User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

New board growing on ya??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New board growing on ya??

its been a little while, what do you guys think now?

im used to it. I'm really starting to like it more that the old board. I have to say that when it 1st went up, i was against it... Now im feeling more at home
Great job tony and PSJ
Old 05-05-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: New board growing on ya??

I'm liking the look of it and the new features. I'm still having problems with it being SLOW. It seems like it may be getting faster, but that may be my wishful thinking.

-Andy
Old 05-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Format is descent. Has a few annoying features. I just don't like ubb as much as some of the others. The performcance is SLOW though as you said. Wish they would diagnose the problem and fix it
Old 05-05-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Too Slow, Click and wait. Seems like the old format was easier to read and browse through. I like the avitar feature, but hate the login that takes you to the index or your home.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change is always stressful. We'll get used to it.

So everyone else is seeing it run really slow?
Old 05-05-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, slow here too. I thought it was the route between me and the server. Guess not. I'm sure they're working on it. The admin's here take great pride in their work and are actually responsive. I can't say the same for other boards - where you complain about features not working correctly and a month later they're still broken.

So far as the layout, I've grown accustomed to it and like it now.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

As always, thanks for the feedback. We DO listen and do things to help the site out. There are going to be some slow periods while I update and configure the site in the next few weeks. We also will have to configure and setup the server to maximize performance in the next week or so. It is still configured for the old software, which is a completely different format.

We are proactive about keeping the site running quickly. If we cannot configure it to run like this software should, we will definitely be open to exploring any possible replacements which will allow our current archives to transfer.

We have no plans on deleting any old tech posts. Thats a BIG no-no for us. Old tech posts are like gold.

Tony
Old 05-06-2003, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

We have no plans on deleting any old tech posts. Thats a BIG no-no for us. Old tech posts are like gold.

Tony
That's cool ... How are they searchable?

For instance, this thread on the old board ...

https://ls1tech.com/ubb/ultimate...c;f=25;t=002358

Doesn't come up in a search here. But I linked to it in another thread on Z28.com ... And when clicked on, the re-route screen comes up.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm really liking the new site, but it is running really really slow sometimes....where I can walk away from the computer and come back and its still not loaded, and I'm on a cable modem...
Old 05-06-2003, 08:38 AM
PR Director

I'm really liking the new site, but it is running really really slow sometimes....where I can walk away from the computer and come back and its still not loaded, and I'm on a cable modem...
Ditto
Old 05-06-2003, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Mitch, the old links will not work. ALL of the posts from our previous site were transferred over to this site. If you are looking for a specific topic, or a post made by a specific member, you will need to re-search it on this site. All the previous links were rewritten to the new format (.threads vs .classic)

Also, be sure to check out the Internal and External Engine Archives, which hold all of last year's posts.

BOS, I think I've mentioned why the site speed is down like 20 times now. Pay attention! :p

Yes, we KNOW the site runs slow sometimes. There are reasons for this. Ask us again in a month if you are still having problems. Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The speed doesn't really bother me.......it allows me a chance to catch my breath!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tony, this was the first thread I've seen about the slowness...well keep up the good work w/the site, I'm sure it will all be back to 100% soon....

And I will still be here posting away...
Old 05-06-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

A little tidbit about the "whos online" feature. Look for Jason's post a few posts down...

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=86752

And mind you, I've been visiting CZ28.com daily for 4 years now, and the only time I can recall that site being down, was maybe a year and a half ago when they attempted to upgrade to a beta version of this software and it brought the server to its knees. Im just saying CZ28 is an awesome example of how to run a site. No hacks, no unncesessary features that do really no good, etc. Their track record speaks for itself. I mean, do you ever really look at the whos online feature? I think sacrificing that resource would be totally worth it to speed the site up a little bit.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mitch, the old links will not work. ALL of the posts from our previous site were transferred over to this site. If you are looking for a specific topic, or a post made by a specific member, you will need to re-search it on this site. All the previous links were rewritten to the new format (.threads vs .classic)

Thanks ...

When I searched earlier, that particular post didn't show up in the search. However, it was just a short while after the upgrade. Maybe all the files had yet to be indexed???

Dunno ...

Bottom line is it's working now. Thanks for good work.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed it up and it's fine. As long as you can get to the information the same way I really don't see any problem
Old 05-06-2003, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I mean, do you ever really look at the whos online feature? I think sacrificing that resource would be totally worth it to speed the site up a little bit.
You answered your own question. Its a rarely used feature, therefore it will not be slowing the site down. Its not like people just log into the site and sit and watch the "Whos online" page all day.

As for the speed of CZ28.com, it was never any faster than our previous software. VBB has its limitations also, and there is truly no "perfect" software solution for every single site out there.

Give it a month please. We WILL do everything possible to get this site tuned for maximum performance. Why start doubting us now?

Tony
Old 05-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Tony. Camaroz28.com is faster than ls1tech has been since ls1tech was new and had very few users. I'm sure you guys will get the perfomance up on this site. Just had to point that out b/c this site was a tad slow before the updates also.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

To answer the questions about our site, right now the site has periods of time when it's really slow. It has had periods when it's faster than any site I have ever been on... We have few people looking into the site speed issue to see if we need to change hardware.

As far as www.camaroz28.com goes, JasonD and ChrisF are class acts and run an excellent site. Their site is frankly a benchmark for site speed and layout. I would say that usually we have been as fast as them and for the last year or so neither site has been faster, I'd maybe say theirs might have been a hair faster as of late but that's just based on me having multiple windows open and watching how long it takes for stuff to pull up.

Anyone who knows us knows that behind the scenes we are going a bit nuts about some of this stuff. We changed over to the the new 'ware so we would not have to change for a long time, like FIVE years. So far Threads has really required a lot of hacks to bring back the look and feel of the old style (Classic)... I am hoping by the end of this week to know what we have to do to make the site faster than it's ever been.

Please send us some of those "positive waves" to quote Donald Sutherland in the movie Kelly's Heroes.

Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not a huge poster, but I do spend significant time reading this board. Unfortunately, I must state that I'd take the old board back in an instant. Being able to search all the forums at once is a huge benefit, but the readability and layout have taken a downward turn. I am now using the "classic" look, but that's really an injustice to the old board. The little extra features are not worth the sacrifice. This board centers around information sharing. Ease of readability matters more than the personlized and custom features ever will.

It's not fair to offer criticism without suggestions. If there is anyway to recreate the old look, I think that was a winner. I'm also glad to hear that there is admiration for the site layout and speed of cz28.com. Imagine the valuable content of ls1tech.com with the look and feel of cz28.com!

Quick Reply: New board growing on ya??