Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

ISO Jack and Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ISO Jack and Jack Stands

I need to get a real jack and some jack stands. Neither of which I have ever bought before.

Suggestions?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craftsman
Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Wow - thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to mention this is for my 1997 v6 firebird.

I see several variations on the Craftsman jack. Should I worry about whether or not it's low profile? Should I worry about tonnage - I believe my car is short of 2 tons?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:18 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harbor Freight. All of the affordable jacks (like under $200) are Chinese, non-serviceable jacks. Might as well get the cheapest available unless you're looking to get a truly professional jack.

I say this as someone who had (and still has as backup) Craftsman jack/jack stands but have since been fine with the cheap Harbor Freight stuff.

I'd also suggest going with a 3 ton so you can use it for truck/suv -- and you'll know it's not struggling with the lighter loads like your Firebird. As for low profile... my car is lowered an inch (SLP springs) and I have no problem fitting a regular jack under the car.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

I got my 3 ton jack stands on sale from Advance for cheaper then the 2 ton ones something like 25 bucks, they hold my car just fine, see no point in paying more.

if your looking for a "pro" level jack then get a low profile, if your talking just a standard "short arm" jack then get a normal height one.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advice.

Man, I can't find decent Craftsman reviews! Everywhere I look, someone says they're getting their stuff from China! Now I don't know where to get a Torque Wrench from!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

3 ton aluminum jack from Harbor Freight is what I have and I've never had a single problem with it. I also have a 2 ton aluminum from Harbor Freight and it's been great also but it's the speed lift so anything more than your average car and it gets pretty tough to pull down. The 3 ton lifts fast and then once it gets a load on it pumps slower to make lifting heavy vehicles easier.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I bought a craftsman 4 ton low profile jack and only ever used it on pretty light cars. It lasted for about 10-15 uses before it started pissing oil on the floor, and as stated, they don't service them or sell parts for them.

Then I bought the 1.5 ton low profile aluminum harbor freight jack and that lasted about the same before leaking oil as well.

Now I have a more expensive "big red" jack that's been working great.

Quick Reply: ISO Jack and Jack Stands