Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Mig or tig

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mig or tig

I'm adding costs of parts to attempt a turbo project, and was wondering if it's better to tig or mig the exhaust tubing. I only have experience in stick welding so both will be new to me
Old 05-19-2017, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For stainless I found it easier and faster with a MIG. I used 309 wire and a helium tri-mix gas

The thin stainless is difficult for me to TIG, some people do it quite well but I got tired of trying.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

MIG is definitely more practical to have around the workshop.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

If you already know how to Oxy acetylene gas weld, TIG is a good option,, otherwise MIG is highly useful for many things and with the right gas and wire does about 90% of what TIG does.. I find AL welding with MIG is ugly for the setup..

FWIW you can buy MIG/TIG welders that can do both with a swap of the stingers..
Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can definitely be MIG welded but I like the precision and control of the TIG. Although mig will be faster
Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
If you already know how to Oxy acetylene gas weld, TIG is a good option,, otherwise MIG is highly useful for many things and with the right gas and wire does about 90% of what TIG does.. I find AL welding with MIG is ugly for the setup..

FWIW you can buy MIG/TIG welders that can do both with a swap of the stingers..
Yes, but almost none are AC machines that allow TIG for Aluminium.

And for a lot of stuff...especially stainless unless you're going to backpurge with the TIG, the inside of the pipe can end up like ****. That just doesnt happen as bad with MIG.

And if youre making exhaust parts etc...lets see anyone tack parts together with one had using a TIG ! MIG wins that by a mile.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

And if youre making exhaust parts etc...lets see anyone tack parts together with one had using a TIG ! MIG wins that by a mile.[/QUOTE]

I fuse stainless all the time one hand
Just quick jab of the pedal and bridge the gap
Not trying to attack or brag or anything
Just sayin
Beaudacious
Old 05-22-2017, 04:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by orange88ls1s-dime
And if youre making exhaust parts etc...lets see anyone tack parts together with one had using a TIG ! MIG wins that by a mile.
I fuse stainless all the time one hand
Just quick jab of the pedal and bridge the gap
Not trying to attack or brag or anything
Just sayin
Beaudacious[/QUOTE]

If you can do that lying upside down under a car....well done. I sure as hell can't lol I can barely get two parts to do an initial fuse sitting on a bench with a TIG, and that's using both hands to hold the work/weld
Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can do that lying upside down under a car....well done. I sure as hell can't lol I can barely get two parts to do an initial fuse sitting on a bench with a TIG, and that's using both hands to hold the work/weld[/QUOTE]

Can be done with constant current but found it way easier to bridge with pulse set to about 300 pulses per minute
Old 05-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

MIG will be faster, easier to use, and better for general-purpose welding.
Trying to weld metal that isn't brand new with a TIG can be very very annoying.
For example, the V-band flanges that come with Chinese turbos have some really odd plating on them, I assume to keep them from rusting. Everytime I try to weld one with a TIG, it turns purple, pops, and then I have to take the tungsten out of the torch to sharpen it again. With a MIG? No issues.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
MIG will be faster, easier to use, and better for general-purpose welding.
Trying to weld metal that isn't brand new with a TIG can be very very annoying.
For example, the V-band flanges that come with Chinese turbos have some really odd plating on them, I assume to keep them from rusting. Everytime I try to weld one with a TIG, it turns purple, pops, and then I have to take the tungsten out of the torch to sharpen it again. With a MIG? No issues.
A MIG is far less sensitive than a TIG. And if your exhaust parts are really dirty and/or contaminated nothing beats a good MIG loaded with fluxcore to get work done.

The back-purging TIG welding craze is an internet driven fad - it is nice to have but not needed to create functioning parts that will last. Welding low-grade stainless pipe with solid-core wire and "auto-weld" gas has served me very well over the years. I am going to get a TIG when I have time to make stuff pretty and functional; not just pretty functional.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I only recently repurchased a mig, as tig is just very slow when you wanna zap out some motor mounts or a brace or something.

but I do a lot of aluminum, so a tig is a must-have. i can tig just about anything with the right filler rod. it's more of a sit down and take your time to prep everything kinda process.

horses for courses
Old 05-28-2017, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Motorhead back purging stainless isn't a internet fad. Fact is that when you don't purge stainless and it "sugars" ob the back side you have created a brittle weld and ruined the stainless properties of the stainless steel. That is a fact. Now in practical terms is it going to be detrimental to the life of the average auto exhaust, likely not. I have a strong background in ASME code x-ray welding and I'm not spouting off at the mouth. I have both mig and tig welding machines at home and I can use both to there capabilities and imo for the average guy without a welding background a decent mig will be far more useful to you and you'll not give up because it's overly complicated. Some people can pick up tig welding fairly well but most can't and it's all about hood time and experience.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you can use some solar flux if you dont want to set up a backpurge.

i still use the flux on tricky merges and stuff. but really a bottle tee and two regulators is the way to go. the tee was $10 on ebay and the regulator was $25 at a yard sale.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Just don't buy some cheap *** mig, and expect good results. I have seen cheap TIG's work decent vs cheap migs. A friend has the Eastwwod TIG, while it's no Lincoln, it works fairly well. I have another friend who has a cheap *** mig, not going to name the brand. I wouldn't weld a exhaust for a lawn mower with it, not with Co2, not with flux. Its just garbage. Buy a good named used mig if you can't swing a new one. JMHO

Quick Reply: Mig or tig