Credit Card Fraud

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Credit Card Fraud

Can you ****** believe my mom's credit card # was stolen and used to buy gas, clothes, junk food, prescriptions, and smoke shop items to the tune of over $5,000 in Whittier, CA!!! If I only knew who did this bullshit!! How come these crooks hardly ever get caught? Also, how can someone use a stolen credit card number to buy gas? Isn't the only way to swipe the card at a gas pump? It's not like you can manually enter the # at the pump, right? Even when I use my card at the pump, it asks for my zip code. And how can they purchase drugs at a drug store with a stolen #!?!?!?

She of course disputed the charges and won't be penalized but my mom works in the credit card fraud division - won't say where - and she was victimized herself. She is more careful with her personal information than 99% of people and has NEVER used her card online, ever.

Had to get this out cuz it infuriates me beyond words! I hope this ****** gets caught since there are surveillance cameras at the drug stores and gas stations as well. I can't believe these *******!!!!

If it happened to my mom, it can happen to anyone so please be careful and check your statements often!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's scary, coming from somebody that works in the credit card fraud division it seems like no matter how careful we are, we're still vulnerable. Let us know how things go. We're probably also like to know how they are able to get gas without having the actual card. Card skimmer maybe? I know she feels violated, about the same as having your car stolen or broken into.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Talking .

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
Can you ****** believe my mom's credit card # was stolen and used to buy gas, clothes, junk food, prescriptions, and smoke shop items to the tune of over $5,000 in Whittier, CA!!! If I only knew who did this bullshit!! How come these crooks hardly ever get caught? Also, how can someone use a stolen credit card number to buy gas? Isn't the only way to swipe the card at a gas pump? It's not like you can manually enter the # at the pump, right? Even when I use my card at the pump, it asks for my zip code. And how can they purchase drugs at a drug store with a stolen #!?!?!?

She of course disputed the charges and won't be penalized but my mom works in the credit card fraud division - won't say where - and she was victimized herself. She is more careful with her personal information than 99% of people and has NEVER used her card online, ever.

Had to get this out cuz it infuriates me beyond words! I hope this ****** gets caught since there are surveillance cameras at the drug stores and gas stations as well. I can't believe these *******!!!!

If it happened to my mom, it can happen to anyone so please be careful and check your statements often!
The MF need their heads crushed in a vice SLOWLY ON TV (great show w/ good ratings)
But our justice system is a ball of ****......
Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 AM

that happened to my parents when they went to Cali for vacation some one took his debit card info and **** an bought grocery's and **** at some po-dunk *** store the funny thing is they were 6 hours away from where this **** was bought. They caught it early tho the people only got to spend 400 bucks before we caught it.

Sux about yer mom she should get the charges dropped against her credit
Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

happened to me. Someone went to walgreens and purchased 500 dollars worth of crap.... came back 12 minutes later for another 500..... and then bought a few hundred worth of gift cards.

Likely they create another card with your account info on the swipe, and go to town. They have a card..... just not the one you have in your pocket. If you only knew how easy it is to duplicate your card info onto another piece of plastic.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WizeAss
Likely they create another card with your account info on the swipe, and go to town. They have a card..... just not the one you have in your pocket. If you only knew how easy it is to duplicate your card info onto another piece of plastic.
seriously? it seems damn near impossible for a regular person to duplicate personal info and transfer it onto a magnetic strip..?? but I guess that's the only way they couldve done it. *******
Old 01-26-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
That's scary, coming from somebody that works in the credit card fraud division it seems like no matter how careful we are, we're still vulnerable. Let us know how things go. We're probably also like to know how they are able to get gas without having the actual card. Card skimmer maybe? I know she feels violated, about the same as having your car stolen or broken into.
ill let everyone know the details if and when we find out. she said most all fraud claims are just disputed so the banking institution eats the loss but the crook is hardly ever pursued much less caught and given jail time
Old 01-26-2008, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

We go too easy on theives. Typically sentences (if any) are too light. I absolutely agree that our society should crack down harder on individuals caught stealing. Maybe we should start cutting off hands when convicted like some countries...
Old 01-26-2008, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSCam99
We go too easy on theives. Typically sentences (if any) are too light. I absolutely agree that our society should crack down harder on individuals caught stealing. Maybe we should start cutting off hands when convicted like some countries...
Another vote for Ron Paul...... whooops I said it. Yeah..... stop crowding our prisons fighting this drug war we will never win with pot smokers and coke heads and start filling em full of convicted thieves and murderers.

Personally I would rather see a crackwhore die on the streets in the cold than spend my tax money to feed and shelter her nasty *** in prison. Call me

"No excuse for drug use!" -should be the new slogan..... **** "Say No To Drugs".

Yall do understand the prison system has a budget right? And that when they are over extended that is when convicted sex offenders and the sort get parole after serving 1/2 sentences and ****. Gotta love the USA's flip flop gov!

and just walk it out of jail! Here is some of em actually practicing walking out!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
Old 01-26-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

that sucks man, my card got cancelled a few weeks ago and then some fraud company called me asking if i went to walmart that day (after it was cancelled) and said no. guess someone tried to use my card there (which was cancelled and i had the card on me) no idea how that **** happens
Old 01-26-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

The MAIN way that people get your numbers and info especially on debit cards its a second reader at an ATM. They just put theirs on top of the slot and bam read your card info and they have it. PIN numbers are pretty easy to hack from what Ive read too. Just keep watch on your bank acct and get a watch set up on your credit so that no one can get a card in your name.

WizeAss totally agree with ya!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bballr4567
The MAIN way that people get your numbers and info especially on debit cards its a second reader at an ATM. They just put theirs on top of the slot and bam read your card info and they have it. PIN numbers are pretty easy to hack from what Ive read too. Just keep watch on your bank acct and get a watch set up on your credit so that no one can get a card in your name.

WizeAss totally agree with ya!
in this case, my mom's CREDIT card info was jacked and used in CA.. I would LOVE to know how they obtained her info
Old 01-26-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can actually buy a CC coding machine online. They are pretty cheap for the most part.

Im going to say that your moms CC number was stolen from a DB of her CC company. The amount of cracks and hacks at companies was up something like 440% last year and it will only get worse. Did she every pay bills online or the like?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bballr4567
You can actually buy a CC coding machine online. They are pretty cheap for the most part.

Im going to say that your moms CC number was stolen from a DB of her CC company. The amount of cracks and hacks at companies was up something like 440% last year and it will only get worse. Did she every pay bills online or the like?
nah, read above. she works for a credit card fraud dept.. she NEVER uses her card online and further, she doesn't have ANY of her info online.. I certainly do though against her advice. The thing is, they must have actually created a duplicate card with her info on it cuz they used it inside a drug store and to purchase over $1000 of gas... AND they purchased several hundred dollars on clothes at a ghetto clothing store. AND purchased a couple items at a smoke shop
Old 01-26-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what im saying. Her CC issuing company keeps the CC# on file until the card is cancelled. These databases are being targetted by crooks because its an easy crack for the most of them. Even if she just uses it at the store the card info still goes online because of how 99% of the businesses work these days.

Quick Reply: Credit Card Fraud