LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Tools & Fabrication (https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication-11/)
-   -   Will 3 gallon air compress operate a rolox wheel? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/1908141-will-3-gallon-air-compress-operate-rolox-wheel.html)

badmfkr 10-07-2018 10:29 AM

Will 3 gallon air compress operate a rolox wheel?

Will 3 gallon air compress operate a rolox wheel?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-3-Gallon-Air-Compressor/168857942?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13 =930&adid=22222222227144650476&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl 3=253416957776&wl4=pla-418656236577&wl5=9012826&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=168857942&wl13=930&veh= sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ebdBRC1ARIsAD8U0V4q70vsQlSBnpJv kxWySPSKHQJ3BJy_QY5BrSQt1laUxG7hg0YnrjoaAm7dEALw_w cB

I recently used a rolox wheel (at a friends shop don't want stripe there want to stripe at my backyard) so I need a compresser

to clean cylinder heads & block.

I’m wanting to stripe old enamel acrylic paint off my aluminum boat w/ the white wheel.

There is a old cracked glue inbetween panels see image.

Thanks

G Atsma 10-07-2018 10:31 AM

I think the word you want is STRIP, not STRIPE. I thought you were painting when I started reading the post.

AnotherWs6 10-07-2018 11:14 AM

It will for about a few seconds. That compressor is way t0o small. For anything that requires constant air you need something with some balls. I had a 12 gallon oil-less compressor and it couldn't handle things like that for more than 30-45 seconds before it the tools slowed down to the point of uselessness.

8.Lug 10-07-2018 04:48 PM

Compressors are not rated in gallons, they’re rated in CFM. Gallon is just the size of the tank. With that knowledge, you shouldn’t have any problem figuring this out.

jlcustomz 10-07-2018 06:25 PM

You can find larger paint stripping wheels for electric sander/ buffer (low speed) or grinders (high speed) in a 4 1/2 , 6 , 7 or 8" size. I think Makita still has a decent sander/ stripper somewhere around the 80 dollar price range that's made for such a job. Get a decent tool for the job.

That little compressor you're looking at would be ok for a brad nail gun or something extremely tiny. Filled up to capacity, it would have to kick on again just to air up an empty football.:rotflmao: Also , you'd have to change your user name if you got caught using this compressor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-P...B01G/202830907
Here is a lower quality homestore example.

G Atsma 10-07-2018 06:47 PM

That compressor would wheeze at blowing 3 balloons up in succession... lol

badmfkr 10-07-2018 09:17 PM

please recommend a decent compressor for rolox wheel.

I have the strip wheel however it wont fit into seam.

also don't want to remove any aluminum just old paint

maybe this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Briggs-St...16&athena=true

pdxmotorhead 10-07-2018 11:13 PM

The usual way to do that job is aircraft paint stripper (Gel)
Mechanical stripping on thin Aluminum is the path to warps and heat cracks..

Good luck

8.Lug 10-08-2018 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by badmfkr (Post 19981725)
please recommend a decent compressor for rolox wheel.

Dude. See what the CFM requirement is for the tool you’re using, then find a compressor that has at least that rating. This isn’t rocket science.

badmfkr 10-08-2018 06:06 AM

want to borrow a Small air cutoff wheel/die grinder, not sure about it's CFM requirements.

heres the strpper
some not so smart people have used aircraft remover inside a un vented garage never to be heard of again.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...5a1b2f68df.jpg

thanks for advice

G Atsma 10-08-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by badmfkr (Post 19981806)
Some not so smart people have used aircraft remover inside an unvented garage never to be heard of again.
thanks for advice

Which is why some smarter people do it in a well-ventilated area. Since you are aware of the hazard, it's not really an issue, right?

Puck 10-08-2018 11:05 AM

Very simple - just match the tool requirements to the compressor requirements. Gallons are not very important, it is the CFM @ required pressure.

Without even looking at specs, I can tell you that a tiny 3gal won't be enough. Most tiny compressors like that are 1/4 to 1/3hp and can barely squeeze out .5-.6 CFM @ 90psi and most air tools will require around 3-3.5CFM for continuous use...six times more air flow. I have actually had the cheap ~$120 Harbor freight horizontal 2HP/8gal oil fed one for like 10 years and the thing is still kicking. I bought it expecting to just use it once for a framing project expecting it to break and it has outlasted my expectations by many times and pushes 4.5CFM @ 90psi...enough for most air tools you'd need in a non-commercial environment.

Its not a "good" compressor by any stretch, but for the price and how tough it is it's hard to complain. For most part time hobbyists it is more than enough, just keep an eye on the oil level if you use it a lot.

pdxmotorhead 10-08-2018 11:46 AM

In the pic up above,, Thats a Harbor Freight one.. FWIW..

badmfkr 10-09-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by G Atsma (Post 19981928)
Which is why some smarter people do it in a well-ventilated area. Since you are aware of the hazard, it's not really an issue, right?

mixing nasty smelly chemicals well it's a nasty smelly job. the rolox wheel is quick and a tad cleaner.

did some sanding on the old lacquer paint hoping to just scuff then seal the panels w/ bead of glue prior to clean w/ acetone then primer.
also sanded scuffed some bare aluminum panels w/ 320 sandpaper was able to get like a crosshatch X, will this X help the primer stick?

Originally Posted by Puck (Post 19981941)
Very simple - just match the tool requirements to the compressor requirements. Gallons are not very important, it is the CFM @ required pressure.

Without even looking at specs, I can tell you that a tiny 3gal won't be enough. Most tiny compressors like that are 1/4 to 1/3hp and can barely squeeze out .5-.6 CFM @ 90psi and most air tools will require around 3-3.5CFM for continuous use...six times more air flow. I have actually had the cheap ~$120 Harbor freight horizontal 2HP/8gal oil fed one for like 10 years and the thing is still kicking. I bought it expecting to just use it once for a framing project expecting it to break and it has outlasted my expectations by many times and pushes 4.5CFM @ 90psi...enough for most air tools you'd need in a non-commercial environment.

Its not a "good" compressor by any stretch, but for the price and how tough it is it's hard to complain. For most part time hobbyists it is more than enough, just keep an eye on the oil level if you use it a lot.

sounds like you got lucky w/ the harbor frieght you are correct Average air consumption4 CFM for this type gun.

the reality is I don't have a place to storage a large compresser maybe a smaller compresser.

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 19981973)
In the pic up above,, Thats a Harbor Freight one.. FWIW..

I used the image as an example but yes it is the HF https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qu...der-52848.html

my friend has the snapon type, main thing about the rolox wheel is it's extreme RPM like over 20K curious about the previsaly mentioned alternative to sanding scuffing paint, maybe all I need is a scotbrite pad and cleaner pior to seal/primer?
Thanks Guys for advice

jlcustomz 10-11-2018 01:39 AM

Just mentioning it again, A paint removal disc, as I put a link to an example in post 5, will do what you need with an electric tool. No compressor needed. This is what these things are made for.

badmfkr 11-03-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jlcustomz (Post 19983623)
Just mentioning it again, A paint removal disc, as I put a link to an example in post 5, will do what you need with an electric tool. No compressor needed. This is what these things are made for.

I just the el cameno that is awesome

Update used a abrasive wheel to remove old paint, used utility knife to cut and scrape out old glue out of seams.

do they make a tiny version for dremal tool?

I was planning to do another lite scrub of bare aluminum w/ scotbrite green pad prior to finale clean w/ acetone then prime.

Not sure how to duplicate the maybe tracing paper? I know a Guy that can duplicate sticker on vinyle but he needs the orginale. I will trace theen cutout w/ exacto knife for stencil.

can I scuff the orginal unpainted aluminum w/ green scotbrite pad? the wheel was to abrasive.
edit" the primer I have has a 5 hour pot life and aluminum must be covered w/in 30 minutes of finale scuff/clean a so I need to have alot of aluminum prepared ahead of time.
Thanks for any tips

orange88ls1s-dime 11-03-2018 03:10 PM

Is the primer you are using epoxy based or polyester?
normally primer surfaces require 80 grit for mechanical adhesion
I would use a dual action on the metal so you don't have grinder barks in surface
it will still work but I'm just trying to save you some time

badmfkr 11-08-2018 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by orange88ls1s-dime (Post 19996393)
Is the primer you are using epoxy based or polyester?
normally primer surfaces require 80 grit for mechanical adhesion
I would use a dual action on the metal so you don't have grinder barks in surface
it will still work but I'm just trying to save you some time

yes the primer I'm using is epoxy based
I assume the aluminum panels aren't ready for primer yet?

will the 80 grit smooth out the grinder swirls?

what is a dual action?

this my first attempt of painting big aluminum panels so this advice is much appreciated.

orange88ls1s-dime 11-08-2018 05:33 PM

Dual action sander or orbital
lots of places sell them
I like Chicago pneumatic for air tools or matco

badmfkr 11-09-2018 04:53 AM

I assume the aluminum panels aren't ready for primer yet? and if I primer now the grinders swirl marks will show though primer and paint?
Thanks