Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

'87 GTA Trans Am - 28k Actual Miles - First $5500

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up '87 GTA Trans Am - 28k Actual Miles - First $5500

Year: 1987
Make: Pontiac
Model: Trans Am
Price: $5500
Mileage: 28000
Private or Dealer Listing: Dealer Listing
Location (State): KY
Color: Red
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
LS Engine?: Car has other engine

Just bought this car a month ago, but I found the car I always wanted and I'm buying it in the morning. So this car needs to go. Doesn't HAVE to go, but needs to. So the price is firm.

Anyway, I'll post up the details and a few pics I took when I bought it. I can take more pics tomorrow (hopefully the snow will be gone) for anyone interested.

It's a Flame Red hardtop GTA Trans Am with red cloth interior, power seats with lumbar supports (seat inflators even work!), overhead console with working map light, PW, PL, PMirrors, tilt, cruise, Stereo w/cassette (it works!) and equalizer, power antenna (motor is bad), rear defrost, analog gauges (all work), etc.. The seats, console, steering wheel, and shifter handle are all in near perfect condition and look as they should for a true 28k mile car.

It has a clear title and hasn't been transferred out of the original owner's name yet. So it's still technically a one-owner car I guess. It has a little over 28k miles and was bought new locally by a well known local GM Engineer. The interior is near perfect with a couple of exceptions. The dashpad is cracked and the top of the rear seats are sun-faded and cracked as well. Everything works on the car except for the automatic hatch pull down. But I did buy a new motor for it, just haven't installed it yet. Also, the H/C slide control on the HVAC will not slide all the way to the cold side. Not sure what's up with that (haven't had time to check it out). A/C is on the car, but dont know if it works due to the H/C slide problem (though I was told it worked when I bought it).

The paint is great in some areas, and faded with clear coat peel in others. But the body is near perfect with only a few very tiny dings in a couple of spots. With a nice re-paint, this car would be amazing for the year (which is why I bought it).

The wheels are virtually MINT, and are the correct 1987 specific wheels. They have no rash, no pits, and are all perfectly straight. There aren't even any wheel weight marks on them. The tires are new, but were put on 10 years ago. So they have some cracking and slight flat-spotting. Nothing that a few good burnouts wouldn't take care of. It also has the correct original spare (aluminum wheel with inflator can) and jack.

The engine bay is super clean and the engine runs PERFECT. Fires right up and idles smooth. Never smokes, and you can see through the oil fill hole on the valvecover that the engine is clean inside as well. It's all completely 100% stock, except for the K&N air filter I added. It looks as though the catalytic converter was replaced at some point (not too many miles ago), as well as the entire cat-back system. But it's still a stock replacement type exhaust and muffler.

Transmission shifts perfect. Barks the tires on the 1-2 like it should. And it has the Australian 9 bolt rear with the 3.27 gears (I believe it's 3.27 and not 3.23?).

The frame is solid with no rust. As is the entire body, other than the inside bottom edge of the doors, which has the typical minor surface rust.

I replaced the hood shocks, one rear hatch shock, and installed a new AC Delco battery. I also bought new front rotors and ceramic pads but haven't installed them yet. The brakes work fine and have good pad left, but I prefer new and ceramic (to control brake dust).

That's all I can think of. The car can be driven cross country as-is. I've driven it to work every nice day we've had since I bought it. Really hate to sell it, but I can't afford 2 cars right now.

**PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECT IF INTERESTED: RaymerTuned@aol.com - I am located in Louisville, Ky.

Last edited by Rob Raymer 2; 12-21-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Corrected mileage
Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

I've had several emails asking for additional pictures and I replied saying I would post them here. But it snowed again last night, so the only one's I could take were of the interior and engine bay. I'll add more exterior shots as soon as the snow melts.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Rob...can't believe the condition of this car! If I didnt have so many projects to finish up right now, I'd scoop this thing up in a heartbeat!! Its in amazing freakin shape!!! I've had a couple of these in the past and would have given anything for them to be in as good of shape as yours. Good luck with the sale man!!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Absolutely love this car other than 2 things that kill it for me. Color and Color! lol If this car was black/tan I would own it! Seems weird that it has so much wear for having that low of miles...why wouldnt they have stored it indoors if they didnt drive it that much?? Weird...but ttt...nice ride and great price for the miles.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

As promised:

Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
Seems weird that it has so much wear for having that low of miles...why wouldnt they have stored it indoors if they didnt drive it that much?? Weird...but ttt...nice ride and great price for the miles.
Good question. It was always garage kept when the original owner had his automotive business. But he had a stroke about 6-7 years ago and was no longer able to work on cars, or even drive. So he had to close his shop and take the GTA home. Unfortunately, he only had a carport there. Which is why the fading is uneven. Fortunately, it didn't sit in direct sunlight constantly, so 95% of the interior still looks like new, and all of the weatherstripping is still in excellent, pliable condition (other than the very bottom of the doors as shown in the pics).

This car truly just needs paint to be an amazing 3rd Gen example. What else can you buy for this money, with less than 30k miles, that's almost certainly destined to be a collectors item (if it's not already)???

For that reason, I decided to list my family car for sale on craigslist today. If it sells first, then the GTA won't be going anywhere other than to the paint booth.

Thanks to Talon77 for his post as well.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Thats good news for me then Rob.... cause if you still have this thing after we finish the Malibu, then I'm gonna buy it!! lol :-) Look at the IROC posted in the for sale section with 30k miles on it...$15k+ this is 1/3 of that cost and honestly the only thing it needs is some paint. Well worth the $$$ imo.
So, please keep it for 3-4 weeks until the Malibu is done, then i'll be happy to take it off your hands
Old 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raymer@Automotion
Good question. It was always garage kept when the original owner had his automotive business. But he had a stroke about 6-7 years ago and was no longer able to work on cars, or even drive. So he had to close his shop and take the GTA home. Unfortunately, he only had a carport there. Which is why the fading is uneven. Fortunately, it didn't sit in direct sunlight constantly, so 95% of the interior still looks like new, and all of the weatherstripping is still in excellent, pliable condition (other than the very bottom of the doors as shown in the pics).

This car truly just needs paint to be an amazing 3rd Gen example. What else can you buy for this money, with less than 30k miles, that's almost certainly destined to be a collectors item (if it's not already)???

For that reason, I decided to list my family car for sale on craigslist today. If it sells first, then the GTA won't be going anywhere other than to the paint booth.

Thanks to Talon77 for his post as well.

Happy New Year!
Very true Sir!! We bought one new in 87 and I have loved them since. I have also owned 7 other 3rd Gens including a 91 Firehawk.

Trust me, if my wife would not kill me, I would pick this car up in a second. Very cool of you to provide all the pics and info on it. I hope you can keep it man!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
Very true Sir!! We bought one new in 87 and I have loved them since.
The whole reason I bought this car was because I also bought one new in 1987. And it was identical to this one. So prepare to LYAO:

Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

pm sent
Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raymer@Automotion
The whole reason I bought this car was because I also bought one new in 1987. And it was identical to this one. So prepare to LYAO:

Damn......just damn....hahahah!!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did this go?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

I bought it from rob and now own it. Haven't done anything with it other then put some floor mats in it it's a very nice original ride.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

I have collected and sold a few low mile third gens, if you ever want to sell it pm me first please

Quick Reply: '87 GTA Trans Am - 28k Actual Miles - First $5500