LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Texas Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members-54/)
-   -   Final opinions...New Tundra Vs. New Chevy (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/704569-final-opinions-new-tundra-vs-new-chevy.html)

WildBills Toyota 04-27-2007 03:31 PM

Final opinions...New Tundra Vs. New Chevy

Ok, I know alot of yall talk alot of crap about me posting shit about cars Im going to buy and thats cause im very picky and cheap. haha. I have to get the best for my money..And in the past yall have not steered my wrong when it came to my ls1 cars.

Ive decided between these 2 trucks...The truck will not be for hauling or off road. Will just be to drive and occasionaly move stuff.

The new tundra had better technology with the 6 speed tranny and WAYY better brake system than the chevy...Also the tundra has alot more power. The chevy on the other hand is a CHEVY....AMERICAN....still a nice truck. Alittle smaller then the tundra but also can be had for cheaper. The two trucks im comparing are both Texas Editions..both come stock with 20's, running boards.....Im leaning more towards the tundra but the chevy has some cool features. 100k warranty...remote start and gets alittle better fuel economy on the freeway.
Give me your opinions please.

blackmaro99 04-27-2007 03:37 PM

If it's just to drive occasionally and move stuff I wouldn't be so worried about the hwy mpg's or the remote start.

Does the 100k warranty cover everything important?

Generally I would say buy an American made vehicle, but don't let that be your deciding factor. Toyota makes a good truck these days somehow. Although I have heard their commercials are BS.

bandit4 04-27-2007 03:37 PM

The Brakes Are Not Better In The Tundra. They Gtell You They Are Better But Check The Stopping Distance And The Chevy Is Better. Also With Their Fancy 6 Speed Tranny The Gas Mileage Is Still Worse. I Would Stay Away From The Toyota. I Will Bet You That They Will Have Some Big Recalls Like Their Cars Have As Well Right Now. Toyota Is Growing To Fast To Make A Good Truck Right Now. Hell I Work For A Ford Dealer So I Am Neutral. I Would Buy The Chevy.

99Silverado5.3 04-27-2007 03:37 PM

Silverado with VHO package.

The reason the brakes are so big is because the Tundra weighs a lot.

camarossdn 04-27-2007 03:46 PM

I would go with the Chevy. The 100k mile warranty covers alot more than you think. I work at a chevrolet dealer, but my girlfriend drives a 06 4runner.

Nine Ball 04-27-2007 03:50 PM

Both are nice trucks, I'd go with a more proven LSX engine in the GM trucks though. Who cares about six speeds if they get worse gas mileage? GM also has a pretty sweet rear differential in their 2wd trucks that nearly makes 4x4 trucks obsolete. That thing senses which wheel has traction and applies it to the proper tire. Saw some cool vids on it in action.

Flip a coin, you probably will like either of them.

slow14U 04-27-2007 04:01 PM

Although the tundra isn't american, it is made in the U.S.A.

thunder550 04-27-2007 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by slow14U
Although the tundra isn't american, it is made in the U.S.A.

...and my Chevy was made in Canada. Hard to tell what's foreign and what's domestic anymore.

G-Z06 04-27-2007 04:34 PM

TUNDRA!

We got ours a few weeks ago and its killer.

I need to post up some pics

WildBills Toyota 04-27-2007 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by G-Z06
TUNDRA!

We got ours a few weeks ago and its killer.

I need to post up some pics

hell ya let me see it...and what one did you get?

Dragaholic 04-27-2007 04:44 PM

No offense to those who have one or like 'em, but I think the new Tundra look like :barf:

I'm just not a fan of the looks. Too curvy for me. Now this is just my opinion, which is what you were asking for.

If it were between the new Tundra and Chevy, the Chevy hands down. But me personally, I like the GMCs way better.

WildBills Toyota 04-27-2007 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 99Silverado5.3
Silverado with VHO package.

The reason the brakes are so big is because the Tundra weighs a lot.

vho??

bandit4 04-27-2007 04:46 PM

I Do Like The Tundra Interior. But The Outside Is Fugly. The Grill Looks Terrible. The Only Cool Thing Is The Size Of The Crew Cab Back Doors. They Are Huge And The Seats Recline In Back. Other Than That I Dont Like The Looks.

GTOpowered240sx 04-27-2007 04:56 PM

I would deffinately go with the proven GM truck. It may have less power but its faster, gets better MPG and tows more, which points to why the Tundra has such big brakes, its heavy.

ALso, dont go by the toyota commercials, they have been proven to be misleading. Like the see saw one. They made out like it was hauling 10000 lbs up the see saw, but it was actually a TOTAL of 10000 lbs including the truck. And when it was going down the see saw, they talked about how strong the brakes were stopping all that weight but it was later said that the trailer had trailer brakes and we all know that trailer brakes do most of the stopping down hills.

I like the tundra also, but I hate it when they try to decieve you in commercials. Just like every time I hear Ford claim thier trucks have been the best selling trucks. Nowhere near true when you compare GM and Ford truck sales, and we all know the GMC's and Chevrolet trucks are the same truck.

Good luck on your purchase either way. I'm sure you'd enjoy them both a lot!

WildBills Toyota 04-27-2007 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by GTOpowered240sx
I would deffinately go with the proven GM truck. It may have less power but its faster, gets better MPG and tows more, which points to why the Tundra has such big brakes, its heavy.

ALso, dont go by the toyota commercials, they have been proven to be misleading. Like the see saw one. They made out like it was hauling 10000 lbs up the see saw, but it was actually a TOTAL of 10000 lbs including the truck. And when it was going down the see saw, they talked about how strong the brakes were stopping all that weight but it was later said that the trailer had trailer brakes and we all know that trailer brakes do most of the stopping down hills.

I like the tundra also, but I hate it when they try to decieve you in commercials. Just like every time I hear Ford claim thier trucks have been the best selling trucks. Nowhere near true when you compare GM and Ford truck sales, and we all know the GMC's and Chevrolet trucks are the same truck.

Good luck on your purchase either way. I'm sure you'd enjoy them both a lot!

your the 1st guy to say the chevy is faster? anyone else coment on this..I mean I realy dont care how fast it is...its a truck

hardtopz28 04-27-2007 04:59 PM

The tundra is ugly as sin. But we test drove the gmc z71 and the new tundra hands down the tundra is the best truck out there. The yota has alot of power im a firm believer in the chevy/gmc trucks but man once you test drive the tundra all that goes out the window when you feel the shear power over the gmc or chevy. There both fine trucks, its whatever you like. looks=gmc or chevy. Power=tundra :devil:

GTOpowered240sx 04-27-2007 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by WildBills WS6/SS
your the 1st guy to say the chevy is faster? anyone else coment on this..I mean I realy dont care how fast it is...its a truck

True

I believe it was popular mechanics I read the shoot out in. Im sure its minimal and even different in other magazines' shoot outs.

GTOpowered240sx 04-27-2007 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by hardtopz28
The tundra is ugly as sin. But we test drove the gmc z71 and the new tundra hands down the tundra is the best truck out there. The yota has alot of power im a firm believer in the chevy/gmc trucks but man once you test drive the tundra all that goes out the window when you feel the shear power over the gmc or chevy. There both fine trucks, its whatever you like. looks=gmc or chevy. Power=tundra :devil:

Didnt GM get Truck of the year from Motortrend?

steveo346 04-27-2007 05:10 PM

chevy hands down.....u can very easily make them look pimp

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/steveo346/ss.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...46/SEMA10c.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...46/SEMA11c.jpg

thunder550 04-27-2007 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by GTOpowered240sx
Didnt GM get Truck of the year from Motortrend?

I heard that was because the Tundra wasn't even in the running because it wasn't officially out yet or something. Also heard that MT did a review later of the TOTY and the Tundra and that they rated the Tundra higher. I haven't seen any proof of either statement for myself, just repeating what I heard from someone else.

1936FordPU 04-27-2007 06:25 PM

Ok, I know alot of yall talk alot of crap about me posting shit about cars Im going to buy and thats cause im very picky and cheap. haha. I have to get the best for my money..And in the past yall have not steered my wrong when it came to my ls1 cars.

Ive decided between these 2 trucks...The truck will not be for hauling or off road. Will just be to drive and occasionaly move stuff.

The new tundra had better technology with the 6 speed tranny and WAYY better brake system than the chevy...Also the tundra has alot more power. The chevy on the other hand is a CHEVY....AMERICAN....still a nice truck. Alittle smaller then the tundra but also can be had for cheaper. The two trucks im comparing are both Texas Editions..both come stock with 20's, running boards.....Im leaning more towards the tundra but the chevy has some cool features. 100k warranty...remote start and gets alittle better fuel economy on the freeway.
Give me your opinions please.

My bro has three for his business and dogs the piss outof them daily with trailers. Tundra all the way. I do the maintenance on them and the only thing major thats been replaced was a transmission at 175K.

slowredz 04-27-2007 06:30 PM

Nissan Titan :drive:

mycamaroSS 04-27-2007 07:17 PM

NEW TUNDRA FTW their so badass

01FormulaTA 04-27-2007 07:17 PM

Tundra FTW, I have test driven both trucks......Tundra is a much higher quality truck, from the interior to the motor, everything just feels so much nicer than the chevy, but thats my opinion

solid95z 04-27-2007 09:22 PM

I worked at Toyota for 2 years until recently and was invited to the Tundra Launch this past Jan. before the trucks release. The Tundra is the better truck. We were able to take the trucks and beat the crap out of them (braking course, acceleration, slalom, towing). The chevy in my opinion was 2nd, then the ford, dodge & titan. The Tundra pulled a trailer better, stopped better, accelerated better drove smother. Over all an all around better truck. I have a 2005 Z71 and will probably be selling it and getting a Tundra Crew Max 4x4.

swayoveride 04-27-2007 10:13 PM

Been a chevy fan all my life but about a month ago the family was in the market for a new truck. I went and test drove the 07 Tundra and the 07 Z71 and hands down the Toyota felt better all around, needless to say there is an 07 Tundra access cab w/ the TRD Offroad Package in my driveway now along with an 04 Ford Crewcab and a 99 5.3 Sierra...

v8 04-27-2007 10:17 PM

rcsb truck full weight paper tags went 14.16@96mph tundra that is.

1320FEVER 04-27-2007 11:26 PM

I think they're both ugly trucks. The new Avalanche looks 10x better than both of those. Great truck, if you can call it that..

WildBills Toyota 04-28-2007 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by swayoveride
Been a chevy fan all my life but about a month ago the family was in the market for a new truck. I went and test drove the 07 Tundra and the 07 Z71 and hands down the Toyota felt better all around, needless to say there is an 07 Tundra access cab w/ the TRD Offroad Package in my driveway now along with an 04 Ford Crewcab and a 99 5.3 Sierra...

if you dont mind me asking what did you pay and what options did you get

WildBills Toyota 04-28-2007 06:26 AM

Ok guys Im gonna go to each dealer with my trade in and see who gives me the best bang for my buck deal....I know the Tundra is going to cost more but if chevy can come out like 5-6k less for prety much the same options as the tundra I might go chevy

crabbeater 04-28-2007 08:39 AM

you should watch the NASCAR Truck series. Whichever truck that wins. is your pick.

:eek2:

capn smokey 04-28-2007 04:19 PM

I work at a toyota dealer. you should come buy a tundra from me(I will let you rag the shit out of it, most salesman won't). The trucks are paired pretty evenly but the tundra will completely assrape a chevy by like 40 car lengths in a race, seriously. it will also outhandle, brake, and tow better. btw i work at toyota of fort worth(#8 in the nation, #1 in texas). moritz chevy is next door to us if you dont like the tundra.

-Ross- 04-28-2007 06:06 PM

Chevy with a Vortec Max 6.0 = 367hp

ZONES89RS 04-28-2007 06:27 PM

Well, if power is an issue...Chevy does have an option to buy the 6.0 in a 1500, it is ladeled the HD last i checked, i am sure it would walk the Toyota, but, i am anti import for trucks, we started the full size truck, we will finish it.

Venkman 04-28-2007 06:57 PM

The chevy on the other hand is a CHEVY....AMERICAN

I hate to break it to you, but the Toyota is more american these days.

Dont believe me?

Where are most GM vehicles built these days? Mexico and Canada.

Where is the Chevy, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, and Saturn customer assistance centers at? The Phillipines (sp) and Argentina.

WildBills Toyota 04-28-2007 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well, if power is an issue...Chevy does have an option to buy the 6.0 in a 1500, it is ladeled the HD last i checked, i am sure it would walk the Toyota, but, i am anti import for trucks, we started the full size truck, we will finish it.

I dont know man go drive the tundra then come back and repost :)

Nine Ball 04-28-2007 07:09 PM

Where they are built doesn't matter. The minimal jobs that import corporations bring with their factories are miniscule in comparison to the money that Americans spend that ends up in Japan. When you buy a Canadian built GM vehicle, the profit stays in the USA and our own economy.

I'm not a diehard brand loyalist, just passing that info along.

UB2SLO 04-28-2007 07:15 PM

Just go test drive them and get the one you like.

WS.6#384 04-28-2007 07:19 PM

buy the Chevy, put a 125 shot on it. Feel proud to buy AMERICAN.

swayoveride 04-28-2007 08:15 PM

Ya, thats the really on only thing you can do is go and test drive them and pick the one you like....

cantdrv65 04-28-2007 09:55 PM

I just think its comical that everyone believes the advertisements of "biggest brakes", drives the yota then thinks it stops faster when in fact the Chevy beat the Tundra hands down in braking tests.....among most other specs. :jest:

ZONES89RS 04-28-2007 10:18 PM

I dont know man go drive the tundra then come back and repost :)

I know i am hard headed, but i refuse to drive anything that ugly... :jest:

408zo6 04-28-2007 11:19 PM

go w the chevy f%#k the toy :barf:

meangreen94z 04-29-2007 12:18 AM

I've sat in both(havent driven either though) and I thought the Chevy had the better build quality inside. Didnt care for the split style dash in the toyota.

aggie95z28 04-29-2007 02:57 AM

I just picked up my GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB with the 6.0 PowerMax option and all HD trailering pkg and I love it so far (300 miles! :) ) It's a Z71 2wd and has almost all the options (SLE2 with a lot of add-ons). The comparable Toyota stickered a few thousand more. Yes, in the SOTP acceleration the toyota had a decent pick-up, but the LS motor pulls like a beast up top. LOL, like I needed to tell you guys that. :devil: I drove both and was able to rag pretty hard on the Toy. The TRD was a little smoother but the fit and finish of the truck just didn't compare IMHO to the GMC. I also didn't like the fact that the Ex Cab Toy has 4 normal doors instead of the suicide doors (and mine open a full 170 degrees!).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e/IMG_2232.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e/IMG_2226.jpg

WildBills Toyota 04-29-2007 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I just think its comical that everyone believes the advertisements of "biggest brakes", drives the yota then thinks it stops faster when in fact the Chevy beat the Tundra hands down in braking tests.....among most other specs. :jest:

a few people have said this but no one has been able to show me....The yota has 4 disc where the chevy has drums in the back.....how could it stop faster with having old style drums in the rear. Also, what other aspects did the chevy win in?

Nine Ball 04-29-2007 06:55 AM

that white Z71 looks kick ass Aggie. I didn't realize they made 2wd Z71 trucks now. Good to know. What is the 6.0L engine rated at fuel economy wise?

-Ross- 04-29-2007 08:57 AM

a few people have said this but no one has been able to show me....The yota has 4 disc where the chevy has drums in the back.....how could it stop faster with having old style drums in the rear. Also, what other aspects did the chevy win in?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...dra/specs.html
The braking appears to be identical in this "head to head" matchup. So, I guess just because Toyota spends a crap-load of money on a dumbass commercial and says their brakes are so great doesn't mean they actually are any better.
This was comparing the 5.3 (315hp) Silverado with the 5.7 (381hp) Toyota, so don't be fooled with the lopsided acceleration comparison.
The price of the Tundra is $5k higher...The VortecMax is a $1k option.

The Silverado is safer in a frontal crash.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5042

Get one with a VortecMax 6.0 w/ 367hp and give it a couple of minor bolt-ons (CAI & exhaust). Don't forget how big the aftermarket is for the LSX powered vehicles and how well they respond to mods.

To me, it sounds like you're already sold on the Tundra, so just get what you want.

1320FEVER 04-29-2007 10:40 AM

Have any of you considered the new Avalanche?
http://www.autobase.com/photos/large/02848570.jpg

My dad bought one last year and this truck is amazing. Everytime I drive it I want one.

Go test drive one before you buy either of those trucks and you'll see what I mean. The level of detail that the engineers went to in this truck is amazing!

The ride quality is as smooth as any car, but it'll tow my dads boat like it wasn't even there. The turning radius is so tight you will not have to back into parking spaces anymore (the only thing I don't like about my Sierra).

It comes with many extras that you have to pay for when buying a truck such as a bed liner, bed cover, etc.

It will hold a full sheet of plywood without leaving the tailgate down. It fits perfect! I can't do this with my full size sierra.

Don't let the high price tag fool you either, you can get the stripped down version that still comes with plenty of options. After you negotiate, and with all of the rebates, you won't pay that much more than a similarly equipped silverado/sierra.

Man there are so many things that I haven't mentioned that this truck has. I love driving it and plan to get one later this year. Go test drive one before you make your decision..

IRace2ChevyII 04-29-2007 11:16 AM

We were never truck people but wanted something to tow the old cars to the track and it never fails there is always something to be moved or hauled so in September last year we went shopping and picked up an '07 Avalanche. Hands down, no regrets what so ever! LOVE IT!

G-Z06 04-29-2007 11:30 AM

hell ya let me see it...and what one did you get?

We got a 2007 4door 4x4 SR5

Its hands down the best truck I have driven, and its a beast on the road.

The price is more then the Chevys, this one was around $45000

Ill take pics as soon as I can get ahold of a camera.

SHINER 04-29-2007 11:31 AM

2WD Z71??

Is that basically a 2WD with bilstein shocks, and wheels?

sirusboy 04-29-2007 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Where they are built doesn't matter. The minimal jobs that import corporations bring with their factories are miniscule in comparison to the money that Americans spend that ends up in Japan. When you buy a Canadian built GM vehicle, the profit stays in the USA and our own economy.

If an American company can't compete with another foreign company, that is their problem. Our economy is booming right now... We shouldn't have to sacrifice what we want "for the good of the country." And when was the last time you heard of car companies doing something for us?

Nine Ball 04-29-2007 12:49 PM

Car companies give us the availability of the LS1, LS2, LS7, LS3, Z06, SRT-8, supercharged Cobras, etc....

I'd say they are giving us enthusiasts some nice choices, especially compared to only 10 years ago. Don't let the old timers fool you, today are the musclecar glory years.

BizZzatch350 04-29-2007 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SHINER
2WD Z71??

Is that basically a 2WD with bilstein shocks, and wheels?

Z71 Off-Road Package, includes (Z71) Off-Road Suspension Package, (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (NZZ) Skid Plate Package and (K47) high-capacity air cleaner (PDL) $625.00

Phil8616 04-29-2007 01:42 PM

Exaclty, just because they throw a truck factory in Texas doesnt mean that the product is fully American made. The majority of the parts still come from Japan and all the profits go there also. Ill admit Im mostly biased to GM, but the new Tundra just means GM will come out with even better trucks and more powerful engines. Ive road in my coworkers 07 Z71 and it is by far the best fit and finished truck Ive ever been in. Either truck Im sure you will be happy with, just go for the better deal I guess.

sirusboy 04-29-2007 01:42 PM

Car companies give us the availability of the LS1, LS2, LS7, LS3, Z06, SRT-8, supercharged Cobras, etc....

I'd say they are giving us enthusiasts some nice choices, especially compared to only 10 years ago. Don't let the old timers fool you, today are the musclecar glory years.

Huh? I'm not sure if you were responding to me or someone else. If you were responding to me, I don't really see what relevance that has. If a consumer feels that a foreign car is a higher quality (thus, better car), they shouldn't have to choose "American" so the profit stays in the U.S. It doesn't matter if they give us engine options...

Phil8616 04-29-2007 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by sirusboy
Huh? I'm not sure if you were responding to me or someone else. If you were responding to me, I don't really see what relevance that has. If a consumer feels that a foreign car is a higher quality (thus, better car), they shouldn't have to choose "American" so the profit stays in the U.S. It doesn't matter if they give us engine options...

The point is that Americans stereotype any Japanese or import vehicle in general as excellent quality/reliability. They also think that domestic vehicles are the opposite, while that might have been true a decade or so ago, the new vehicles from GM/Ford/DCX are just as good if not better by initial quality and fit and finish. Didnt Toyota recall like 600,000 cars last year? Ill stick with GM until I have problems with any of my vehicles...

sirusboy 04-29-2007 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Phil8616
The point is that Americans stereotype any Japanese or import vehicle in general as excellent quality/reliability. They also think that domestic vehicles are the opposite, while that might have been true a decade or so ago, the new vehicles from GM/Ford/DCX are just as good if not better by initial quality and fit and finish. Didnt Toyota recall like 600,000 cars last year? Ill stick with GM until I have problems with any of my vehicles...

Well, I wasn't referring to the quality at all. I was just pointing out that the consumer shouldn't buy solely because "it's American", regardless of its true quality.

I don't really know enough about the quality of each car company to make a valid statement about them. In terms of the recalls though, doesn't every company have its share of recalls?

1320FEVER 04-29-2007 02:25 PM

The point is that Americans stereotype any Japanese or import vehicle in general as excellent quality/reliability. They also think that domestic vehicles are the opposite,

You won't catch me stereotyping imports as higher quality...I have an '02 Acura TL thats on its third transmission, new motor mounts at 80k miles, and a few other (electrical) problems. On top of that, I can't even give the car away for 10k (I paid 32k new). I thought Acura was supposed to have a high resale value and superior quality?? That car has been more troublesome than all the GM cars that I've owned combined. And I've NEVER had any problems selling any of my GM cars and getting decent prices for them. I'm sticking w/ GM from here on out..

Phil8616 04-29-2007 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sirusboy
Well, I wasn't referring to the quality at all. I was just pointing out that the consumer shouldn't buy solely because "it's American", regardless of its true quality.

I don't really know enough about the quality of each car company to make a valid statement about them. In terms of the recalls though, doesn't every company have its share of recalls?

Thats understandable, but people shouldnt do the opposite and not buy American cars because they are "American". The recall part was just a point that even import makers have problems and flaws with their models and not just a few.

Phil8616 04-29-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1320FEVER
You won't catch me stereotyping imports as higher quality...I have an '02 Acura TL thats on its third transmission, new motor mounts at 80k miles, and a few other (electrical) problems. On top of that, I can't even give the car away for 10k (I paid 32k new). I thought Acura was supposed to have a high resale value and superior quality?? That car has been more troublesome than all the GM cars that I've owned combined. And I've NEVER had any problems selling any of my GM cars and getting decent prices for them. I'm sticking w/ GM from here on out..

Yeah, I havent had a problem with any GM product either. Ive had 3 vehicles so far, each with over 100k, no problems besides normal maintenance. OK sorry for the hijack Im done. :chug:

Nick K 04-29-2007 03:41 PM

Ummm, I think it's time for you to change your sig?

Nissan Titan FTW!

sirusboy 04-29-2007 03:45 PM

Thats understandable, but people shouldnt do the opposite and not buy American cars because they are "American". The recall part was just a point that even import makers have problems and flaws with their models and not just a few.

I agree... I know a few people that will never buy a domestic car, just because of how unreliable they think they are.

But yes, to the original poster, sorry for the hijack. I'm done too. :)

ZONES89RS 04-29-2007 07:35 PM

Actually...drum brakes stop better, but disc fade WAY less and do not heat up even half as fast.

SRfastZ 04-29-2007 09:24 PM

chevy FTW !!!!!!!!!!

aggie95z28 04-30-2007 12:58 AM

that white Z71 looks kick ass Aggie. I didn't realize they made 2wd Z71 trucks now. Good to know. What is the 6.0L engine rated at fuel economy wise?

Thanks!

The 2wd Z71 is new this year. As stated before it's the exact same as the 4x4 just minus the transfer case and front axles. Mine came with the HD pkg too, which adds oil and tranny coolers, HD tranny and 9.5" rear (supposedly the rear-end in these things is AWESOME) and 3.73 gears. It'll tow up to 10.5k lbs.

The 6.0L has active fuel mgmt so the sticker claims 15 and 19 mpg. I haven't tested it much yet so I'm not sure. My first week I've been on it quite a bit just having fun!

My only complaints with it so far are small modifications I can change. The rear fenderwells are body colored, I'm going to make them black with undercoating. The front needs to be raised an inch or so to flatten out the stance. And it needs a bedliner. Any good recommendations?

Oh, and I'm picking up my factory (Regency conv. type) billet grille on Tues., should look awesome!

WildBills Toyota 04-30-2007 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by aggie95z28
Thanks!

The 2wd Z71 is new this year. As stated before it's the exact same as the 4x4 just minus the transfer case and front axles. Mine came with the HD pkg too, which adds oil and tranny coolers, HD tranny and 9.5" rear (supposedly the rear-end in these things is AWESOME) and 3.73 gears. It'll tow up to 10.5k lbs.

The 6.0L has active fuel mgmt so the sticker claims 15 and 19 mpg. I haven't tested it much yet so I'm not sure. My first week I've been on it quite a bit just having fun!

My only complaints with it so far are small modifications I can change. The rear fenderwells are body colored, I'm going to make them black with undercoating. The front needs to be raised an inch or so to flatten out the stance. And it needs a bedliner. Any good recommendations?

Oh, and I'm picking up my factory (Regency conv. type) billet grille on Tues., should look awesome!

man there is no way I will walk out of a dealarship without them putting a bedliner in my truck. all trucks should come standard with them these days imo

Nine Ball 04-30-2007 10:31 AM

I disagree Bill, a bedliner on a brand new truck is a waste of money. Think about it, they take your brand new paint and scuff/sand it all up and then spray that stuff down. You could just put a simple $50 rubber bed mat in the truck and it will last for years. When (if) the bed gets f-cked up you could always have a bed liner sprayed in down the road and it will look brand new again.

I had a rubber mat in my dually, and now have one in my '06 Dodge. Those mats hold up great and the only thing that gets scratched occasionally is the sides of the bed. Even after 40K miles it wasn't that bad.

playtoy 04-30-2007 01:31 PM

I don't know what their options are but I have 4 wheel disc on my 07 GMC crew cab, and it will feels like it will stop almost as good as my T/A.(when it had factory brakes

Dragaholic 04-30-2007 01:41 PM

aggie95z28, where are you located? I had my truck sprayed at Line-X of Friendswood. They're the only authorized dealer around. I think the next closest one is in Dallas. They did an awesome job and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a bed liner. It much better in so many ways than Rhino.

aggie95z28 05-05-2007 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by playtoy
I don't know what their options are but I have 4 wheel disc on my 07 GMC crew cab, and it will feels like it will stop almost as good as my T/A.(when it had factory brakes

Where did you find products for yours? I can't seem to find much aftermarket available for the 6.0 yet! Everything is for 4.8 and 5.3's. And yes, mine has the crazy looking drums in the back. Supposedly they're way superior compared to old school drum setups.

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
aggie95z28, where are you located? I had my truck sprayed at Line-X of Friendswood. They're the only authorized dealer around. I think the next closest one is in Dallas. They did an awesome job and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a bed liner. It much better in so many ways than Rhino.

I'm in DFW. Where is that Line-X dealer?? I've heard great things about their product!

playtoy 05-06-2007 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=aggie95z28]Where did you find products for yours? I can't seem to find much aftermarket available for the 6.0 yet! Everything is for 4.8 and 5.3's. And yes, mine has the crazy looking drums in the back. Supposedly they're way superior compared to old school drum setups.QUOTE]

All I have done is exaust and a little bit of tuning. I haven't been lookong for any products yet. Maybe after I get the T/A running again I will start changing things out on the truck.

v8 05-06-2007 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by aggie95z28
Where did you find products for yours? I can't seem to find much aftermarket available for the 6.0 yet! Everything is for 4.8 and 5.3's. And yes, mine has the crazy looking drums in the back. Supposedly they're way superior compared to old school drum setups.

I'm in DFW. Where is that Line-X dealer?? I've heard great things about their product!

4.8,5.3,5.7,6.0 same, there all interchangeable go to www.performancetrucks.net you can and will learn alot about trucks there.

GTOpowered240sx 05-06-2007 05:13 PM

This is very true. I read about how most of these opinions are derived from the 70's and 80's, when gas mileage was also a big factor in the choices made due to the price increases. None of these standards are true now, especially the MPG in the full size trucks in question. I always thought it was funny that the import guys that bashed V8's first arguement was MPG, but now that they are trying to play the V8 game they cant keep up.

The good thing though, is that this ignorant stereotyping is getting fewer and farther between. A lot of it because of people buying into this stereotype, only to learn they were wrong. My father is an example of this with his crappy Lexus cars, and one acura. His current DD is a new Z71. I've owned mostly domestic, but out of the few imports I have owned Nissan has been the only that has been good to me.

But on top of all this, in regards to the stereotyping, ask yourself if you've seen more reliable high mileage (200K and above) domestics or imports? For me its domestics hands down. My business has owned numerous GM trucks that went well over 300K, and I have yet to rebuild one before I sold it. As for the imports, I have seen a few, but nowhere near as many.

But as far as which truck to the OP goes, my preference would be the GM for many reasons. But in all honesty with todays standards, there is a very slim chance you'll be disappointed with either. It reminds me of when I pick up a new bike, its my nature to tear them appart to get the best one. But in truth the slim differences in thier performance mean nothing, especially at the track. Unless you're using these trucks to thier limits, most of the differences won't be apparent.

Sorry for the rant :jest:

brady346 05-06-2007 05:24 PM

Why not a Dodge diesel? WAY better: fuel mileage, towing ability, pimp factor (4X4 will fit 35's or so stock under the fenderwells), longevity, ability to add ~200hp with a plug in programmer that will then 'smoke' both the Chev. and Yoda. I had a 6.0 2500HD, 4.10, 4l80E CC SB Chevy and that thing wouldnt pull its own ass although it ran ok on the highway and got 14mpg. Now have a Cummins and wouldnt take for it.

Tamatt27 05-06-2007 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by brady346
Why not a Dodge diesel? WAY better: fuel mileage, towing ability, pimp factor (4X4 will fit 35's or so stock under the fenderwells), longevity, ability to add ~200hp with a plug in programmer that will then 'smoke' both the Chev. and Yoda. I had a 6.0 2500HD, 4.10, 4l80E CC SB Chevy and that thing wouldnt pull its own ass although it ran ok on the highway and got 14mpg. Now have a Cummins and wouldnt take for it.

With a Duramax you get the Allison. Far superior tranny than what's in most full size trucks.

brady346 05-06-2007 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tamatt27
With a Duramax you get the Allison. Far superior tranny than what's in most full size trucks.

You also get nearly twice as moving parts in the engine(more to break), injector problems as soon as you drive off the car lot, a truck that feels like a car, a truck that stays at 3000rpm with a load on tow/haul mode, extreme tire size limitations, and a v8 diesel exhaust note....which blows. This is jmo, and trust me you get addicted to low rpm inline turbo diesel power, not a high revving v8 setup.

Dragaholic 05-06-2007 08:31 PM

I'm not biased because I've had 3 gasoline trucks and 1 diesel. I'll never go back to a gasoline truck again. Yes, a diesel is more expensive up front, but its well worth it. 360hp/650tq from the factory, not to mention the 225hp that I've added from the programmer, the full 4" exhaust, boost controller, modified stock air intake, Transgo Jr. shift kit, etc., I know I'll put down close to 500 rwhp and over 900 rwtq just on level 4. Now if I had the tranny to support it, I could load level 6 which is 350 additional hp. This truck hauls ass to say the least. Not only that, it will pull anything I'd ever need to pull. I purchased my truck merely to pull my car, but one thing lead to another.

As far as brady346's comment, I've never had a single problem with my truck. I've had it for a year and 5 months, with 14k miles on it. The only thing I've had to take it in for is the intermediate steering shaft replacement, which has been a common problem on several trucks and SUVs for quite some time, and leaky passenger battery.

My truck rides like stock if not better with my 4" lift. I've installed Bilstein shocks to go with it, which improved the ride of the truck. Its all about how you do it and spending the extra dough to do it right.

Not sure what you mean about the extreme tire size limitations as I'm running 35s with no problem. My tuner will correct all the way up to a 44.5" tall tire.

My exhaust note is like no other. Doesn't sound like a Dodge, Doesn't sound like a Ford. It has a unique sound. If I had one word to describe it, I would say jet. Its aggressive at WOT and mellow at part throttle. I love the sound of my exhaust. I personally don't like the sound of Dodge's, way too loud and undefined. The Fords sound good, but too poppy when you remove the cat. I know this because I've done them on Fords.

brady346 05-06-2007 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I'm not biased because I've had 3 gasoline trucks and 1 diesel. I'll never go back to a gasoline truck again. Yes, a diesel is more expensive up front, but its well worth it. 360hp/650tq from the factory, not to mention the 225hp that I've added from the programmer, the full 4" exhaust, boost controller, modified stock air intake, Transgo Jr. shift kit, etc., I know I'll put down close to 500 rwhp and over 900 rwtq just on level 4. Now if I had the tranny to support it, I could load level 6 which is 350 additional hp. This truck hauls ass to say the least. Not only that, it will pull anything I'd ever need to pull. I purchased my truck merely to pull my car, but one thing lead to another.

As far as brady346's comment, I've never had a single problem with my truck. I've had it for a year and 5 months, with 14k miles on it. The only thing I've had to take it in for is the intermediate steering shaft replacement, which has been a common problem on several trucks and SUVs for quite some time, and leaky passenger battery.

My truck rides like stock if not better with my 4" lift. I've installed Bilstein shocks to go with it, which improved the ride of the truck. Its all about how you do it and spending the extra dough to do it right.

Not sure what you mean about the extreme tire size limitations as I'm running 35s with no problem. My tuner will correct all the way up to a 44.5" tall tire.

My exhaust note is like no other. Doesn't sound like a Dodge, Doesn't sound like a Ford. It has a unique sound. If I had one word to describe it, I would say jet. Its aggressive at WOT and mellow at part throttle. I love the sound of my exhaust. I personally don't like the sound of Dodge's, way too loud and undefined. The Fords sound good, but too poppy when you remove the cat. I know this because I've done them on Fords.

I may be wrong on the tire size thing, but I sure couldnt fit much tire under my Chevy....stock that is-285's and that beotch was full. I will agree on your viewpoints of the trucks. The Chevy is a refined, comfortable, truck and tame engine that my mom would like to drive while the Dodge is a loud, undefined, workhorse with solid axles that was made to be treated rough but still be as capable of normal use as a pass. sedan. My chevy interior rattled like a sumbitch at 75k miles. Oh, and one last thing...I like the cummins just because it sounds like an elephant orgy at idle and gets ridiculous with added engine load opposed to the dmax whistle that increases exponentially with rpms.

LT1wannabe 05-06-2007 10:50 PM

Here's my $.02 since you asked, in an indirect way. Pound for pound, they're even. If you're a real truck man, go with the Chevy. If you're a man wanting a truck, go with the Tundra. I tool around in my dad's Tundra, and it feels like a huge luxury car with a bed. It just depends on how it feels. Toyota is a foreign company, but gives work to Americans...Texans nonetheless with that truck. On the other hand, Chevy gives work to Canadian workers with their truck, but it's a timeless American symbol. IMO, it comes down to price, mpg in situations it will be used, and the overall feel in situations you think it will be used most.

transam5.7lt1 05-06-2007 11:38 PM

Isn't the new tundra based on a dodge ram pick up platform? It seems like it, and even the displacement of engines offered are similar if not the same to the ones in a dodge ram truck except for a diesel. I might be wrong, but I read in a magazine a review, and it was weird to see the engines offered for the tundra, engines such as a "v6 3.9L" "v8 4.7L" "v8 5.7L"........

2KnbmTA 05-07-2007 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by thunder550
I heard that was because the Tundra wasn't even in the running because it wasn't officially out yet or something. Also heard that MT did a review later of the TOTY and the Tundra and that they rated the Tundra higher. I haven't seen any proof of either statement for myself, just repeating what I heard from someone else.

sorry if this is a repost, i didnt want to read all 5 pages, but i was reading a motortrend at sportsclips the other day where they compared the chevy and the toyota. the toyota had more power, but the braking distance was identical. they gave the win to chevy for best bargain

Dirty 30 05-07-2007 12:36 AM

I mean I realy dont care how fast it is...its a truck

yeah, they're just trucks. :devil: :drive:

mariojmoe 05-07-2007 09:37 AM

Guess i'm an odd-ball I personally HATE the new Chevy trucks. The 06"s 4WD of coarse were pimp as hell but I feel GM did an awful job on the exterior of the update. I think the Tundra looks a shade better but go with your heart bro. I'm going to be looking for a new truck within the next 7 months or so and gm is out for me. Probably a new Hemi 4wd I'm thinking.

TWS 05-07-2007 01:25 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor.

That's all I've got to say. :wink: