Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

11/08: El Mirage: Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 11/08: El Mirage: Revisited

11/08: El Mirage: Revisited

What up gang? A few of us are heading out to El Mirage Dry Lakebed on November 8th and are welcoming fellow enthusiast.

Our last run (video: Dirty Pontiacs - http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...t=e0732474.flv) was great fun and we are looking to organize another run. A few of you guys had expressed interest in my last post about a part II a few weeks back so I’m tossing out an invite.

We are meeting up at the Denny’s off of Sand Cyn just off the 14 Freeway at 8am. See map below. This is just minutes north on the 14N from the San Fernando Valley.

Link to Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...s-qEVsvFQnrE7Q

We will be following a “Tread Lightly” policy. From what I understand, there will be a SCTA event the following weekend and a local wind sailing club has an event the weekend of the 8th / 9th.

Objective is to film the cars doing some high speed fly bys, some drifts, etc. Basically the fun stuff you see car commercials doing. Any donuts or things of that nature will be done far out of the way of traffic and with respects to the area.

People are welcome to bring their cameras, mounts, etc for pictures and video, as this is just a casual car meet.

Side note: Effective October 1st, they now charge $15.00 to enter the lake bed.

Below I am working on a camera mount that I am experimenting with. Its still a work in progress and should fun. Camera would be mounted on the end of the aluminum pole and be used to film backwards and forwards. Clearly the cars will be kicking up dust so we will have to be creative with capturing certain shots.

Hey, guess the ION Redline is good for something!

Warning: You car will get dirty. Unless you are a desert rat and are not afraid of getting the car dusted, this might not be a run for you. My buddy Danny took out his brand new G8 (in the video) and he doest have a scratch on the car and car was flawless one wash later. You just have to be smart about things and careful. I do recommend a sock or sleeve for your K&N.

On our way back to the valley (mid day) a few of us will be hitting up Cruisers car wash to clean up the rides. I’m looking forward to seeing their faces when we all pull up. LOL.

That’s pretty much it. Post up if interested.

Peace….
Old 10-31-2008, 01:10 AM
Teching In

I will be out definetly. It was a fun time last time and should result in some good video at the end of the day. Whos in?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Mid week bump. Weather is looking for Saturdays run.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

im in fo sheezyyyy should be really fun!but since im comin from riverside ill meet you guys there
Old 11-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your going to ruin the invironment by doing this..
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bah. i'll be in vegas (not for sema).
nice work on the mount. what camera are you using for working with all the vibration and dust?

you could remove the roof window and have someone stand there with a high end camera and a dust/haze filter on the lens, but that would be really unsafe.

have fun out there.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dan
Your going to ruin the environment by doing this..
Hahah. I know. I cant believe all the flack we got during the 1st run. I blame Danny and his G8. Perhaps he can sit this one out. Jk.

Mike Haddad and a few of the crew might be swinging by on the way home from Vegas after all. He was bummed he wasn’t invited on the 1st run. Doh. Now they might miss the 2nd run. Depending on how dusty my car gets on Saturday depends on if there will be a second run. LOL.

Originally Posted by pweterss
im in fo sheezyyyy should be really fun!but since im comin from riverside ill meet you guys there
Cool. Pm sent.

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
bah. i'll be in vegas (not for sema).
nice work on the mount. what camera are you using for working with all the vibration and dust?
The club has a real nice High Deff Cannon camera with a hard drive that we’ve only used once. The camera is like $1500 to replace so I’m a little weary about it getting dusty and what not so I’ll probably use one three cheapy $299 Samsungs we got. I have a wide angle lens I put on so it protects the actual camera lens.

Great tip on the Sunroof idea. I’m going look into that.

The video thing is just for fun. Nothing pro. Here is vid I’m putting together that’s a little more pro. There is only one shot in there with the HD cam. You probably can’t even tell. LOL…

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...t=e791e587.flv

I’ve actually added more footage to this work in progress since. Editing takes way to long!!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Final bump-age as this is prob the last time I'll check the tech.

PM me for my cell # if any else is interested in the run.

Lates,
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for fixing the spelling on Environment, must be that age thing..LOL..have fun
Old 11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Teching In

LOL. No prob. I'm always looking after my peeps.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

dam i had to work in down town LA sat!!anyone goin today?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Ah man. Sorry we missed ya. Few peeps had to back out last minute. We'll have to go again after the holidays. Keep in touch.

Here's a lil teaser vid I tossed together. Once I get the stuff from my buddies HD cam, I'll put together a final vid.

Quick Reply: 11/08: El Mirage: Revisited