Good budget tig welder - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Good budget tig welder

Old 04-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
your miller pedal works on your AHP? Which year machine do you have? I was looking at the SSP pedal for my AHP.

I'm a welder/fabricator by trade, and i really like my AHP except for the pedal, but there are options out there. I actually like it better than the synchrowave 200 I've been using at work lately. I really need to poach the extra Synchrowave 350 that's been collecting dust, lol. Rather than buy the special gas lens kit, i preferred to buy a Profax -9FV torch body and swap it onto my lead and use standard -9/-20 gas lenses and parts. One of these days I'll get around to building a homemade cooler and using one of the -20 leads i have laying around.
Huh, I've been seriously considering selling my Synchrowave 180 and replacing it with a AHP or Everlast TIG.

I look at all the noobs picking up one of those machines and laying down nicer beads on their first try than I was able to after weeks of practicing with the Synchrowave (and having a pretty good concept of MIG and gas welding), all the different settings, some ambiguity WRT to techneque (do you do selection like an inverter or an old tranformer machine? Can you just pick something like lantanated and use it for everything like a newer inverter?), and it's plain size (it takes up the same floor space as a refrigerator, more than half the height and 400#), and I'm wondering if I'm fighting a battle I don't need to fight and am wondering if I'd be much happier with one of the cheap inverters.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

^ It's funny you say that. I use a square wave Lincoln at work and other than the nicer pedal my Eastwood shoves it under the table. I can manually pulse a lot easier with the Lincoln pedal rather than the stupid toe pedal Eastwood provides.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

I am a hobbyist welding and fabricator like most of you here. For years I have used my trusty Millermatic 250 mig and took anything that I wanted to tig to work and used their Synchrowave. I decided that I wanted my own and purchased the AHP....It's the newest version, and quite frankly it welds just as good at the Miller at work. Pedal is stiff, but I have grown accustomed to it and for the money it can't be beat. I bought it through Amazon from AHP themselves and saved like 80 bucks. It wasn't Prime, but I had no hurry.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

I've been researching the cheap tigs for the last month, has any one tried the new Vucan 200 from Harbor Freight? the reviews so far are good, the and one guy had a good point. being the cheapies are either from China or like the AHP have a horrible customer service reputation, the Vulan's can just be returned to the store. i'm really leaning towards it.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

ive had an ahp since 2014. never dealt with their customer service coz nothing broke. it's my only
tig now. probably a couple thousand hours on it.

and heads up, it's all from china. red box and blue box stuff are just assembled here (or italy) with chinese components.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had my alpha for a couple years now and use it daily for work on aluminum and it hasn't let me down yet. I think it's a great machine for a great price, I recommend it to anyone wanting to get a quality welder.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Launching!

I see Jegs is selling them now, $300. It has good reviews. I'll prob give it a shot as I need something for small jobs and something that is very portable. I got a lincoln pro and it's a hassle to move it.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
I see Jegs is selling them now, $300. It has good reviews. I'll prob give it a shot as I need something for small jobs and something that is very portable. I got a lincoln pro and it's a hassle to move it.
I have the 200x so I have no idea how the $299 model compares, it's a totally different machine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good budget tig welder

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: