Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Worth it to ship my heavily modified 408 Z from VA to CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lets just say, there is ways "$$" around everything, everyone has there price
Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not throw some mufflers on it to quiet it down.If loud is the only thing your scared of getting pulled over for.They wont generally pull you over for nothing,so just get it out here..
you can also get a mailing address in a northern county and then you dont have to smog it period
Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Truth. I need to get a quieter exhaust anyway. The LM1 is painful.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your located by the bay area?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm in Dublin. Been here a year and a half now.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Ok, just talked to my friend and he has a guy in the bay area that could hook you up if you ever decided to bring it here.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bring the car out, the bay area is a good place to come and play with a fast car lots of fast and loud cars out here amongst all the tree huggers lol.. PM me about smog..
Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sweet. I appreciate all the help, guys. My house lease is up in July so I need to figure out what's going on with that first. So, it's looking like it'll be around late summer that it would be brought out here. Look forward to meeting everyone.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Eh, maybe I'll just order the new Camaro. 422hp and smog legal is a nice start.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Resurrection.

Still haven't shipped the car out yet but I do have a place for it now in my garage. I got the stock springs swapped back onto it so someone could actually load it onto a truck to ship it out here. I'm still battling with the smog issue, though. I'm very weary of shipping it out and ending up having to swap a stock motor back into. Put way too much work into it to do that.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Teching In

If your worried about being pulled over just quiet it down and don't drive too aggressively, you will be fine. I would also look around for someone to help you out with smog. Just ship it.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 AM
11 Second Club

Dude...there are a TON of other more aggressive cars out there on the road. I drive mine just about every day and its probably just as loud as yours.....with a loud *** blower as well. Smog can be done....don't worry about that...a couple guys already chimed in saying they could hook it up. Worst case senario....you get a ticket and take care of it then. I myself and a couple of others have gotten them before...not a big deal. They don't take your car or anything lol
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Haha, thanks for the optimism, guys. You're making the decision a bit easier for me, which I really appreciate. I haven't seen many loud LSx's around so I wasn't sure of the numbers of existence of ones like mine. Actually the first thing (after a re-tune for 91 instead of 93) I would do is get a quieter exhaust. The SLP LM1 is just flat-out obnoxious.

I'm not sure how I'd "take care of" a ticket I would get for my car's current lack of being able to pass smog.

BTW, here's more info about my setup:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-my-setup.html
Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

You're overthinking this. Just bring it out here. Get a hook up on the smog and throw CA plates on it. Change the exhaust and drive it. Generally when you get pulled over out here, they really only care about what you did, and could really care less about the car you're driving. The exception to that rule would be if you are giving them a reason to hassle you. Such as driving a rice bucket, giving them attitude or driving wreckless/drunk/racing, etc.

There are plenty of people that have a car that's stock, smog it, and then crazily mod it directly afterwards. If you were busted for the mods say same day as the smog, then maybe in that case you'd bring heat to the smog shop. But what are the odds.

This is worst case, and chances you'll never need to do this, but just to ease your mind: if you were sent to a ref, just throw stock manifolds back on it, stock cam, and retune. The ref would never know about the CI increase or heads. They dont look for casting numbers or anything like that. And it will blow the same numbers as stock or better.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No way I'm ever swapping stock parts back onto the block. It's either all or nothing. If I get a fix-it ticket for engine mods, I'll most likely just do a complete block swap to something else (considered just doing a set it and forget it LS7 swap), or end up selling the car. I've put too much into it to start farting around swapping different parts around just to be able to drive it. I used to have a lot more time to fool around with it, but I don't anymore. Got way too many other projects and things to do anymore.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
No way I'm ever swapping stock parts back onto the block. It's either all or nothing. If I get a fix-it ticket for engine mods, I'll most likely just do a complete block swap to something else (considered just doing a set it and forget it LS7 swap), or end up selling the car. I've put too much into it to start farting around swapping different parts around just to be able to drive it. I used to have a lot more time to fool around with it, but I don't anymore. Got way too many other projects and things to do anymore.
I definitely hear you on the free time part. Honestly, there's almost no chance of it coming to that point anyway. You have cats, just throw a nice magnaflow muffler to quiet her down and enjoy the car out here. I'd go crazy not having mine this long.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's what I was thinking. Throw a quiet Magnaflow cat-back on there and be much better at ease with the noise level. As for the cat's, they're so small I always get weird looks from the visual inspectors in VA when they look under there. They're not really sure what to make of them as they look almost fake but they technically satisfy the law. I never get tired of the look on their face when I pull into the shop rattling the windows and blowing fuel out the exhaust, but a plug-in of the OBD II test yields passing results with zero issues. It was a great day when VA decided to ditch the sniffer test.

I'm right there with you on going crazy without it. I went out and tested the new Camaro SS when it came out just to get a bit of a fix, but was disappointed how it felt like such a dog. The salesman come up thinking this would be my fast car and I have to inform them this would be my slower DD.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 AM
11 Second Club

PM one of the "smog" guys. I'm sure they can explain how it works. Just bring the dam thing out lol. I had a LM1 on my car until just recently. Its not as hard as you think.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to get a smog tomorrow. My $ says I'll pass. 15mins in and out.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Teching In

when i mooved out hear from chicago i brot my 84 z28 with me.

I had to get a Ca DL for Ins but left my IL plates on the car till i parted it out

(do to rust & getting a verry clean 89 vert ) 3 or 4 years later.
I was going to school "thats the outher loop hole" if your a FT stodent you dont have to get CA plates as long as your in classes. I was never asked to pruve how meny credits i was taking! just have an school id or a bunch of books in the back seat then you let your home state know the car is residing out of state & thay shuld exemt you from thear smog untill you bring it back, thats what IL did any way. & as much as i hate to say it, don't go to the chp asking for help, unless you want them to be looking for you! go to the ca dmv web site & read. thats what i did... when i got pold over & was told i had to redister my car in ca i just sed no I dont I'm hear for school! after a siting in the car for a few checking... wuld come back, ask if i was full time (I'd say yes) then reluctently tell me to drive safe & have a nice day.
PS I'm runing CC LT headers & tsp catted 3" Y-pipe on a stock cat back on my 00SS & I can sit nex to a cop @ a red light & not get a 2ed look

Quick Reply: Worth it to ship my heavily modified 408 Z from VA to CA?