Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Sunex Tools - Snap-on quality, 1/4 the price

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:29 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs up Sunex Tools - Snap-on quality, 1/4 the price

Just thought I'd take a sec to share. About a year ago a mechanic buddy of mine turned me on to Sunex. I'd known of them because they've been around a while, but never paid much attention since they don't have a tool truck running in my area.

Over the past year I've been picking up some Sunex products here and there, and I'm pleased to say that some of their stuff is better than my snap on/matco/mac stuff. Their 3/8 and 1/2 swivel sockets are outstanding, and just as strong as the much more expensive competitors. They're so good in fact, that I have sold all my Snap-On impact stuff and made a nice profit even after purchasing the Sunex stuff.

Here's an example. Sunex 3/8 Impact deep well swivel sockets: $91 + shipping
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-67...onal-3660.aspx
I paid $350 from Snap on for the same set

Sunex Impact Wobble extensions (worth their weight in gold): $22+shipping
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-94...onal-3504.aspx
$120 from Snap on or Matco

And the list goes on. I've taken a year to put them to the test, and actually TRY to break a socket. So far my attempts have came up short to make a Sunex product fail. So from now on, I'll be ordering from them instead of paying for overpriced Snap-On/Matco products.

Here's their website if you want to search their inventory.
http://www.sunextools.com/

However I order stuff from www.thetoolwarehouse.net because they have great customer service, fast shipping, and cheap price.

Enjoy.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks ! Those tools look good and that wobble extension set is priced only a little more than Harbor Freight . The toolwarehouse looks great as well .
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is their stuff made?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on Sunex. I'll keep a eye out.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:48 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by Geoff
Where is their stuff made?
Geoff I'm not sure. I wasn't too concerned w/ it after abusing them for a year and trying to break something but couldn't.

My partner has been turning wrenches for 30yrs, and has probably spent 200-300K w/ Snap on but he also swears by Sunex stuff. I love my wobble deep well sockets. They're every bit as flexible as my old Snap on set, and I've tried to break them. They won't break.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

most of it is made in taiwan..some of it is pretty good stuff however. those impact wobble extensions are the same ones as in the freight you can catch them there for cheaper. I have them 3/8 and 1/2. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are better than snapon/mac/matco but it is a lot of tool for the money.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by squints88
most of it is made in taiwan..some of it is pretty good stuff however. those impact wobble extensions are the same ones as in the freight you can catch them there for cheaper. I have them 3/8 and 1/2. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are better than snapon/mac/matco but it is a lot of tool for the money.
Mainly what I mean by "better" is a much better value. These swivel sockets are just as flexible and just as strong as my Snap on sockets were, for about 30% of the price. That's definitely a better value if you ask me.

And don't kid yourself. Every body is going oversea's nowadays. I know my tool truck guys pretty well and have some pretty good inside info on what tool companies are doing to save money these days.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have sunex mini rachet and bit set, very nice to get into small retarded areas, I work on school buses which have a million screws in panels and the body. But I wont sell my $$$ snapon mac or matco stuff to buy this, Maybe for my box at home. But hell the money is already spent on the good stuff and was a boatload of money. I do buy a bunch of cornwell tools and seems to be a decent price compared to snapon. But I feel anybodys pain who spends the money on a quility tool, But Hell you can buy a 25+ year mechanic tool box full that wants to get out of the game for a pretty damn fair price, Fair for you not the mechanic lucky if he gets 30cents on the dollar, 30+k in box and tools sells for $4500
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmmmmmm, i may have to try their impact socket sets...
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the reason most of us mechanics use snap-on is due to the fact that say for instance I break a tool right in the middle of a job. well if I had sunex I would have to buy a new set. However with snap-on I pick up the phone call my dealer and he rplaces it at no charge to me.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sunnex will warranty individual tools/sockets in a set. They are a lifetime warranty tool also. Just with sunnex you have to mail it in, where as snap on will drive over and drop it off.

I use a lot of craftsman because I have a store nearby and they are very easy to warranty. Not the best made tools, especially after 1994, but they are pretty inexpensive with easy warranty access.

I have recently started to buy Allen tools. Most of their tools are made in the USA and they have a lifetime warranty, with cheaper than craftsman prices. Not sure how easy they warranty if you do break them.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

I have a few of their socket sets. After the new year I'm going to grab a set of swivel sockets.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Damian
Mainly what I mean by "better" is a much better value. These swivel sockets are just as flexible and just as strong as my Snap on sockets were, for about 30% of the price. That's definitely a better value if you ask me.

And don't kid yourself. Every body is going oversea's nowadays. I know my tool truck guys pretty well and have some pretty good inside info on what tool companies are doing to save money these days.
I was answering the question as to where the tools are made..not kidding myself lol trust me. I've got plenty of both in my box however mainly what I use constantly is snap on.

Sunex is definately great value wise I would agree. If you look around harbor freight you will see a few of the same products that sunex sells which you can get cheaper(especially with those 20% coups). I believe the sockets and stuff packaged as "earthquake" at harbor freight are the same as sunex. Don't quote me on that I might be wrong though. Bottom line the stuff holds up great for the price
Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the update I have been wanting to buy tools now I am and thanks for the link to www.thetoolwarehouse.net . I'm a member and got a list that i'm gonna order just got a 500 dollar limit and don't know which way to go......
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club

i have some sunex tool here too. i have their air ratchet and has held up better than any other ones i have had so far. think was 75-90 bucks for it new. have been using it daily for last 3 years and will prob buy another one when this one wears out.l
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well spent about 600 bucks I was gonna buy a hood but I really need some tools for my shop that I'm gonna build in the spring .
Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 AM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by squints88
Sunex is definately great value wise I would agree. If you look around harbor freight you will see a few of the same products that sunex sells which you can get cheaper(especially with those 20% coups). I believe the sockets and stuff packaged as "earthquake" at harbor freight are the same as sunex. Don't quote me on that I might be wrong though. Bottom line the stuff holds up great for the price
I talked to a Sunex rep yesterday and he said absolutely none of their tools are the same as what's sold @ Harbor freight.

I'm enjoying my wobble sockets, and the $200 cash I put back in my pocket after buying them and selling my Snap ons.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found out about sunnex about 5 years ago and since ive only used sunnex. I agree, great price, great tool.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I have sunex mini rachet and bit set, very nice to get into small retarded areas, I work on school buses which have a million screws in panels and the body. But I wont sell my $$$ snapon mac or matco stuff to buy this, Maybe for my box at home. But hell the money is already spent on the good stuff and was a boatload of money. I do buy a bunch of cornwell tools and seems to be a decent price compared to snapon. But I feel anybodys pain who spends the money on a quility tool, But Hell you can buy a 25+ year mechanic tool box full that wants to get out of the game for a pretty damn fair price, Fair for you not the mechanic lucky if he gets 30cents on the dollar, 30+k in box and tools sells for $4500
Your math was way off... That is all.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Nguyen
Your math was way off... That is all.
Some get lucky some, most dont Hope you got lucky

Quick Reply: Sunex Tools - Snap-on quality, 1/4 the price