds and other such activities.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Used U-Coat it throughout our assembly rooms, etc. Definitely well worth it. It works great.

let me find some pics of it. We used the Fleck stuff too.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

There's a product that's made by someone else that has Quick-Crete's name on it...you can get it at most hardware stores.....Ive seen a lady come in to the store that purchansed the first from us (local Ace Hardware) and applied it herself....looked AWESOME.....as far as wear goes it still looks great (2 years later) and she is not very nice to it. It's an epoxy like the others have mentioned.....Careful with the drying time with the epoxy's though...most of their drying times do not take into account our south-east texas heat. Ive talked to several people that have tried putting an epoxy on by themselves and they were in a rush to get done before it started setting up. I'd try to shoot for about 15 minutes BEFORE the STATED drying time.

FYI
Old 04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

also, are there companies that will do it for you? i just wanna explore my options, and if its not a lot of money, i might just pay someone to do it.

or heck, if some locals with experience doing this will work for pizza and beer...