Dealership Scam - Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red face Dealership Scam - Beware!

Hi All:

If you have bought a new car in the last 3 years its likley you got hosed by the dealership one way or another. These are being called "hidden fees" but really boil down to dirty business.

I know folks are always looking for money to throw at thier cars...well heres a good way to get it. I ran across an attorney thats going after these dealerships. My uncle just got paid off $7500 take home from a dealership just paying them off rather than going to court. Im still waiting on my settlement but wanted to spread the word. Like most lawsuits...the lawyer does not get paid until you do. So contact them, sit back and wait for the check. From my understanding its typically an 8-10mo process, not quick money unfortunatley.

Few requirements:
Purchased the car new in the last 3 years
Dealership financed

Go here:
http://www.jeffweinstein.com/
Scroll down, on the right side there will be a tab "Attention New Car Buyers"
Click here, there will be a form that you can fill out to be contacted

NOTE: If you work for the dealership you bought your car from you might have to pass this up, you're essentially sueing the dealership. Or have a backup job
Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

:ugh:
Old 09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

hmmm...
Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

And how does the dealership screw you? I'd love to know.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by K.T.
And how does the dealership screw you? I'd love to know.
I know you sell cars or something and I used to sell cars at Bayway, so we both know if the dealership can take advantage of someone they will.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
I know you sell cars or something and I used to sell cars at Bayway, so we both know if the dealership can take advantage of someone they will.
That's every big business!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

lawsuits....the lottery of the 21st century. if you were dumb enough not to notice anything when signing the papers, then thats your bad.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1996Formula
lawsuits....the lottery of the 21st century. if you were dumb enough not to notice anything when signing the papers, then thats your bad.

No kidding....

Law Suits.... because it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default not so noticeable...

Some are noticeable and some arent. For the average buyer you wouldnt know enough about financing contracts to know the difference. One senario is the bank will give the dealership a kick back for signing up the new car buyer to the higher interest rate, it wouldnt be in plain english for you to point out would it?

Call them up if you doubt. Nobody wants to admit they got screwed...and probably have every new car they bought.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
Some are noticeable and some arent. For the average buyer you wouldnt know enough about financing contracts to know the difference. One senario is the bank will give the dealership a kick back for signing up the new car buyer to the higher interest rate, it wouldnt be in plain english for you to point out would it?

Call them up if you doubt. Nobody wants to admit they got screwed...and probably have every new car they bought.

Good luck!

ya, this is for people with bad credit and lack of a brain....you'll probably find a few on this forum
Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default say again?

Credit makes no difference, dealerships have several ways to stick ya. Trade-ins is another big 'hidden cost' item a dealership will zero in on. Trade-ins are really what they prefer to go after as it brings more money usually.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My instructor used to be service manager at Sand dollar in galveston. He would often threaten to void warranties if they didn't pay for extra add-on things like injector service, oil change, etc.

He also sold a "hyphahootenator" valve, which makes a "hoo" sound every 2 minutes if everything is ok. The valve on this one customer's car was not functioning properly.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DSIM
No kidding....

Law Suits.... because it is ALWAYS someone else's fault.
like the bitch that sued mcdonalds because she set her HOT coffee on the dash and drove off, and it spilled on her, and burned her......

or the bitch that sued starbucks because she bought her 4ish yr old daughter a HOT chocolate and let her drink it in the car seat in the car while driving.

bullshit
Old 09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroked96Bowtie
Credit makes no difference, dealerships have several ways to stick ya. Trade-ins is another big 'hidden cost' item a dealership will zero in on. Trade-ins are really what they prefer to go after as it brings more money usually.

that's why I said lack of brain also.....good job reading
Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What a riot. The car business has changed soo much in the last 5 years mainly due to the internet. The internet can show buyers the MSRP, the cost and you can figure out the profit margin you think is fair. It kills me to hear ******* customers that go into the dealership thinking there is some magical invoice that no one has access to that has a price thousands less than whats on the internet. If that were the case wouldn't someone sue Edmunds or KBB for false information?

Honestly, Its no different than going to walmart, your buying a good and its going to have profit in it since its how they stay in business. The only difference is you can negotiate the price of a car while the 150%-200% markup in Walmart is fixed. Frankly I'm ****** tired of hearing all this BS about car dealerships. Bottom line when you go to a car dealership don't buy until you feel comfortable. There is no one at the dealership holding a gun to your head when your buying your new car. The fact that someone is trying to sue dealerships because they use the word "Best" is hilarious.

Here is the part that gets me.... 9 times out of 10 the best Interest rate is not the best way to buy your new vehicle. Case in point, you can get 0% on most new vehicles which I would say is the best rate but you don't get the 3-5k rebate. No biggie, but I'm sure that sleezy lawyer is going to try and make a buck on "word play".

Lets say the guy at the dealership said that 6% was the best rate when infact it was a better way to buy because it yeilded a lower payment than 0%. So was he wrong? 0% was the best rate but 6% had the lower payment? And the lawyers are trying to cash in on this garbage calling it fraud. Get a ******* life.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
What a riot. The car business has changed soo much in the last 5 years mainly due to the internet. The internet can show buyers the MSRP, the cost and you can figure out the profit margin you think is fair. It kills me to hear ******* customers that go into the dealership thinking there is some magical invoice that no one has access to that has a price thousands less than whats on the internet. If that were the case wouldn't someone sue Edmunds or KBB for false information?

Honestly, Its no different than going to walmart, your buying a good and its going to have profit in it since its how they stay in business. The only difference is you can negotiate the price of a car while the 150%-200% markup in Walmart is fixed. Frankly I'm ****** tired of hearing all this BS about car dealerships. Bottom line when you go to a car dealership don't buy until you feel comfortable. There is no one at the dealership holding a gun to your head when your buying your new car. The fact that someone is trying to sue dealerships because they use the word "Best" is hilarious.

Here is the part that gets me.... 9 times out of 10 the best Interest rate is not the best way to buy your new vehicle. Case in point, you can get 0% on most new vehicles which I would say is the best rate but you don't get the 3-5k rebate. No biggie, but I'm sure that sleezy lawyer is going to try and make a buck on "word play".

Lets say the guy at the dealership said that 6% was the best rate when infact it was a better way to buy because it yeilded a lower payment than 0%. So was he wrong? 0% was the best rate but 6% had the lower payment? And the lawyers are trying to cash in on this garbage calling it fraud. Get a ******* life.
I figured there would be some out there that wouldnt agree with it. There will never be a lack of opinions on the internet...just weeding out the ones that know very little about what thier attempting to address is the challenge. Sorry man you havent convinced me any. One of the other requirements is you must be a Tx resident...guess we just have that much going on in the Tx Forums
Old 09-04-2007, 06:20 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's this idea? DON'T finance at the stealership.

WOW!

Finance with a bank that you know and trust and keep the terms very simple. If you have a trade in car (usually a bad idea, you can usually get more $ selling it yourself), again keep the terms very simple. If the dealership will not agree to a fairly simple contract, WALK OUT.

Bad credit plays a BIG ROLE. People with bad credit have less options, so they might not have a bank lined up to do the loan. They may feel that they have to finance at the dealer because good banks are turning them down. To be a *****, I'd also say that often (but not always) people with bad credit tend not to be the smartest. That's why they have bad credit, duh. So, you've got people with bad credit and are not too bright... that means they finance at the dealer and are not smart enough to catch or avoid some of the tricks. Economic Darwinism.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago I walked in to buy a vehicle. I had financing arranged through my CU, but the deal had to close before EOB that day. The CU's day ended at 3pm and I was headed out of town on Sunday.

I explained the 3pm deadline several times.

After being delayed, put off and basically ignored, we get called into the "finance officer" office and he says, "if we can get you a better rate, would you consider going through us for financing?"

"Sure. But we have about 10 minutes before the 3pm deadline."

5 minutes after 3, he says, "Well we can get close. How's this?"

"No thank you." and we left.

I work with a lady who's husband is the parts manager there. When I asked about this practice she told me that the salesman and finance guy almost got into a fist fight because of this similar practice.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWS
Economic Darwinism.

qft

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Several years ago I walked in to buy a vehicle. I had financing arranged through my CU, but the deal had to close before EOB that day. The CU's day ended at 3pm and I was headed out of town on Sunday.

I explained the 3pm deadline several times.

After being delayed, put off and basically ignored, we get called into the "finance officer" office and he says, "if we can get you a better rate, would you consider going through us for financing?"

"Sure. But we have about 10 minutes before the 3pm deadline."

5 minutes after 3, he says, "Well we can get close. How's this?"

"No thank you." and we left.

I work with a lady who's husband is the parts manager there. When I asked about this practice she told me that the salesman and finance guy almost got into a fist fight because of this similar practice.
forgive my ignorance but whats EOB?