Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Does anybody have any Pittsburgh tools?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody have any Pittsburgh tools?

I need a good tool set for my pickup and I really don't want to carry around my tool box that I pack for the track because I'd be out atleast $1000 if it disappeared (plus it really doesn't fit in the pick up). I was flipping through Harbor Frieght and I noticed Pittsburgh has a 300 piece set for $170. It comes in a case that would fit perfectly behind my seats and the tools look pretty nice. However, if these tools are complete **** and break when I'm in a bind they are useless to me. Has anybody used them? They have a Lifetime Warranty and the ratchets & sockets look half decent but you never know with some of the no name brands.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few things. It's typically chinese made junk but I haven't had too many issues. Bent a ratcheting wrench one, that's about it.

Dope
Old 01-05-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I own several hand tools made by Pittsburg; these include both hand wrenches and sockets - their ratchets are somewhat primative so I tend to avoid them.

...they are sold by HF and at many auto parts supply stores. Some of the wrenches are highly polished chrome and are far superior to the Craftsmutt tools that I also own. Others that are sold by Pittsburg are not polished but are functional. These have some forging boo boos, ruff edges, scrathes. etc. I beleive these are similar quality to the Craftsmutt stuff.

Anyway, I have never busted a Pittsburg tool. However, they have a limited lifetime warranty and provide excellent value IMO. They are sold for about 1/2 of the prices of tools sold at Sears. I'm almost certain they are made in Tiawan or China.

You might also consider Stanley tools that are sold at Walmart but made in China.

P.S. Most people here on the Board beleive that if you don't own tools that were made in the US you have cheap tools.... If this bothers you, buy the Craftsmutt stuff.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work at harbor freight, They are great if you dont use them. I mean i wouldnt recomend them to a pro. but if you just do your own work at home they are great. I also wouldnt use them for criticle work, like if you are stranded on a trail out wheeling, it would suck to break a tool. Liftetime gaurantee tho, just take it back to the store like craftsman, only Harbor Freight isnt reall particular about the return like sears.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I'm still on the fence about it. I'm keeping an eye on ebay because Craftsman 250+/- piece sets go for about $150 new every now and then. I just need some kind of slick case that will easily fit behind the seats of a regular cab pick up and the Pitsburgh set comes in this flat case with 3 trays (kind of looks like a big tap and die set case).

BTW: I really don't care about brands or looks, it just has to work when I need it too.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Launching!

I know the set you are talking about, I got it for 60$ (benifits of working there.) First off, never pay full price at Harbor freight, always ask for the sale price, they WILL give it to you, just insist on getting it for the sale price, If you are really good just talk to an assistant manger or head cashier, they can hook you up, not very often the manager tho. Hes in it for the money.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Think they do that if I ask over the phone? We don't have any HF stores localy.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Launching!

I would doubt it.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

You can join the HF discount club on their web site - www.harborfreight.com. It is like $10 and they list all the sale stuff. (They give you a secret password to view the sale stuff)

As you know, if you buy tools on the net and live in a differnet state than their warehouse is based, HF will not charge sales tax and they also do not charge for shipping most items.

Therefore, the cheapest way to buy tools from them is over the Internet!!!!!

I have purchased from them over the net at least 2 dozen times with no real issues. One time I bought an air compressor that was crap; I sent it back and they gave me the money back with no questions asked.

Their shipping is actually very fast - under 5 days in most cases.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

sam's club has a 166 piece channellock set for $60 which is pretty damn nice. They also have a 156 piece stanley set for the same price. I've used the channellock set and they work great.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

I looked at my other sets, I also have a stanley that works great, got it at home depot real cheap, on clearance last year ( I worked there too).
Dang I am glad to be done with retail, at least i kept it to good places like tool stores though, no Wally world. Nice to be done and graduated from school-
Old 01-06-2005, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

I noticed in my bosses truck today that he had a new Husky kit in the same kind of flat case (he must have got it for Christmas), the tools looked pretty nice and I've heard some good things about them. I'm going to swing by Home Depot tonight and see if they have something similar but alittle larger.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I buy alot of tools from HF. The pittsburg stuff is usually pretty good. You will notice that it is not cosmeticly perfect like a snap on, mac, etc.

Here is the deal. You are NOT going to break a wrench by using it to turn a nut or bolt. If you loop it over the end of a racthet and put the mojo on it then maybe it will breal oneout of a million tries.

Their hand tools are not going to break. You may bust the gears in a ratchet though.

Buy all the Central Pnuematic air tools you can afford from there. They are great.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Launching!

yea i second that, I used to take car of all the returns, central was all great, the orange chicago drills and stuff where good, not dewalt, but good enough the the non contractor, the blue drill master stuff sucks, i used to throw away carts full that had been returned and exchanged, the compressors are good too, but i wouldnt buy one if there wasnt a store nearby, without a store returns suck, and as a t note, all the preices you find in the catalog aand on the net can be matched at the store.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

I actually have a Central Pnuematic compressor for my nitrous refill station. It's great, I left it out in the weather for 2 weeks and it still worked even after being rained on. Not bad for $89. I also have one of the Chicargo drills, can't say too much about that, works good around the house but it has no torque.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I have some Pittsburg impact sockets and they have done pretty good but I'm only a weekend do-it-your selfer, and not too many weekends at that . I use those in combo with some husky and craftsman stuff and I it was good enough to fix just about every damn area of my z28.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only pittsburgh tool I have is a $9 torque wrench from harbor freight sale and I still have them and use them for changing wheels and bolts that are listed for 10 ft lbs to 150 ft lbs torque spec

My bro has pittsburgh wrenches and I'm not impressed by them, def could tell made in china crap once you see it.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Launching!

dont buy their hammers!!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

I just found a 189 peice craftsman set for $199. It has a flat case with two folding doors so I think I'll order that one. It should fit nice behind the seats and leave plenty of room for a 10lbs bottle.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A good friend and I drop in Harbor Freight occasionally to see what kind of junk we can find and buy for cheap.

Well, there's this old long-haired hippy that works there. I REALLY need to just bring my camera and snap a picture of him. We call him "Jingles". I'm not exaggerating in the least; he wears old cowboy boots, tattoos all up and down his arms, and has this huge leather back support belt with peace signs and all kinds of crap inscribed and written all over it. As a complement to this get-up, he's got three different chains hanging off his belt, one of them is about 2 1/2 feet long with just about every doo-dad, leatherman, fingernail clippers, dikes, box knife, screwdrivers, pliers, you name it, it's hanging off these belts. It's also got a couple Rudolph bells at the ends, so you can hear him all over the store. Of course, there's so much crap hanging off him that his pants require straps, but then the straps are cinched up over his shoulders so much that his pant legs are above his ankles.

Oh yeah, can't forget the pocket protecter with about 25 pencils and pens in it.

I wonder if all this makes him feel cool, or important. Next time I'm just gonna have to bring my camera, you all will get a good laugh out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anybody have any Pittsburgh tools?