Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

New jack, Anything I can do to make it last? (also any tips on fixing my old jack?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New jack, Anything I can do to make it last? (also any tips on fixing my old jack?)

So my craftsman jack, took a dump. Was in a bind fixing my bros truck so he could make it home. so I went out and bought a harbour freight aluminum one(its nice btw, lighter then the craftsman.)

Either way any tips on prolonging the life of this jack? I have heard its good to put some weight on it when not in use?

Aso my old one... it still works only on the very last ittle bit of jacking the handle and won't work with large amounts of weight on it. anything I can do or try before I scrap this thing?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the same thing happen to 2 craftsman jacks.. i would like to know if there is anything that can be done also
Old 04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

you might be able to rebuild the hyd. ram, im not sure though. on tip would be not to over tighten the bleeder.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by distinctdev
i have had the same thing happen to 2 craftsman jacks.. i would like to know if there is anything that can be done also
My craftsman shot craps also.... in less than a year and a half. It's nice because it's part aluminum, low, and quick lift.... but it bleeds down like no other.

I am just going to buy a new one and return this one in that package. It's out of "warranty" but a jack should last longer than that.....
Old 04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've rebuilt a couple of the steel craftsman jacks, that I took from work. Just need to drain the hydraulic oil, unscrew the top, replace all of the O-rings, and reassemble. A word of caution, Do Not adjust any of the screws, the ones I received from work, someone messed with them, and now they act funny.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

i bought a harbor fright jack.... is it the blue one?? myne was like 80 bucks i bought it cuz i needed it that day ....its been treating me pretty good so far
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
I've rebuilt a couple of the steel craftsman jacks, that I took from work. Just need to drain the hydraulic oil, unscrew the top, replace all of the O-rings, and reassemble. A word of caution, Do Not adjust any of the screws, the ones I received from work, someone messed with them, and now they act funny.
Where did you get rebuild kits?

Last edited by SScam68; 04-05-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

There is no rebuild kit available, I matched up the o-rings at work. If you have any hydraulic shops by you, or any place that fixs farm equipment, might be able to help you.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever

I was actually thinking of trying this... just seeing if someone had more experience with it.

Quick Reply: New jack, Anything I can do to make it last? (also any tips on fixing my old jack?)