Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

smoking rotor!!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoking rotor!!

need some help.. any is thankful

so i put the ls1 brake set up on my lt1.. new rotor new pads.. one side everything is working fine but the driver side has to much drag. so i said to my self ok ill drive the car and it will break in.. no, come back rotor is blue and the **** is smoking and alot of drag.. im using the lt1 hub on the ls1 spindle, should i put back the ls1 hub???? thanks any ideas will be thankful.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Did you clean the grease off when you installed the rotors? Why are you running lt1 hub on an ls1 spindle.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

i was advised to.. and yes everything was cleaned before and after i put it togather.. so should i go back to the ls1 hub..
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Check if you're leaking brake fluid. That might be why your rotor is smoking and causing your brakes to drag. Did you put new copper washers?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

verify your brakes are dragging! drive around the block and then jack the car up, spin each side and see if one or both ? are dragging. if they are, open the bleeder and see if it gets loose? if it does? you will need to start checking to see where it is holding?

1- brake hose (bad inside) allowing fluid to go to the caliper, but not return to the master?

2-bad master, holding pressure even when foot off pedal?

3-bad caliper, piston seal is sticking/piston is scorred causing the piston to not return in the bore?

like i said, i would start by jacking it up and have someone pump the brakes, then spin the wheel to verify it's dragging. then open the bleeder and see if it frees up? (make sure fluid comes out!) if it dosen't? try prying the piston back to give the pads clearance and see if it frees up. this will verify that the caliper is the problem!

if you open the bleeder and it does free up? then pump the brakes again and get it draggin, then open the brake line at the master cyl. see if it frees up? if it does then the master is holding pressure internal or your linkage to the pedal might be pushing the master in and holding.

if you open the line at the master and it dosen't free up, go to the brake hose and open it at the end to the hard line. if it still won't free up? the hose is bad inside.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

did you put any washers on the hub or the caliper brackets? a similar thing happended to me when i installed corvette calipers and rotors on my camaro, i put the washers in the wrong spot on one side, and the caliper ended up not lining up correctly which caused similar symptoms to the ones your experiencing, it was a stupid mistake but i caught it right away. everything yrlosing said ^^^^^ is also great info too
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

make sure that both pistons are working n not just one....if only one is working then ur going to have problems.....u should have told me ahead of time i would have helped u gwey
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar situation happen to me but turn out the caliper was bad. So, i replaced both of them.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hubs are the same, so that shouldnt matter.

Jack up the car and spin the tires, do you hear any noise? does the driver's side tire stop faster than the other? yrlosing gave you some good things to check.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

well i found out what was wrong, it turns out that the rotors that i get for the car where made to thick, i dont know how that happens but yup, thats what was wrong. took them back and got new ones and everything was fine.. thanks for all the advise..
Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

wtf? where did you get the rotors and what kind were they?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: smoking rotor!!