Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

TB bolt broken off - what tool to get it out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB bolt broken off - what tool to get it out?

I was tighening down my Throttle body bolts when the bottom right one snapped off inside the housing to the intake manifold

My question is what tool can I use to get it out? Its in there pretty tight. NEEED SOME HELP ON THIS ONE FELLAS, Thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Those are pretty low-grade bolts (and small at that) if I remember correctly. How tight did you have it? How far down is the part of the bolt -- did you lose the head, part of the bolt, anything sticking out?

Sticking out: Vise grips
In shallow: craftsman boltout or easyout drill things -- they will grip it and pull it out
In deep: progressively drill bigger holes in the center, then pick out the shavings ...
Other: Run without it.
But, wait for everyone else's advice too.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to pull out the insert in the manifold. It has a hex backing plate on it, but I have never tried to take one out.

Worst case, you drill through it, wreck the threads and just put a long bolt with a nut on the back.

Nothing to worry about
Old 08-22-2005, 04:44 AM
Launching!

You can try a reverse cut drill bite. Something around 1/8" should work. If the bolt doesn't back out while drilling into it then you'll need to drill the bolt out completely then retap/clean the treads when you get close to them. I would not suggest using one of those bolt extractor deals on something that small. If it breaks you can't drill it out and you're total screwed then.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

If you know someone with the tools, or have a little bit of money to spend, go to Sears and ask for a Screw extractor kit. It comes with several sized reverse drill bits and several sizes of screw extractors. You dril into teh broken screw/bolt, and then insert teh appropriately sized extractor and turn it ou. Then there's no damaged threads when your done and you can thread a new bolt right back in.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Your lucky. One guy here broke off a head bolt in the block and is now looking at a used shortblock....