Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

1998 Pontiac Trans am turbo

Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 Pontiac Trans am turbo

Year: 1998
Make: Pontiac
Model: Trans Am
Price: $11000
Mileage: 89000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): OH
Color: Black
Transmission: Automatic
LS Engine?: Car has LS engine

PLEASE SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. 98 Trans am Turbo. Great car runs low 12s driven to track. Vigilante 3800 Stall Converter. Hp tuners tune and tuner. 5" brand new front tires and rims. Brand new never installed 10" rear race star rims and lugs never installed. Subframe connectors driveshaft loop. Spohn lower control arms. Much much more to much to list. 89k miles. Never been in salt or rain. $11,000 obo.

Last edited by tamanjd; 03-19-2017 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 01-21-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

What was the trap speed at the track? Seems like it should run better than low 12's, I am 12.5 with just stall/LT/intake.

Also, appears that it still has A/C from the pics, can you confirm?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

It goes through the lights at 110mph yes has air. Sorry but I'm not really interested in discussing what your car runs. But this car consistently runs very low 12s and almost got into 11 but starts getting wheel spin. The car is near Akron Ohio. Would run much faster if the tune was made more aggressive and a new set af drs out back. Hp tuner will also come with the car. Please only serious inquiries I don't want to have a big discussion on how someone's car runs this or that but that is what this car always ran and I can give time sheets to prove it
Old 01-25-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing personal dude, I'm interested in the car, am near Pittsburgh. Been looking for a turbo car with A/C.

Just wondering what's wrong with this car you are listing that it traps at the same speed as a near stock one with similar boltons, is the boost dropping at the top end or sometihng?

Again, nothing personal, but I'm worried the car's not right if it's a turbo trapping at around 110, which is what my DD trap speed is, and I want to know what I might be buying and getting in to.

That's why I asked for trap speed, launch/tires are out of the mix as those don't really affect trap speed. Trap is an indicator of power.

I think you might have floating valvetrain or losing PSI at the top end or something. If you care to discuss and maybe help me understand what I am getting in to fine, if not no reply needed. Nice car though!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

There is only 17* total advance in the tune. The car originally made almost 600pd ft of torque at the wheels which would destroy a stock trans. And yes it also needs a good set of valve springs to be able to up the tune. Also only running 5 odd of boost. This car ran high 13 maybe 14 stock as most do. I've seen so many people tell how fast their car is then go to the track and run 14 and on up. This car made 406 hp and 475 torque at the wheels with its current tune. It is also a 2.73 rear car. I also lost about 5* knock retard on some of the hot days. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this car except the rear abs light is on. Other than that drive it right to the track with the ac on and depending on the heat and the track your gonna run low 12s. I'm talking 12.2-12.3. And get back in it and drive home or wherever else you want without any problems. Oh and I bet your cam intake care doesn't get high 20s. Even 30 mpg while driving either. Either way its running right where it should be when adding 100rwhp.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.

Can you post that dyno graph showing the HP/TQ?

Beautiful car. But trapping at 110 in HP calculators shows like 330RWHP which seems really low for a turbo car, if I can feel confident I can fix what's wrong I'd be interested in the car because this is a good price for a FI build as nice looking as yours. But I still feel something's not quite right. If anyone else would like to chime in I'd like to hear.

Thanks man

FYI my 12.5 car does not have a cam. I am ls6 intake, LT's, 3.73's, stall, lid, frost tune on chinese street tires on full weight car with A/C. And with my locking converter I get low 20's mpg and trap at 110 with ET's 12.5 on cool days.

Last edited by mk3cn4; 01-26-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Turbo

Stock with cold air and cat back exhaust
Old 01-26-2017, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

I also have a complete file on everything I've ever done to the car. And if you want to stop out I can run it up on my lift for you to look at.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks bro.. let me think about it. Need to also ask my wrenchhead freinds about it

I suspect if your valvetrain were beefed up it would keep increasing the power higher up on that graph, not sure if the PSI is holding the intake valves open up high or something. I think if PSI were dropping you'd know that since you'd see it on your guage.

Sure is a beauty. Thanks again man.. still thinking about it.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yes It definitely needs springs that is what we assumed while dynoing I just at wasn't ready to spend more money at that time after I had just spent around 6000 on the turbo. And since have lost interest and it's just not where I have been wanting to spend money lately. I never have time to make it to the track anymore anyway I have a family now and have been spending time with them instead. It was only driven to a&w one time all last summer I can't justify it sitting in my way anymore. Also if it snows a lot I would not be able to move it from one garage over to my shop because it won't move on my gravel drive in the snow ice. I also have a brand new set of race star 15x10 wheels caps and stems and nuts for the back to match to brand new ones on the front with brand new 5"tires on the front. I also have already installed arpblong studs on the rear axles in prep for the rims. You just need a new set of drs for the wheels.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Also a set of stock 16" chrome wheels will come with it. Plus the two that are still on it. There is also an msd 2step installed on the car which worked great but made it spin the tires pretty bad on launch so tires alone would probably do a lot because most of the time you have to leave from just a little above idle or the torque just makes the tires spin. The torque arm could also be adjusted a little more aggressive too. Like I said I have mostly lost interest and have moves on to other things for now. There are so many more things in the car that I haven't even mentioned and keep remembering as I talk to you. Electric exhaust cutout flow master exhaust etc. hp tuners. Dynojet widband o2. Electric fuel pressure gauge trans temp gauge boost. Two stage fan switch. Trans cooler etc. pm me if you would like my number.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
What was the trap speed at the track? Seems like it should run better than low 12's, I am 12.5 with just stall/LT/intake.

Also, appears that it still has A/C from the pics, can you confirm?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by tamanjd
It goes through the lights at 110mph yes has air. Sorry but I'm not really interested in discussing what your car runs. But this car consistently runs very low 12s and almost got into 11 but starts getting wheel spin. The car is near Akron Ohio. Would run much faster if the tune was made more aggressive and a new set af drs out back. Hp tuner will also come with the car. Please only serious inquiries I don't want to have a big discussion on how someone's car runs this or that but that is what this car always ran and I can give time sheets to prove it
bump. Any offers this thing needs a new home!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Pontiac Trans am turbo