Time to Dismantle TxDOT And Rebuild A More Responsible Community-Friendly Agency

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time to Dismantle TxDOT And Rebuild A More Responsible Community-Friendly Agency

http://pstern.statesmanblogs.com/ent...e-993f00d61d51

I couldn't agree more. To those that live in Pearland or drive through Pearland, notice how the speed limit all along 518 dropped to 45 from 55 mph? In an email, the city engineer told me that was TxDOT's doing. Thanks for slowing us down, TxDOT. That's just one among a myriad of complaints against this idiotic state agency. The speed camera test is just another issue as well.

Everyone should contact their representative and the senators and file a complaint and move to establish a new transportation agency.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

Time to Dismantle TxDOT And Rebuild A More Responsible Community-Friendly Agency
TxDOT Has Outlived Its Usefulness To Most Texans

After attending the May 5th 2007 meeting with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) at the Capitol re: the unacceptable roadwork performed on FM 1826, it became crystal-clear to many of the attendees that we need a new agency that is more in tune with community needs. The unprofessional roadwork performed and the unaccountable nature of those in charge of the transportation agency underlines the current dictatorial now in place --- what used to be a community-friendly agency no longer is one.

TxDOT area representatives Bob Daigh and Don Nyland showed us why TxDOT is incapable of doing the job responsibly that the agency was built and hired to do by the people of this state. Years ago TxDOT performed its community role admirably, but in today’s Texas the agency has become bogged-down in an endless sea of politics and profiteering power-plays that have made it obsolete as the State’s road central road warrior.

There no longer should be any doubt that TxDOT must be dismantled and recreated to be a responsible, apolitical, and community-serving agency.

TxDOT’s top-down management from Perry-appointed head Mike Behrens on down the line appear incapable of working in the best interest of the state and of the communities they are supposed to work for.

At the Capitol meeting apparently Mr. Daigh brought along his "dancing shoes" so that he didn’t have to come up with a real, tangible solution for all the ills created by a TxDOT "reseal" job six months ago on FM 1826. He danced around the issues for the entire meeting, crying poverty. According to him and everyone else at TxDOT, the agency is poor.

And if you believe that, I have some beachfront property in Central Texas for sale and will give you a great deal on it!

The worst part of this tragedy is that TxDOT and its employees are no longer held accountable to the people of Texas. The Attorney General and District Attorneys can’t touch TxDOT. Voters don’t vote for those who manage and operate TxDOT. The governor appoints the agency chief and then it’s a political favoritism that hires throughout the agency. Only Texas lawmakers can stop the beast. It’s time to stop the transportation monster living in our midst and devouring our tax dollars.

Urge legislators to dismantle and rebuild a Texas Department of Transportation that Texans know will work in their interests with more direct accountability to the voters.

Encourage lawmakers to enable 100-percent of the gasoline taxes collected go to building and maintaining Texas roadways, the reason Texans voted for the tax in the first place. Currently TxDOT reportedly receives only 50-percent of those tax dollars, while the rest go to other legislative interests. Let all those tax dollars do what they were supposed to do.

If Texans don’t take their transportation department back, we will pay ENDLESS taxation via local road bonds (more property taxes) and with toll roads (toll taxes) and we will pass along this ongoing irresponsible tax system to our children’s grandchildren.

The first step towards improvement begins with us.

FYI, since that meeting on behalf of 50 members of the Hays County community, I filed a formal written complaint with the Senate Committee on Transportation & Homeland Security against TxDOT, Daigh and Nyland. Recently, a PR message was sent to media from Rep. Patrick Rose's office that he and TxDOT "arrived at an agreement" that would repave FM 1826 with quality hot mix road materials and that the work is scheduled for completion at the end of Summer 2007.

I mention this because Texans need to know that you CAN fight "city hall", in this case, the Texas Department of Transportation and that citizens don't have to accept what the agency dictates. If you disagree with TxDOT, fight it. No one in the state gave our community "an owl's hoot" of a chance in winning this battle, but we persevered and we did win.

The same is true of the toll road crusade. According to a Texas university study, Texas does NOT need toll roads to acquire financing needed to build and maintain our roadways. The toll agenda has been developed and pushed by Gov. Rick "39-percent" Perry, TxDOT, Rep. Mike Krusee and their special interest profiteers. We all must fight this group of brigands so that our children's grandchildren do not have to pay infinite toll taxes that make privateers wealthier and Texas taxpayers poorer.

Last edited by Shackleford; 06-12-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

post up an email address to the legislature so we can all email our complaints~

and how do we file this complaint?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ceissus
post up an email address to the legislature so we can all email our complaints~

and how do we file this complaint?
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

I'll embolden the parts of the article that cover this.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the speed limits went down all around Tomball (a few times) and it was NOT TXDOT, but the city counsel, Most people around here think it was the DOT, id rather the Tomball city counsel go before TxDot lol, by obviously if you dont live in Tomball your priorities may vary
Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never noticed the drop in speed....maybe I just speed any way.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jlrz28
I never noticed the drop in speed....maybe I just speed any way.
Haha. Well, I'd usually go around 5 over, but now that's 15 over! They'll definitely get you for that.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, we have no freedoms or anything, they are taking away all the rights we have by using cameras and **** to control speed, why they worried about imigrants taking jobs, if you got camera's you dont need policemen. I think this is just a way for the government to get more money, its not about safety.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are 100% correct Shackleford! They also did this on hwy35 going towards Alvin! It's bullshit to make more money and they use the deceptive idea that it is safer and we all have a hard time to argue that and really never want to attempt to. I don't buy it I just have to sit by and get caught up in TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Well, we all know what to do now. We control the government, not the other way around. If we don't want speed cameras on our roads, then we don't have to have them. Let's get to work!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

I believe regular mail is somewhat more effective than electronic mail.

Alert the media!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

ohhhh....lord, here we go.

[Start Devil's Advocate Again flame if you want ]

OK....

#1 TxDot doesn't change speed limits to **** people off.

#2 TxDot will "Adjust" the speed limits on roads if they feel through traffic investigations and monitoring that there has been an increase of traffic AND/OR accidents.
Some things that will effect speed limits:
a. An increase of construction traffic due to new neighborhoods being built.
b. An increase of entrances/exits on said road
c. City has installed new traffic signals
d. There are more, just can't name them off the top of my head

TxDot has been known to adjust speed limints on roads with road works to PROTECT the ROAD WORKERS from getting run over by idiots that aren't paying attention in working zones. This is not an isolated case, it just effects MORE people. I live on a road that it goes from 55 to 40 due to construction, but you don't see me whining about it!

Now, life isn't about everybody agreeing with what everybody else is saying and MIGHT have a different opinion (however, what I've said is fact believe it or not), so respond accordinly!

[/Devils Advocate]
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

They adjusted the speed limits because of the concrete dividers they've constructed. Now that the roads are narrower, it's unsafe to go as fast as you used to.

And, I hate the concrete dividers. You can't get into a lot of businesses anymore without making a u-turn (except Strickland Chevrolet...hmmmmm). Also, have you noticed what happens when it rains now? The water used to run off from the crown of the road to the ditch on either side. Now the dividers make the water form 2-3" deep puddles, increasing the chances of hydroplaning.

Nice job, morons.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
They adjusted the speed limits because of the concrete dividers they've constructed. Now that the roads are narrower, it's unsafe to go as fast as you used to.

And, I hate the concrete dividers. You can't get into a lot of businesses anymore without making a u-turn (except Strickland Chevrolet...hmmmmm). Also, have you noticed what happens when it rains now? The water used to run off from the crown of the road to the ditch on either side. Now the dividers make the water form 2-3" deep puddles, increasing the chances of hydroplaning.

Nice job, morons.

-Mike
I also emailed the city about this, and they said it was because a lot of people were getting into accidents. The dividers are nothing more than a pain in the butt. If those geniuses do anything, they should WIDEN 518. Pearland's population is exploding. They're going to have to do it eventually. Idiots.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitz
ohhhh....lord, here we go.

[Start Devil's Advocate Again flame if you want ]

OK....

#1 TxDot doesn't change speed limits to **** people off.

#2 TxDot will "Adjust" the speed limits on roads if they feel through traffic investigations and monitoring that there has been an increase of traffic AND/OR accidents.
Some things that will effect speed limits:
a. An increase of construction traffic due to new neighborhoods being built.
b. An increase of entrances/exits on said road
c. City has installed new traffic signals
d. There are more, just can't name them off the top of my head

TxDot has been known to adjust speed limints on roads with road works to PROTECT the ROAD WORKERS from getting run over by idiots that aren't paying attention in working zones. This is not an isolated case, it just effects MORE people. I live on a road that it goes from 55 to 40 due to construction, but you don't see me whining about it!

Now, life isn't about everybody agreeing with what everybody else is saying and MIGHT have a different opinion (however, what I've said is fact believe it or not), so respond accordinly!

[/Devils Advocate]
I'll send them your resume so you can go work for them LOL! I know they have a reason or an excuse depending on what it is they are trying to accomplish! The cameras are just a money ploy (SP?)! And on the divider in Pearland yeah they were idiots they think the median will stop accidents. Come on BS! I believe it was part of the Pearland Beautification project that I was told about and they are sighting accidents to justify what they did/doing! They are going to start putting sidewalks up and down the roads to let our homeless have a place to travel also they tried to get me to pay for a part (The portion in front of my house.) and it was going to be on my property, but they have an easmentand while I' pay taxes on it I can't build anything on it unless they approve it. It took me a LONG time to finally get around that. A single person shouldn't have to pay for a public sidewalks!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wrote to my rep and the senators
Old 06-12-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Pimp

518 is more retarded then it has ever been in the past due to those dividers.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by _Zac
518 is more retarded then it has ever been in the past due to those dividers.
I think I'm going to send a link to this thread to the city of Pearland.

Seriously, though, I will.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Pimp

Try taking a left into food town heading south on 518.. Unless you are skyjackin that divider's going to pwn your ***..
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I think car-concrete divider accident rate will go up.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shackleford
We control the government, not the other way around.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this.

Quick Reply: Time to Dismantle TxDOT And Rebuild A More Responsible Community-Friendly Agency