How not to park your Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i one time accidently popped my foot off the clutch b/c the bottom of my shoes were wet.... foot slipped off the clutch and car lunged forward... ***** scary when not intended.....
Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Id sue them, if I was his family, there's suppose to be safety measures by law.
Crap happens.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It looked like a V6 too, so it couldn't have been that fast or had a ton of power, then they said there wasnt much space to even get it going that quick. Building looks old too.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Wow......
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

They need to really investigate what exactly happened. If it's suicide that's one hell of a way to go. Don't think it was. Ugly accident.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't pay TOO much attention, but it looks like a new mustang.. even the v6's on those have some power.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Daez
I didn't pay TOO much attention, but it looks like a new mustang.. even the v6's on those have some power.
That little amount of space, you need a monster to break through a wall like that. I think it could be a building error where it didnt hold, it obviously didnt, the car knocked a clean chunk out.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that building is old, not built witht the same safety standards today.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok guys, where did/does it say the car was a manual...? assumptions anyone...

second, a CMU wall is not required (unless dictated by building code(s)) to have rebar for extra reinforcement. CMU is very strong in compression but not in tensile strength. PENGU...you are correct, CONCRETE walls are supposed to have and do have rebar for reinforcement, however this is CMU, such is not the case unless stated with what i wrote above. also, there was no REBAR witin the CMU, otherwise you would see bent bars. safety cables are usually installed on the inclines/decline ramps of a parking garage if it is enclosed like the one in this case and are required by code. we do not know if bump stops are in the garage. only parking structures that are exposed to the elements would require by code to have safety cables and bump stops to prevent a car from going over the edge. then again that might not stop all cars, there are too many factors that even with these safety devices in place, a vehicle could still go over the edge...

third, for none of you being there, how do any of you know they were skid marks and not peel out marks...? skid marks for braking peel marks for acceleration. regardless of what the news says, how accurate are they really. reporters mess up all the time...

fourth, for the guy who replied the 'All American Comment' to SUE. if the building is grandfathered in, and there is no new construction (re-model/tenant improvements are exempt), then there is really no lawsuit to be had. the building being grandfathered in makes it compliant to the codes. New construction would then mean that everything would have to be updated to meet current building/fire/safety codes...

fifth, since CMU is not strong in tensile strength, it would be estimated that even going 20mph or more would easily send the car though the wall (alot of people can reach 20mph in no time in a parking garage). also, since we do not know the layout of the parking garage floor, we cannot say for certain what/where exactly the driver was located in regards to the over all garage...

its a freak accident, and unfortunate that a life was lost, but before shooting off a bunch of BS responses, theories and blame shifting (IMO), everyone should stop for a second, think and educate themselves. the blame falls on no one but the driver at this time, unless police reports and evidence prove otherwise...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

chill man people are just voicing their opinions, your opinion isnt any more correct than theirs
Old 06-13-2007, 01:47 PM

SSwt - It sounds like you're pretty familiar with the building codes in Texas. I'm not as familiar with them as I am the ones in California where I work, but wouldn't any building over 4 stories require reinforcement by todays standards, whether it's CMU or not? Now I get that this is an old garage and isn't required to hold up to todays standards, but I was just curious about your comment itself.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
ok guys, where did/does it say the car was a manual...? assumptions anyone...

second, a CMU wall is not required (unless dictated by building code(s)) to have rebar for extra reinforcement. CMU is very strong in compression but not in tensile strength. PENGU...you are correct, CONCRETE walls are supposed to have and do have rebar for reinforcement, however this is CMU, such is not the case unless stated with what i wrote above. also, there was no REBAR witin the CMU, otherwise you would see bent bars. safety cables are usually installed on the inclines/decline ramps of a parking garage if it is enclosed like the one in this case and are required by code. we do not know if bump stops are in the garage. only parking structures that are exposed to the elements would require by code to have safety cables and bump stops to prevent a car from going over the edge. then again that might not stop all cars, there are too many factors that even with these safety devices in place, a vehicle could still go over the edge...

third, for none of you being there, how do any of you know they were skid marks and not peel out marks...? skid marks for braking peel marks for acceleration. regardless of what the news says, how accurate are they really. reporters mess up all the time...

fourth, for the guy who replied the 'All American Comment' to SUE. if the building is grandfathered in, and there is no new construction (re-model/tenant improvements are exempt), then there is really no lawsuit to be had. the building being grandfathered in makes it compliant to the codes. New construction would then mean that everything would have to be updated to meet current building/fire/safety codes...

fifth, since CMU is not strong in tensile strength, it would be estimated that even going 20mph or more would easily send the car though the wall (alot of people can reach 20mph in no time in a parking garage). also, since we do not know the layout of the parking garage floor, we cannot say for certain what/where exactly the driver was located in regards to the over all garage...

its a freak accident, and unfortunate that a life was lost, but before shooting off a bunch of BS responses, theories and blame shifting (IMO), everyone should stop for a second, think and educate themselves. the blame falls on no one but the driver at this time, unless police reports and evidence prove otherwise...

Are you a defense lawyer. If not you might want to give it a try. That was pretty ******* good.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Launching!

he was probally just parking lot drifting after watching tokyo drift, but wow that sux feel abd for the guys family
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe he wanted to wreck his car & wanted it to look like a clutch accident or hitting the gas instead of the break. But instead of the wall just smashing the car, it busted open
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Tx_WS6
SSwt - It sounds like you're pretty familiar with the building codes in Texas. I'm not as familiar with them as I am the ones in California where I work, but wouldn't any building over 4 stories require reinforcement by todays standards, whether it's CMU or not? Now I get that this is an old garage and isn't required to hold up to todays standards, but I was just curious about your comment itself.
California is located in a different seismic region than TX in the US, therefore building codes and being code compliant are completely different, respectively. Reinforcement of just about every structural component in CA or of the west coast in that matter will usually be designed and built to withstand earthquakes, shear/lateral forces (ground swaying back and forth), from the building envelope to the lay-in ceiling...

Also, the point at which using CMU, reinforcing it, and then filling with concrete to provide a reinforced wall would surpass the dollar amount of simply using either a cast-in-place reinforced concrete wall, and as well as a pre-cast reinforced concrete panel wall construction (more commonly known as tilt-up construction)...

Further, the type of construction used for a specific structure/building still means there are many different methods/ways that such said structure can be desined/built. as long as it passes all codes (state/local) and gets issued permit for construction, up it goes...

Originally Posted by playtoy
Are you a defense lawyer. If not you might want to give it a try. That was pretty ******* good.
No, I'm an Architect...

as for the character who told me to chill, some were stating opinions, others were making assumptions off of no information. in regards to my inital reply, my comments were ment to make people think about all the factors that come into play (as i myself have designed parking garages/structures), hopefully prior to them saying such things as, "I guess he popped the clutch", which is an assumption based comment, and to help answer as to, "Why is there no REBAR?". i simply was trying to inform the masses with even the small amount of knowledge that i have as a result of my profession.