Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Dirt Cheap Quality Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dirt Cheap Quality Tires?

As not just a Corvette owner but a high end sports car owner, Im used to seeing the parts for our cars higher than normal when compared to other vehicles. One area I feel that sport car owners have been getting raped on is the price for performance tires. OEM tires for our cars are easily $300-400+ea and more for some after market tires. Thats crazy, over $1200+ for tires?! So is $250-300 a good price? How about lower? A lot of guys find good buys on Khumos and BFG's for about $255 and up, and those are good tires, but I even got those beat. Last year I became a fan of the General Exclaim UHP. Thats right, a General Tire. Who? Its Generals ultimate high performance tire, and the name fits. I had these on my stock sized C5 wheels and they were great. Great traction, great control and low noise (cant hear with cam anyway). Now That I have a little larger wheels I was looking for some 295/35 r18's and found that General makes the Exclaim in this size (new tire size). So, still a little skeptical I looked at the reviews for all cars and Vettes, most were C5's, and all the reviews were very good. Check them out for yourself at DiscountTires or TireRack. The best part is the price. The 295/35's average $165-200 but Summit has them for $130! So, does more money give you more tire? Can a company whos made their money in commercial and economy tires produce a high performance tire that can compete with the best tires onthe market? Does this mean they have more time to produce a hp tire since its their only one? Im gonna find out and let you guys know, so, have an open mind guys. I should order thm next week and recieve then a few days later. I will take pics maybe vid and keep you guys posted. Michelin PS2's, move aside, the General's coming through.

Side note: 295/35r18 is a new size but Summit and TireRack have them. Stock C5 sizes are easily available at most tire places. I also plan on trying them out at a road coarse early next year to see how they hold up.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/rea...etail&pc=32505
Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading and looking at all the reviews i found some very funny things.

first, the majority of the people who rated the tire probably dont even know what a great tire feels like, they drive passats and touregs.

second, the corvette owner switched from kumho's, well need i say more, kumho's dont belong on a wheel barrow little own a "high end" sports car

third, the elise owner complained about a rough ride, yet he drives a elise? wtf... thats right buy a F550 never ever use the bed, but yet complain cause it doesnt ride like a cadillac?

and my final assesment.
There is only 1 thing that connects your car to the road, 1 thing that depicts if your going to get a 1.8 60 foot or 2.8, the differance between 1 g on the skid pad and .89, if you buy cheap tires your going to get cheap results. i gurantee that tire wont hold a candle to a quality tire such as the ps2 in mileage, noise, handling or ride comfort.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Well they held pretty good before but I only had them up front. I had a few instances where I needed to steer very fast at high speeds on the freeway and stuck to the road, not even a screech. But hey, I'll find out. Thats what this post is about. The worst is I'll be out only $260 but at least I'll have more tread than my BFG dr's I have now. Plus in these times, a good tire at this price might help some guys. Im not saying theyll be the ultimate best but for the price if theyre top 5, theyre worth it to me. We'll see.

BTW, the PS2 refrence was a little joke since they are one of the best tires on the road.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

gotcha, and i know i was retuning with the same amount of sarcasm.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Also no one has really tried out the 295/35 since theyre a new tire size but I just spoke to general and theyre 12in wide so i hope they hold.
(the website width is a misprint, they will correct it soon)
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

yeah that is the size i run as well
Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just throw some DR's on the rear

or u can always go with the NEGOTIATOR tires lol
Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Have heard others on another message boards have good reviews of those General tires. I have had bad luck with other General tires so couldnt justify trying that model. I went with the Nitto 555's on my GTO and have been very happy with them.

For my daily driven Honda Civic I love the Kumho's.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

i just bought thouse same tires for my camaro this summer. but at the time the 295's were not out yet cause that was what i wanted to so i had to setle with 275's. but yeh iwas really impresed with them for the price i think it was like 500$ for the whole set with a replacement warranty included. can't go wrong for a dd car. i thought they worked good for me as i am pretty much stock also.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by C5natie
Last year I became a fan of the General Exclaim UHP. Thats right, a General Tire. Who? Its Generals ultimate high performance tire, and the name fits. I had these on my stock sized C5 wheels and they were great. Great traction, great control and low noise (cant hear with cam anyway)
Okay, here is my assessment of this...

Nate, you sold me those general exclaim tires when you sold me your rims and this is with no disrespect to you:

I had them on a short while and I have to say that they are a shitty excuse for performance tires. They are no longer on my car and now I have Toyos. I havent really gotten on the Toyos yet but its a night/day difference.

The General Exclaim tires make the ride feel sloppy and I felt no real connection to the road. Taking turns I could hear the tires screech and try to get loose. The Hankooks I bought with my car were better. I guess if you just need tires for the front and you dont really drive your car but just drag race it they are fine but for really using your corvette i think you have and will continue to cheat yourself if you buy them again. With all respect, please do yourself a favor and buy higher end tires, you get what you pay for; especially in a tire. I'll never purchase a General tire for something other than a work truck because they are cheap.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

how you likeing those toyos caesar, did you get the t1r;'s
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

^^
Thnx for the input. I will consider that. I probably could have pushed them harder to find their threshold. These others would go in the back so we'll see if they act different. Also I found that the tire likes higher psi, like 45+. Maybe that was a factor? My car was also lower. Thnx for the advice though but like you said I have my set of race tires so these are more just for dd.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im pretty happy with my nittos for about $700 for the set but not sure if you would mind DRs.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

I have bfg dr's in the back now but dr's are to soft to handle high speed turning and cause body roll. Need a tire for handling.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Im happy with my 295/35-18 Nitto Invos
Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

I have bfg dr's in the back now but dr's are to soft to handle high speed turning and cause body roll. Need a tire for handling.
try toyo t1r's i get mine from onlinetires.com and they have free shipping,
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, your high speed turning and mine must be at very different speeds...lol. My car grips like a sob on corners.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
how you likeing those toyos caesar, did you get the t1r;'s
yes sir i got the T1r's. Ill be pushing them hard tomorrow and report back!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:32 AM
Teching In

i get good prices from discount tire direct, hit them up see what they can do for you