Time to vent. Can somebody tell me why do body shops f***ing lie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time to vent. Can somebody tell me why do body shops f***ing lie?

So I dropped off the SS on the 12th of November for a full repaint, and a few dent pulls and paid over half in cash. He promised to have me out on the 21st. I leave out (drive trucks) for a few weeks,return on the 23rd and my car is no where near ready and not even prepped or painted. So then he tells me he needs a hood b/c the after market one s too far off. I find a hood a day later, drive my co truck to Lufkin (160 miles) pick up a hood bring it the same night so he can hopefully get on it. Well the next few days (until yesterday) my car just sat out without getting touched. We place the stock hood on it and its not really lighning up either. I (not the body man) suggest maybe we replace the right hood hinge, he says it's not that, Well I leave out and pick one up any way return about ab hour later put it on, tried both hoods and what do you know? they both lined up perfectly. I stopped by again this morning and my car is just where we left it yesterday afternoon. Not to mention I have a stock hood I drove my co truck 300 miles out of bounds (w/o them knowing) and my car just sits. Sorry about the rant but does anybody else go through this crap? I'm not getting a cut rate either.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats because they can, they don't have to worry about your buissness because they have a constant flow of insurance money. Most bodyshops nowadays won't even take time out of thier day because there is so much money in insurance claims.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Fiery Features Director

In my past experience with paint shops, that seems to be the norm. In fact, the last time I took my car to be painted, it was stolen by the body shop. They were playing games and I threatened to get the cops involved. It was a huge mess!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds to me like it's time to cut your losses and just pay them what you owe them for what little (if any) they've done, and take it somewhere else.

at the point you're at, i wouldn't trust them to paint my car, they'll probably just **** it up and charge you again for a repaint
Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its not just body shops. Lots of small shops will overcommit and underdeliver. The issue is they never want to turn away business. They know once they have the car the chances of you pulling it are slim. So they do just a little bit to the car, and then they let it sit till all the other stuff in front of you is done. Really inthat case you can either.

1. Go ge the car - But since you've paid them half expectt hey won't give you a refund, or they will give you some stupid number for the labor thus far.

2. wait on the car and be patient.

3. go down there and make such a pain out of yourself that they get the car out of there to be rid of you.

3 will get the car back sooner, but you may loose a lot of quality as a result. So, you may have to make them aware that you will nit-pick it to death if they try to cut corners.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Thanx fella's, and yea J-rod I spent allllll day today down there and watched as he got an insurance paid 08 Altima with a rear bumper repaint in and out, while my car just sat without being touched. I'm due to leave out for work tomorrow but did not tell him this b/c he knows I work for three weeks out at a time. I did let him know I'll be coming by EVERY day to check it out until it's completed and he knows I'm picky. Now let's see what the excuses will be tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

hopefully when he starts the work he doesnt decide to do a half *** job on it now. They might rush it in and out and do a shitty job.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula96
Thats because they can, they don't have to worry about your buissness because they have a constant flow of insurance money. Most bodyshops nowadays won't even take time out of thier day because there is so much money in insurance claims.
Hell yeah. I work at a body shop and thats where all the money comes from. Within the last 2 months, we've had about a good 4-6 cars/trucks out that have hit deer. We actually have 2 at the moment which hit deer and 1 that just left today. They bring in more money unlike the bigger jobs. Smaller/easier ones always bring the most.

Ex: '99 F150 had a blow out and the driver side qt. panel was damaged. We pulled it out, replaced the rear bumper, got another tire/rim. We then painted the driver side of the bed. Took us less then 3 days and we got about $3800 out of it from insurance.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Launching!

^^^Funny sh** gunshot, I just hit a deer in my dd (05 G35) about a month ago. Don't wanna report it because it's only 1300 in damages and i have a 500 deductible. Once the camaro comes out I'll throw the G in.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Damn. I wanted to get a G35 at once, but then again I didn't want that monthley payment. I freakin' hate deer man. Always out in the highway/roads. Almost hit one saturday night in the F350.. I wasn't about to try and avoid it either.. That hoe better be glad it got out of the way lol. I was goin' a good 80mph and I got a full replacement front bumper that's rhino lined. My Dad has split a coupe of them in half before goin' 65 so I'd hate to see what damage I would have done goin' 75+.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Launching!

^ haha ya I wish I was in my semi, or a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford or dodge when I hit that dumb *** deer. I managed to slow it down to about 50 before the initial hit. Funny part was seeing that s.o.b doing a coupla summer saults and spinning off the highway. O well life goes on I guess.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

isnt it like deer hunting season
Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Haha.. I'm not gonna lie, I used to pull over and chase deer on the side of the road in my '90 4Runner when I had it. I used to go out to my Dad's ranch and chase deer and hogs. It was pretty fun. Didn't have a thing to worry about. Had some 33" swampers, 6" susp. lift, lockers front and rear, winch.. Even took it through a tank every once in awhile!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Yep ,I could relieve some stress about now letting off a few rounds on a deer. This one practically walked right in front of me then just stood there Next thing you know booom! and there went my hood and grill, and part of front bumper cover. I'm glad it wasn't in the SS.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

normal business practices
Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
its not just body shops. Lots of small shops will overcommit and underdeliver. The issue is they never want to turn away business. They know once they have the car the chances of you pulling it are slim. So they do just a little bit to the car, and then they let it sit till all the other stuff in front of you is done. Really inthat case you can either.

1. Go ge the car - But since you've paid them half expectt hey won't give you a refund, or they will give you some stupid number for the labor thus far.

2. wait on the car and be patient.

3. go down there and make such a pain out of yourself that they get the car out of there to be rid of you.

3 will get the car back sooner, but you may loose a lot of quality as a result. So, you may have to make them aware that you will nit-pick it to death if they try to cut corners.

That is the absolute correct answer in a nut shell. Sad...but Oh so true
Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

really sucks to hear about the paint. however if you need another bodyshop you should talk with my painter. i dropped my car off on a monday. he had it shot by thursday! if you need to get ahold of him just shoot me a pm and ill get you some info.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Launching!

that sucks, same thing happed to me, was trying to get a 69 eldorado painted and took forever, they didnt even work on the car for atleast 3 weeks, it just sat till we started going over there everyday but we are happy with the results.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Thanx ex-ss-ve, I will definately be snacthing it out tomorrow if it 't no further ahead than it was today or for the last three weeks for that matter. This guy's work is really great but holy crap the wait and bs is sickening. I will post the final results to fella's
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dude it dont matter if you know them either. I dropped off, my front bumper and grill and a few other pieces to get painted at my really good buddies shop. Said it would be 2-3 weeks. I said well thats kool. 3 months later I'm just know getting it. I know its only a few hundred bucks but damn man...
In your case. Call everyday and check up on it and tell them you have a show that its going in and you need it done. They will wont to finish it then.

Quick Reply: Time to vent. Can somebody tell me why do body shops f***ing lie?