Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Reinstalling motor for the 1st time, Which way would be easiest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reinstalling motor for the 1st time, Which way would be easiest?

Hey guys, with the help of many friends on the forum I am finally just about ready to put a motor back in my car. I just reinstalled the rear main seal and mounted the bell housing up to the block to ensure correct oil pan alignment.

I have an engine leveler, in addition to engine plate was planning on using the leveler. I'm installing from the passenger side on the top. My question is should I install the motor with the bellhousing attached to it and attach to the torque tube? Or should I install motor to bellhousing? Any tips on how to get everything aligned? Thanks for the help again guys.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an update to this thread. I ended up installing the motor with the bell housing attached to the block. A key to getting the motor to seat was disconnecting the master cylinder to slave cylinder line, without doing this there was hydraulic pressure working against me from seating the motor against the torque tube. I did not use an engine leveler.

Knock on wood, I have put 1050miles on my motor since the rebuild. I have hit the dyno twice and put down 730whp/601wtq. Have had no oil consumption, nothing on my drain plug magnet during my numerous oil changes and nothing concerning in the oil filter upon cutting it open and inspecting. Switching back to joe gibbs ls30 oil today now that I've crossed a 1000 miles.

Thanks so much to this forum for helping answer all of my first time motor build questions, could not have been successful getting it running without you.

Quick Reply: Reinstalling motor for the 1st time, Which way would be easiest?