Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Dream mechanic glove recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dream mechanic glove recommendations

If the sky was the limit, budget-wise, what mechanic gloves would you choose for yourself?

I am trying to buy some gloves for my muscle-car-building-enthusiast guy for Christmas. I know he at one time drooled over some canadian-made awesome gloves with a pun-like name but I can't seem to find the company.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I've been a mechanic by trade for 20 years and there really isn't "a glove". I have 3 different styles for different things.

Generally the mechanix brand gloves will be easiest to search for/buy. I would get him a pair of the impact style, and also a thinner style. My current favorite i'm using is a pair of gloves from home depot that are 2 for $12 called firm grip. They are a cloth type material with a rubberish texture on the bottom and rubberish material over the knuckles, but not padded and thick. Also NOT the super thick rubber bottom style for sealing out liquids. Those feel cheesy but have their uses but mechanics don't use them much, they are good for gripping oil filters though

Also a box of mechanics latex gloves would be good to add, they are great for working with fluids.

I would get one of each type for him to cover all bases, especially since budget isn't the issue.

impact style/padded
Amazon Amazon

standard (less bulk and restrictive)
Amazon Amazon

nitrile (similar to latex) style. Mechanics use nitrile
Amazon Amazon

The THICK rubber coated ones I mentioned that we rarely use but do have uses
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-28-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

These are the ones I currently have that I really like and are 2 for $12. They are cheaper and last just as long as the more expensive mechanix brand. Home depot has a good selection of gloves by the way.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Gri...5203/206170456
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

X2 on the latex gloves
I use them for everything
tig welding
fiberglass and carbon fiber work
outdoor winter mechanical work ( they act like a set suit, by building a layer of sweat and surprisingly they keep your hands warm ) I've even used them in -15 weather , you can still feel bolts to turn them
and best of all they are 7 cents a piece
Beaudacious
Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by orange88ls1s-dime
X2 on the latex gloves
I use them for everything
tig welding
fiberglass and carbon fiber work
outdoor winter mechanical work ( they act like a set suit, by building a layer of sweat and surprisingly they keep your hands warm ) I've even used them in -15 weather , you can still feel bolts to turn them
and best of all they are 7 cents a piece
Beaudacious
Odd how that works but I've also noticed my hands stay warm in the winter with the latex gloves. I'll even wear them under cloth gloves sometimes so I have warmth and protection from banging my hand on something, it hurts a lot worse in freezing temps.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Odd how that works but I've also noticed my hands stay warm in the winter with the latex gloves. I'll even wear them under cloth gloves sometimes so I have warmth and protection from banging my hand on something, it hurts a lot worse in freezing temps.
x's 3 on the rubber gloves under a "mechanics" type cloth glove in the winter. I use the diamond grip brand gloves every day all day (mechanic by trade for the past 15 years.) Probably a little more on the pricey side, but they are thick enough to not get cut on everything but thin enough to not feel like you're wearing your mom's yellow dish washing gloves from back in the day and have great dexterity.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...xoCDR8QAvD_BwE

I get em by the case for work on amazon.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Thanks so much guys! I really really appreciate it~ Buying one of each type and a box of the nitrile gloves. He will be set
Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Finally spotted the dream glove. Picked up some red wing work boots a couple of days ago and saw these.

Stop at your local red wing store and grab some of these.

http://bq.sg/2017/11/12/leeden-class...o-fit-the-job/
Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Could they have fit "Red Wing" on there any more? Are the grips little Red Wing logos?

Without trying to look like an 80s punk badass, I prefer fingerless gloves. Something that protects the hand/knuckle, but doesn't inhibit much needed finger dexterity and feel when in tight spaces.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Could they have fit "Red Wing" on there any more? Are the grips little Red Wing logos?

Without trying to look like an 80s punk badass, I prefer fingerless gloves. Something that protects the hand/knuckle, but doesn't inhibit much needed finger dexterity and feel when in tight spaces.
LOL they are flashy but so are all the gloves in this "impact mechanics" style glove. I posted these up because it's a bad *** glove in its segment. I have 3 styles of gloves for different things. When I need to feel I only wear my nitrile gloves, when I need protection I wear thick gloves. I personally don't need to feel and protect at the same time. I'm either doing light work with small bolts or big sledgehammer style work where I need protection.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

The main reason I posted them though is the lady asked for a recommendation for a "money not an object" glove and red wing is top of the line, not likely to find anything higher quality than a red wing product.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

The main reason I posted them though is the lady asked for a recommendation for a "money not an object" glove and red wing is top of the line, not likely to find anything higher quality than a red wing product.
The truest truth!!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally spotted the dream glove. Picked up some red wing work boots a couple of days ago and saw these.

Stop at your local red wing store and grab some of these.

http://bq.sg/2017/11/12/leeden-class...o-fit-the-job/
X2 on the Red Wing gloves. I'm an electrician that has used their boots for over 20 years. Decided to try them out during my last boot purchase and have been using them since. Pretty durable but with comfort as well. For home and auto, a box of harbor freight latex gloves usually fits the bill.

Quick Reply: Dream mechanic glove recommendations