Power steering repair/oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering repair/oil leak

Question for you guys, my girlfriends car (2000 V6 Formula auto, with 116K miles) needs some repairs and I'm going to try to do most if not all of the work. Unless someone could recommend a trustworthy shop. She had an estimate from an auto shop and they quoted her $2k (I think they are full of ****)

Here's the list of repairs they said the car needed:
Replace Power Steering Pump
Replace Steering Gear-complete assembly with transfer
of parts includes adjust gear but not check and adjust
toe-in
Replace Front Cover Seal of Front Crankshaft Seal
Replace Oil Pan Gasket

What would be the best way of diagnosing the problem and also the least expensive route to fix these issues? Yes, the car does leak oil and there is a small puddle when the car is parked. The power steering is also noisy as hell.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1k-1.5k is about right for all that
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

I knew they were high, especially since she went there by herself. How hard is it to make these repairs? I haven't worked on a V6, but I have done a lot of repairs on my car.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ESMsilver00SS
Question for you guys, my girlfriends car (2000 V6 Formula auto, with 116K miles) needs some repairs and I'm going to try to do most if not all of the work. Unless someone could recommend a trustworthy shop. She had an estimate from an auto shop and they quoted her $2k (I think they are full of ****)

Here's the list of repairs they said the car needed:
Replace Power Steering Pump
Replace Steering Gear-complete assembly with transfer
of parts includes adjust gear but not check and adjust
toe-in
Replace Front Cover Seal of Front Crankshaft Seal
Replace Oil Pan Gasket

What would be the best way of diagnosing the problem and also the least expensive route to fix these issues? Yes, the car does leak oil and there is a small puddle when the car is parked. The power steering is also noisy as hell.

Thanks in advance!

basically they are nuking the P/S job selling you all the big parts...are they necessary maybe or maybe not.

Those are engine oil leaks...is it leaking both or only P/S?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

you should be able to lossen the oil pan, and apply some permatex to seal it back up. That would be a lot easier than a new seal.

try to find out whats wrong with the PS, maybe its just leaking somewhere and the fluid is way low, and thats making it noisy.

wipe/clean everything and see where exactly its leaking
Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies, It's not leaking power steering fluid, the fluid is full, it's just noisy as hell. Yeah, I doubt that the car needs a new steering gear. I was thinking about flushing the power steering fluid first and see if it's still making noise.

That's a great idea on the oil pan gasket, I was hoping there might be a cheap temporary fix. Can you get Permatex at Autozone?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me, schedule a time to bring it in and have it looked at.

Did they clean the areas where it was found to be leakingso that the leaks are easily observed? If not, they are shooting from the hip.

Call me. We help folks out all the time.... we are much, much more than a Tranny shop.

g
Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Call me, schedule a time to bring it in and have it looked at.

Did they clean the areas where it was found to be leakingso that the leaks are easily observed? If not, they are shooting from the hip.

Call me. We help folks out all the time.... we are much, much more than a Tranny shop.

g
Not sure about cleaning the areas??? I appreciate the help, she actually lives in Austin and we are trying to work out a weekend where she could come to Dallas. I'll give you a call tomorrow, thanks.