Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

snap on cordless impact long term review

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default snap on cordless impact long term review

I bought both the 1/2 and 3/8 inch cordless impacts a year ago. So far im happy with the performance but the quality sucks and there warranty sucks! I spent almost a 1k for the pair. 3/8 caught on fire after 2weeks, 1/2 just died after 2 months of very little use. It was under warranty but it takes 1month for repairs(warranty is only a year). I have multiple Ingersoll rand cordless tools that ive owned and abused for 6 plus years and they still work the same as day one other then the batteries finally died(not one single warranty repair). When I say abused i use them on a daily basis. Im very unhappy with quality and service from snap on. By the way 3/8 impact is broke again. Im ordering new Ingersoll rand batterys and selling my snap on junk. Thanks for reading im just venting.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 1/2" snap on gun, about 2 months after I bought it, I was taking off a wheel I heard a snap and it was engulfed in flames. No joke!

After they replaced it I haven't had a problem. Going on 3 years now
Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am now on my 3rd 3/8 Snapon impact. 1st one went a year. Only problem was the light went out. Sold that one to get a green one. Green one worked fine for 2 years with no problems. Now I am on to the newest edition with the Lithium battery. I don't use it every day like my last 2 but so far it is going strong! The quality seems a lot better then the last 2. Everyone here at the shop seems to have the older version and most have been rebuilt at least once. I wouldn't recommend it but the new one I will. Some people also have the Craftsman and the motor seems to go out quite often.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Watch out in the cold with the lithium Ion batteries, I was changing out some wheels in 30 degree weather and it would stop after one wheel. I ended up having to keep one battery in the truck and swapping them out each wheel. When they crapped out I switched over to the NickleMetal.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Ive been using my snap on 14.4 3/8 impact professionally for 6 years , every day.

Have yet to have an issue other than 1 battery has died on me of the two that came with it .

I love this gun , best $440 ive spent the past 6 years lol
Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Their new 14.4v 3/8 impact which is about the same size as their nut driver is freakin' awesome.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

I've been really happy with my Dewalt impacts. I've had several other brands and they have nothing on the Dewalts. Granted this is in a body shop environment so alot of lighter duty use but my 3/8 impact will remove lug nuts without blinking.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Teching In

The new fuel milwaukee has the same power as the IR. The tool has a 5 year warranty and the battery has a 3 year. The real upset with IR, some of the batteries don't work with the other IR tools in the same line up.

Take a look at this review.....

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 2763 - VS - Ingersoll Rand W7150

Old 03-26-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Their new 14.4v 3/8 impact which is about the same size as their nut driver is freakin' awesome.
Yep, it's small and so powerful. I love it.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

The only electric tool I ought off a truck was the Snap-on green driver. Life saver. But for the bigger stuff I only buy Dewalt or IR. Thr trucks are a ripoff and they ar eonly rebranded Dewalt or IR Snap-on is Dewalt and Mac is IR. And twice the price.

It's nice to make payments to a truck but if you use a credit card specific for tools, then you can make payments to that too. Plus you can buy online and save a lot of money.

Toolnation, Home depot online, etc have much better prices. I even have a Craftsman 3/8 iimpact driver with the NiCad and it's been flawless for 2 years now and I hammer on it everyday. My 1/2" is the new Dewalt. 6 months so far and no problems yet.

Last edited by SAPPER; 03-27-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

The new Milwaukee Fuel 12V and 18V line-ups are very nice.

Snap-On is overpriced. Most of their stuff is just rebranded with a premium price. Williams makes their sockets. CDI makes their torque wrenches. Dewalt makes their cordless stuff.

For cordless, Makita has been getting my money. I might be switching to Milwaukee after seeing their Fuel tools.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SAPPER
The only electric tool I ought off a truck was the Snap-on green driver. Life saver. But for the bigger stuff I only buy Dewalt or IR. Thr trucks are a ripoff and they ar eonly rebranded Dewalt or IR Snap-on is Dewalt and Mac is IR. And twice the price.

It's nice to make payments to a truck but if you use a credit card specific for tools, then you can make payments to that too. Plus you can buy online and save a lot of money.

Toolnation, Home depot online, etc have much better prices. I even have a Craftsman 3/8 iimpact driver with the NiCad and it's been flawless for 2 years now and I hammer on it everyday. My 1/2" is the new Dewalt. 6 months so far and no problems yet.
Originally Posted by MuhThugga
The new Milwaukee Fuel 12V and 18V line-ups are very nice.

Snap-On is overpriced. Most of their stuff is just rebranded with a premium price. Williams makes their sockets. CDI makes their torque wrenches. Dewalt makes their cordless stuff.

For cordless, Makita has been getting my money. I might be switching to Milwaukee after seeing their Fuel tools.

Both of you guys are way off here. Snap-on impacts are not made by dewalt or anyone else. Dewalt and Mac tools are owned by Stanley tools. Its easy to do a little research and find things out like snap-on has been making hand tools alot longer than they have owned Williams tools. They sell Williams tools as an industrial line. They bought CDI years ago which is a torque wrench company and also bought Souix power tools. Snapon is a hand tool company that has done a good job of buying up sucessful (american) companies (keeping them in the usa by the way) and using them to expand and make there lines of tools better.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SAPPER

I would love to see proof of that.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Both of you guys are way off here. Snap-on impacts are not made by dewalt or anyone else. Dewalt and Mac tools are owned by Stanley tools. Its easy to do a little research and find things out like snap-on has been making hand tools alot longer than they have owned Williams tools. They sell Williams tools as an industrial line. They bought CDI years ago which is a torque wrench company and also bought Souix power tools. Snapon is a hand tool company that has done a good job of buying up sucessful (american) companies (keeping them in the usa by the way) and using them to expand and make there lines of tools better.
This is 100% correct.

Williams does have an offshore lineup as well, They make a lot of stuff for blue point.

Also, stanley has been doing some great things as of late. I bought the Proto 1/2 and it's a beast at 1260ft/lbs torque.

The mac and proto are the same. The dewalt is steel and only 650ft/lbs

Old 03-28-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sillysspeed
Good post silly.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Guys at our shop here have all had the older versions rebuilt at various times. The new lithium versions seem to be holding up better. I use a Makita 1/2 LXT at home and couldn't be happier with it
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

I have a nearly 10 year old Snap-On 1/2 inch cordless impact, works fine, batteries have become an issue lately. I don't use it often anymore(still prefer my pneumatic IR), but it still works fine even though it's ancient.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well to add to my last review, I have some bad news. I got the most recent model of the Snap on 3/8 Lithium battery impact about 4-5 months ago. After some light use here and there (maybe 3 batteries worth), the gun took a dump. Luckily there is a warranty but I am sure its going to take a month to get fixed. Not good Snap on!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyFbomb
The new fuel milwaukee has the same power as the IR. The tool has a 5 year warranty and the battery has a 3 year. The real upset with IR, some of the batteries don't work with the other IR tools in the same line up.

Take a look at this review.....

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 2763 - VS - Ingersoll Rand W7150

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 2763 - VS - Ingersoll Rand W7150 - YouTube
I have the IR, and absolutely no complaints. Battery charges very fast. So far I've used it for suspension, brake and lugnuts, but I haven't been able to try it out yet on something heavy duty like the 24mm balancer bolt. I bought it before the Milwaukee tool was available, but if I had to choose today, I would still get the IR.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Back from the dead I know.

I have a Snap-on 1/2in impact from 2007 that hasn't given up on me yet, 2 original batteries also still hold a charge. Has about 5 years of shop use and rest for home use here and there, mostly lug nuts and long winded bolts or where ever I can fit it.

Quick Reply: snap on cordless impact long term review