Anyone here a salesman for GM/Ford/Dodge

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here a salesman for GM/Ford/Dodge

Looking for a dually for my transportation company. What do the desiel experts say is the best truck for hauling. I love the looks of the F350/450, love the Cummins from dodge, but love the Allison from GM. I feel as though GM offers the best of both worlds when it comes to interior and reliabilty. But I cant get over the looks of the new F350 for some odd reason. The only reason I would consider Dodge is for the motor. But I feel iffy regarding the interior and exterior of the Dodge(well it is dodge). BTW, this is in the Houston area
Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

I say full on Chev...
I was using my neighbors 2500HD to haul my car around the other day..
DAM.. I didnt even know there was a trailer with my car attached to the truck..

That sucker drove totally normal, well it felt like I was just out for a cruise..

IMO
Old 03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Teching In

For some reason i cant stand the looks of the new chevy/gmc's. I liked the olders body styles but definently not the new ones. Me personally if it was looks and interior i would actually get the ford super dutys. Definently not a dodge. Just my opinion. This is coming from a guy that has owned primarily gm products all of his life.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

I dont like the dodges at all..
Too many people have them. Everywhere I look, I see a stupid dodge on 22" rims..
LOL
Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to drive it and keep it out of the shop. Cummins.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
If you want to drive it and keep it out of the shop. Cummins.
Not the new ones with the new emmissions. My buddies dad got one and it has been in several times. If you get a Dodge and plan on using...the stick is the way to go.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4230317.html

compares all three of them. We have an 06 dodge for a tow rig, and I dont personally care for it at all. The back seats are very uncomfortable and cramped (especially for long trips), the ride is terrible even for a large truck, and fuel economy isnt very great either. (I believe like 6 or 7 mpg towing and 10 or so in the city)
Old 03-15-2008, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

For hauling, find a used Dodge. 2004.5 to 2006 with the 5.9L Cummins, 2wd, dually. Mine averaged 19 mpg, and 14 mpg towing. A manual tranny will also get better mpg towing.

The new Fords look good, but absolutely suck for fuel mileage. Check some ford truck sites, you will see endless pissed off buyers complaining about the new Ford. The newer Dodge engine is also on the thirsty side. The only one that seems "okay" is the new GM trucks, but even my 2008 Chevy gets about 2 mpg less than my similarly equipped 2006 Dodge did.

Comfort wise, the GM seats are the best. Engine wise, the Cummins is the best. Tranny wise the Allison. But, you won't need a 6-spd behind a Cummins, they do not rev as high as a Duramax does.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I drive a 2007 Dodge 2500 4wd 6 speed manual 5.9L. Been seeing around 18 mpg stock. Haven't worked it too hard except for a few horse trailer pulls and recently towing my CJ5 on a car hauler. Been impressed with the grunt the truck has....doesn't feel much different in power when pulling/not pulling. I previously owned a 2004 F350 with the 6.0L. Power was extremly impressive just tooling around, but towing something lugged the truck far more than my Dodge. The 6.0L was problematic and, like Tony said, A LOT of die hard Ford fans were complaining about them. I will add that the Ford was an auto....there's a big difference in feel between manual and auto diesels.

Do you plan on modding the truck at all? I've read several 6 speed manual Dodge owners that put tuners on their trucks and have fried the stock clutch...on 100hp settings!!

Lastly, if you want to buy a tow vehicle on a budget go find yourself a clean, well cared for 7.3L Powerstroke. I think that's the best diesel built to this day. You won't be winning any drag races with it, but they are extremely reliable and have plenty of grunt for pulling.

Search this Thread