Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

WARNING: Sears floor jacks blow

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WARNING: Sears floor jacks blow

I bought one of the aluminum types for about $200 in Dec. 2004. Made in China, great. It came low on jack oil and I had to buy some to get it to work. Dec. 2005 it quits. Sears only warrantys it 90 days. Sears won't service floor jacks even though all their floor jack advertisements say "We service what we sell." you can go online and check. Sears currently doesn't offer repair parts for it and advise not to wait for them. So in other words you got a nice piece of scrap aluminum there buddy. Cost of ownership = $16.66 a month and major fustraition.

So I said "screw it". I needed another jack that day so this time I bought the Sears $70 SUV steel jack since I knew I couldn't get it repaired or buy parts and it was Sunday and NAPA was closed. Napa's jacks cost $250 or so. This was Dec. 3rd. Made in China, great. It came low on jack oil and I used some more from the bottle I bought last year to get it to work. Today, about the third or forth time I've tried to "home use" it the damn thing won't lift to the top. It's rated for 21" and gets 14". I can't put my car on stands. Guess what, it's 9 days out of warranty. Cost of ownership = $23.00 a month and fustration to the point of going out and paying what ever it costs to get a real jack that never came from a Chinese steel ship.

Sears has lost a customer, until they rectify this situation. I'm taking both of them back, IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING thank you very much, and demanding satisfaction. Something tells me I'll be waisting my time.

Vernon
Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one that gave out on me after couple years. I have the suv one you speak of now. Unfortuantely more and more things are made in china. My new Motorola cell phone is from there! Companies have to make sure that quality control is there - as time progresses more stuff from china will be better. But I do feel your pain.

If you make a really big stink, ask for the manager, then threaten to talk to the regional manager about it, you may get a replacement for free.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

I had one of the $200 pieces of crap also. I took it back and ended up with the AC hydraulics DK 20. http://www.asedeals.com/hydraulicjacks2.html
Old 03-13-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Advance Auto $60 3 1/2 ton floor jack. I've had it for 3 yrs + and its still works good as new and I use it a lot. It doesn't fit under the brush guard on my Camaro but you can slide it in from in front of the front tires and it'll fit perfect.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like you should've bought your floor jack from Costco. Lifetime warranty.

It is a low profile jack and should fit under your car no problem.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

I had the aluminum one from sears too, it quit working after a few uses. It had a 1 year warranty on it, so I got a new one... that one did the same thing. It wasn't low on fluid either, they are extremely light.. they just aren't dependable lol. Nothing is more frustrating than needing to work on your car and your jack won't work.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been rocking this for about a year

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4172
Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

I have had 3 sears jacks that have failed

each after 8 months of useand that was only on the

weekends! I will never buy a craftsman labled jack again

I bought one from harbor freight paid 99.99 bough the larger

one and i have been happy for 3 years now.

I bought one last xmas from pep boys

it had really cool lookin red anodized frame to it

came with 2 jack stands and its a total piece too

it looks cool though

BUY A LINCOLN JACK! i used one of those for 10 years when

i was a tech in the dealer and so did everyone else in the shop

and we beat the hell out of it!

Last edited by 98Ztwentyeight; 03-13-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a Craftsman jack that I've had since December and I have no complaints... It's gotten more than it's fair share of use so far too. I think after all the work I've done with it I've gotten my use out of it already.

also the aluminum ones have a history of not lasting long
Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i have one of the aluminum ones that my wife bought me for christmas, used it 3 times and it now does not work. real pos if you ask me, the 3 ton steel floor jack from northern tool is still kickin after 3 years.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I have two of the 2.5ton 40 dollar craftsman floor jacks which is all I need to put my Z06 up on jackstands. Suprisingly, these really cheap jacks have lasted about two years so far. I do remember when you could count on floor jacks to last a lifetime however....
Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

exactly why i only buy craftsman hand tools.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well ****, I thought I was going to post something unique My aluminum Craftsman jack puked its guys after about 1 year of use. I have a 7 yr old NAPA 3 ton floor jack that is still going strong...and I leave that thing outside all year long. But I kept my nice lil aluminum jack in the garage and it pissed out all its fluid while jacking up the car today Glad I saw that sears won't warranty them in this post
Old 03-18-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I bought one of the aluminum types for about $200 in Dec. 2004. Made in China, great. It came low on jack oil and I had to buy some to get it to work. Dec. 2005 it quits. Sears only warrantys it 90 days. Sears won't service floor jacks even though all their floor jack advertisements say "We service what we sell." you can go online and check. Sears currently doesn't offer repair parts for it and advise not to wait for them. So in other words you got a nice piece of scrap aluminum there buddy. Cost of ownership = $16.66 a month and major fustraition.

So I said "screw it". I needed another jack that day so this time I bought the Sears $70 SUV steel jack since I knew I couldn't get it repaired or buy parts and it was Sunday and NAPA was closed. Napa's jacks cost $250 or so. This was Dec. 3rd. Made in China, great. It came low on jack oil and I used some more from the bottle I bought last year to get it to work. Today, about the third or forth time I've tried to "home use" it the damn thing won't lift to the top. It's rated for 21" and gets 14". I can't put my car on stands. Guess what, it's 9 days out of warranty. Cost of ownership = $23.00 a month and fustration to the point of going out and paying what ever it costs to get a real jack that never came from a Chinese steel ship.

Sears has lost a customer, until they rectify this situation. I'm taking both of them back, IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING thank you very much, and demanding satisfaction. Something tells me I'll be waisting my time.

Vernon
Thats why I buy the cheap *** 17$ autozone jack, lol. I buy it and it usually lasts over a year.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought one earlier this year and it went out after about 5 uses. It would pump up one big time and then stop raising. I took it back outside of the 90 day warranty and complained enough. I told them I am not buying another $166 peice of crap, just give me another one so I don't make a scene. It worked, but I think this second one is going to quite on my also.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to work for sears. those aluminum jacks are pieces of ****. get one of the bigger iron ones. yeah, they are a **** load heavier but they do no break....ever.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

i have a craftsman jack for 3 years no problems, it's not the aluminum though hehe
Old 03-19-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i got the aluminum Craftsman jack too... its given me some trouble here and there and i've only had it 6months. Some days it decides it doesnt want to work, other days.. works fine..

One thing i have found is that it works better if some pressure is kept in it and some weight on it when not in use. I usually dont have a problem then.

I wish i woulda known the crappy nature of this jack prior to my purchase... oh well
Old 03-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
i used to work for sears. those aluminum jacks are pieces of ****. get one of the bigger iron ones. yeah, they are a **** load heavier but they do no break....ever.
my heavy duty metal ones are 25+ years old and work fine
Old 03-19-2006, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

I have the heavy duty steel one, and not one squeek out of it yet. I have used it ALOT in the last year. 1 Trans swap, 2 clutches, engine rebuild, oil pan and rear main seal....... damn I use it alot

Quick Reply: WARNING: Sears floor jacks blow