Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Question about "Tim" style valve spring compressor tool

Old 11-22-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about "Tim" style valve spring compressor tool

I built my own valve spring compressor tool, similar to the "Tims" style tool, except that I put a bend in mine to help distribute the force all around the retainer. Here's a picture of mine without the stud & nut installed:

My question is this: Does the Tim's style tool compress the spring straight down, or does it deflect it? The reason that I ask is that when I start to compress the spring with my tool, I wind up with it not being centered around the valve stem, which makes it difficult for me to get the locks out, and even more difficult for me to re-install the locks.

If the flat style tool does this also, how do you guys compensate for it? It seems like I have to be very particular with how I position the tool after I apply a slight amount of force to it, but it takes me a bunch of tries to get it right every time.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Just by the nature of the tool, the compression is not strait and you'll always be fighting the keepers. The bend you put in yours helps but its still not perfect. To get a true straight compression youd need a stand matching the valve angle, but thats a bit beyond the scope of what can be built using a vice and drill press

I remember having to swap the base stud every 4-6 springs because it kept bending. Keepers never were much trouble. Bring the cyl to TDC, compress until the keepers come free. I was able to muscle the new springs into being centered around the valve stem for reassembly
Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

What I do is I start to compress it and before it gets too tight, give the spring a slight push to whatever direction i need to center it before finishing the compress. The Tims tends to draw the springs towards the tool stud so when you make your push, compensate for that, then when you finish compressing the spring, it will be perfectly centered around the valve
Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I guess it'll just take a little more practice. I'm sure that by the time I do the last one I'll be good at it. :-D

Pocket, I love the graphics!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
What I do is I start to compress it and before it gets too tight, give the spring a slight push to whatever direction i need to center it before finishing the compress. The Tims tends to draw the springs towards the tool stud so when you make your push, compensate for that, then when you finish compressing the spring, it will be perfectly centered around the valve
This was my exact experience. But, it worked.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Once you have done it a few times and know what you are looking at, you can do it like tying your shoe.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Pocket, I love the graphics!
Me too, I can read something all day but a picture sends the message home

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about "Tim" style valve spring compressor tool