Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What do you guys think of this welder?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you guys think of this welder?

http://www.welders-direct.com/mercha..._Code=w1003603

Me and a buddy are planning on building a turbo kit for his 3rd gen to get our feet wet when it comes to fabricating...I suck at it lol. He already knows how to tig and is going to teach me.

We only need it for small stuff like exhaust and maybe build a cage for my car. Would also like to be able to weld aluminum and stainless. Budget is really tight or I would get the economy miller. It would just be really nice to have a tig around to build things we would normally just buy.

Do you think this is a pretty good deal and will do what we need? I was looking at the 95 version, but after researching on here found that 95 amps isn't near enough for a cage.

Thanks
James
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Appears that is a DC only unit.. No welding of alum w/o ac/.
I don't see a mention of hi freq control, either.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Oh ok. well may just save up for the miller. My dad uses a miller mig and it is very nice. Would suck the have a tig and not be able to weld on aluminum.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can find a miller syncrowave 200 for about 1500 used. those things are workhorses

or the thermal arc 185 for about the same price used
Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
you can find a miller syncrowave 200 for about 1500 used. those things are workhorses

or the thermal arc 185 for about the same price used
The miller would be better than the thermal arc I'm guessing? My dad has always thought miller was the best.

Here is a story if you want to read. My dad is a farmer and repairs all his own equipment. He would rather spend all day building a part rather than buy a 50 dollar one. Most all of his welding was done with a 1960-something Lincoln arc welder. Finally he decided to buy a new welder from the local welding/fab shop. He went with the Miller 212 and a week later something in it screwed up and would not work. He took it back only to find they didn't have and more in stock and needed it that day. They decided to give him a 252 and didn't charge him anymore money. He got a welder that is around 2200 bucks from them for the price of the 212 which is around 1500. Just goes to show that small local businesses will help you out in a big way even in this day in age.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

At the local college we have 10 Millers and 10 Lincoln Electrics 110v welders that was purchased 4 years ago. All of the Lincoln Electric has broken down but the Millers are still kicking, Also if you know any one with a Miller 350p, beg them to jump on it. That thing is an amazing welder. But for $4700 msrp is way too much unless that is your main tool. Also don't forget to play with the pulse feature.

Correction. They are not Millers... It's actually Hobart a sister company.

Last edited by Mr.Nguyen; 12-01-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Teching In

I bought the new Miller Diversion 180 TIG machine a few months ago, and love it. Affordable, portable and versatile. For a hobbiest, it's everything I need in a TIG.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this welder?