Wow, unbelieveable. My truck was "broken into."

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:17 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wow, unbelieveable. My truck was "broken into."

Yesterday evening I parked my truck on the street, then about 9:00 pm I moved it back in the driveway and everything was fine. I had a long day and I was in a bad mood, so my mind was elsewhere.

So I get in my truck to go to work this morning and my in-dash screen caught my eye. It looked like it had a spider web on it. I go to start it and what do I discover, my screen fucked up! I turned the truck back off to power the screen off, and the mother ****** is cracked/spider webbed all over.

I must have forgotten to lock my truck because there are no indications of someone trying to pry open the door, lock, handle, etc. No windows were broken or anything. I don't know if they used they hand/finger/knuckle or some other object, but someone definitely busted my screen. My sunglasses (2 pair) were also missing.

Unbelieveable. I also have a $300+ radar detector, $30 phone charger, $100+ brake controller, and about $3000 worth of audio equipment in the truck, but nothing else was taken or damaged. I just find it so odd that nothing was damaged or stolen except my sunglasses and a broken in-dash DVD player.

I don't care too much about the sunglasses as they're probably $20-$25 each, but my $1000+ screen is fucked up.

What should I do? I'm at work and don't get off till 2:30 pm. Should I call the police when I get home? File a report? Can I request for finger prints and if so, how much money will that cost me?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly id just call your ins. any town with more than 1000 residents, odds are the cops wont investigate. wouldnt hurt to file a report, and do it asap. just dont expect anything else besides a report from the popo. sorry your truck was fucked with
Old 08-11-2007, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

if its a superduty ford look at ur keyhole ibet its puched in mine broke into 5 times stolen once all in 1.5 yrs
Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club NA

Its a Chevy Duramax, the one in my signature.

Would it be too late to do it after I get home from work since it happened over night? So they won't fingerprint for me?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Its a Chevy Duramax, the one in my signature.

Would it be too late to do it after I get home from work since it happened over night? So they won't fingerprint for me?
its the same day so you should be ok. the report is mainly for your ins. company. they MIGHT dust for prints, but i can guarantee they don't have the manpower to do anything but run the prints through the system if anything.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Little bastard *** kids with nothing better to do, if it was a career thief you would be missing more.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 AM

They may fingerprint for you but most likely they wont, i tried it before and most the time they say they cant fingerprint glass or like screen type ****, but if they touched your dash or something that will pickup prints then maybe, but theyll tell you that they cant. If you got insurance, id give them a call.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

They could dust for prints....problem is dusting for prints rarely reveals any prints. Any more involved processes are too expensive for a $1000 dollar damage case. Best bet is insurance.....but with most having a 500 deductible, its up to you.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Launching!

file a report and if you want in that report you can claim that all your cds were stolen also. CDs go under home owners insurance so they have to pay for those too. I think they average it to $10 a cd. So if you say you lost 400 cds thats $4000 in your pocket. Just something to think about. My buddy did it with his truck and they asked him to just write down all the cds that were gone. He took the time to write them down and got a check a week later. Real shady and shitty but the ins. companies screw us so why not do it back.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have been through this a couple of times. most insurances make you file stereo stuff on your home owners.And like many others your deductible will be 3 times more than the stereo is worth.I would call the cops just in case they busted some one up the street that night it may tie together. Other than that you start filing claims on your insurance and it will cost you more that 2 of those screens.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well I'm going to call them (police) as soon as I get home. Why is the report mainly for the insurance company?

ZONES89RS, you're probably right, considering they could of just cut all the wiring or yanked them out and took the 2 amps under the back seat, along with the radar, brake controller, etc.

Why do you guys keep saying to call my insurance? Just curious, I've never had anything like this happen to me before. Its my fault, but still, dumbasses shouldn't be doing stuff like that. One of the reasons why I want an alarm system is so that it arms itself (locking doors as well) if I forget after so many minutes.

Yes, my deductible is $500.

Would it be wise to say other items were stolen and is it doable? The sunglasses maybed added up to $50, other than that, just my head unit was busted.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

My F-250 got broken into in broad daylight on a Sunday at like 4pm at the James Coney Island at 1960 & 45. Stole my alpine in-dash screen, called the police and the cop didnt even bother to get out of his vehicle. I just cut my loses and took the rest of the **** out. Not going to give them **** to steal.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Texass683
file a report and if you want in that report you can claim that all your cds were stolen also. CDs go under home owners insurance so they have to pay for those too. I think they average it to $10 a cd. So if you say you lost 400 cds thats $4000 in your pocket. Just something to think about. My buddy did it with his truck and they asked him to just write down all the cds that were gone. He took the time to write them down and got a check a week later. Real shady and shitty but the ins. companies screw us so why not do it back.
seriously?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texass683
man i dont think i would put this out to the general public. I would hate to sit in jail over a screen in my truck. buy a new one and lock your doors.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

You're better off keeping it honest, no sense in possibly driving up your insurance rate up over a few bucks.

On the fingerprinting, I was told by a police buddie before that the residue left behind can really mess up an interior, so you might want to ask about that before getting it done. They may also tell you that fingerprinting doesn't really do any good in autos since they will get fingerprints from every single person that's ever been in your truck (But if they got in through the driver side and you are the only one that drives it, then they may be able to get something).

I would file the police report just so they have a record of it happening in your area.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm the only one that drives it. My father has driven it on a few occassions. Do you think its worth making a claim for a $1000 head unit having a $500 deductible?

I did just get my windshield broken a couple days ago, I wonder if I can get that fixed on the same claim, along with my front of my hood that got chipped up.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

finger print powder is MMMMMMEEEEEESSSSYYYYY been a cop for 20 years now retired al they will do is take vehicle info and give you a report number for the ins...do report it because the city/county gets manpower increases based on stats if they dont know its happeing they wont add people
Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

yes use the insurance. would you rather pay 1000 or your 500 deductible? and to the people advocating insurance fraud, you're contributing to higher rates for every one. way to "stick it to the man"
Old 08-11-2007, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok, well I'm not planning on scamming my insurance company, but my truck got broken into last night and the day before my hood got chipped up and my windshield was cracked. Would I be able to get my hood, windshield, and radio fixed under one claim?

Also, are they even going to replace my radio since its aftermarket and I didn't put it on the insurance?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

do you think you could have just lost the sunglasses? and the screen got cracked by the heat?

i looked at my ipod the other day and it had a bunch of spider web cracks on it too, im guessing its from the heat