Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Having problems with my nat. gas wall heater shutting off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having problems with my nat. gas wall heater shutting off.

I have a 30k btu gas heater mounted on the wall in my garage. Its not the ceramic radiant type. It has the blue flame and a fan that comes on when the unit heats up. Itll run fine all evening working out there if I have the front cover off but when the cover is on itll only run maybe 10 mins before everything shuts off even the pilot. I dont get it. It doesnt seem to be getting overly hot or anything. I took the cover off and cleaned everthing but it still shuts off. Only reason I ask is that Im having a party and there will be a few little kids and I dont feel safe running the heater without the cover on.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a new install, or a new problem on a heater that worked OK before?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it was already installed by the previous owner before I moved in last year. So i dont know if it was always like this previously or not.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Is it new enough to have a sensor that shuts it down when the oxygen in the room starts getting depleted? (Look on the wiring diagram)
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Exclamation

There are a few things you need to check. Is the pilot strong and blue flame? If its yellow the flame is being pulled away from the T/couple or Pilot generator it will cause the unit to shut down.

If the pilot light is strong it could be the T/couple or pilot generator.

It could also be the high limit switch kicking the pilot off but that's usually the case.

I would suggest having a tech look at the problem as I can only guess what the Problem is. There are other reasons that could effect the operation of the heater that could create a safety hazard.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was made in 06. At first I considered the oxygen depletion sensor but wouldnt still shut off with the outer cover off? It will run hours and hours with the cover off. I was looking at the pilot the pilot is always a tall blue flame. I nooticed that with the cover on the flame moves around a lot and often gets pulled away from the thermocouple but with the cover off its steady and doesnt move. It does sound like a thermocouiple problem though because it makes the same click when everything shuts off as it does when i turn the unit off and it cools down after about 10 secs.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Either your pilot is dirty, or for some odd reason there is a negative pressure in your garage, causing the flue to vent too well.
Your description of the pilot flame kind of makes it sound like it is dirty. It should have some fortitude to it, enough that it makes a kind of "f" hissing sound (fffffffffffffff). It should not be tall and almost candle-like. To clean it, you need to disassemble it, blow and brush it out, and make sure the orifice is clear. It's pretty small, a little bigger than a single wire from a wire brush. It does not take much dirt to clog it, or more normally make a pile on top of it to block gas flow.

Quick Reply: Having problems with my nat. gas wall heater shutting off.