Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Oldy but goody vid. Me > cop

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im dealing with a bald tire ticket right now, the ******* cop didnt even pull out a depth gauge, i go to get it signed off and the local pd wants 50 ******* dollars to do so! i could not ******* believe it
Old 03-17-2009, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
im dealing with a bald tire ticket right now, the ******* cop didnt even pull out a depth gauge, i go to get it signed off and the local pd wants 50 ******* dollars to do so! i could not ******* believe it
**** $50 dollars, I only pay $10 here in fullerton.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

DOT approval does not mean it is street legal, all tires must be DOT approved to be sold but will be sold as street tires vs racing tires, if you read this link, way down at the bottom it classifies racing tires, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire. Hoosier even specifies in their warranty that they are not for highway use. The section he cited you for was the appropriate section he just titled it wrong, you were driving an unsafe vehicle and he cited you the right section he just labeled it because they were bald tires, he should have said they were not street legal tires. That is how he screwed up and you were probably able to get the ticket thrown out of court.

NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by transambandit
DOT approval does not mean it is street legal, all tires must be DOT approved to be sold but will be sold as street tires vs racing tires, if you read this link, way down at the bottom it classifies racing tires, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire. Hoosier even specifies in their warranty that they are not for highway use. The section he cited you for was the appropriate section he just titled it wrong, you were driving an unsafe vehicle and he cited you the right section he just labeled it because they were bald tires, he should have said they were not street legal tires. That is how he screwed up and you were probably able to get the ticket thrown out of court.

NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.
That is simply hoosiers disclaimer to (attempt to) release them from any liability that may arise from an accident while someone is driving on the said tires. THEY ARE 100% STREET LEGAL. They are DOT approved, and have tread that meets AND EXCEEDS the minimum required depth for use on California Highways. I have been over this excat scenerio and penal code fine print with my Uncle who is on Fresno PD, as well as my attorney who was a CHP officer for over 2 decades. Any attempt by an officer to cite these DOT approved tires with ample tread depth as "illegal" or "unsafe" is an error in judegement or intrepretaion of the law AND WILL NOT result in conviction in court.

Your WIKI link also provides no useful information reguarding DOT approved "street slicks" and as we all know wikipedia is a user generated encyclopedia. For all its worth I can personally create the section for DOT tires and link it here for you, citing vehicle code that specifies my tires were 100% within the law.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just showed my pops this vid, he laughed hard... He was like hell yeah stick it to the cop.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Great freaken video !!!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think I remember the vid but I can't see it here at work.

Kern county police, correct?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Coy
I think I remember the vid but I can't see it here at work.

Kern county police, correct?
...sherrifs
Old 03-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah, I remember dealing with them on an occasion or two when I was stationed in Ridgecrest.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
That is simply hoosiers disclaimer to (attempt to) release them from any liability that may arise from an accident while someone is driving on the said tires. THEY ARE 100% STREET LEGAL. They are DOT approved, and have tread that meets AND EXCEEDS the minimum required depth for use on California Highways. I have been over this excat scenerio and penal code fine print with my Uncle who is on Fresno PD, as well as my attorney who was a CHP officer for over 2 decades. Any attempt by an officer to cite these DOT approved tires with ample tread depth as "illegal" or "unsafe" is an error in judegement or intrepretaion of the law AND WILL NOT result in conviction in court.

Your WIKI link also provides no useful information reguarding DOT approved "street slicks" and as we all know wikipedia is a user generated encyclopedia. For all its worth I can personally create the section for DOT tires and link it here for you, citing vehicle code that specifies my tires were 100% within the law.
DOT also approves NASCAR and INDY tires but that doesnt mean you can go driving around on them. DOT simply has to approve all tires for a company to sell them, meaning they have passed their standarized test for tires. DOT approved does not make them street legal, if that were the case then the law would simply be, Must drive DOT approved tires on highway. But it does not, it classifies them as street tires and racing tires. Racing tires are not street legal. How did you get out of the ticket? Because the officer stated the tires were bald, all you had to do at that point was show the judge they were within legal limit for tread, because the officer screwed up in the labeling of the cite, if he would have labeled it as an unsafe vehicle due to racing tires on highway you wouldnt have gotten out of the ticket. It was the right section for the ticket but wrong verbiage. Also the cop cut you a break because technically when we cite for that section you are supposed to impound the vehicle and the only way you could get it out would be if you brought your own tow truck to the tow yard.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DOT also approves NASCAR and INDY tires but that doesnt mean you can go driving around on them. DOT simply has to approve all tires for a company to sell them, meaning they have passed their standarized test for tires. DOT approved does not make them street legal, if that were the case then the law would simply be, Must drive DOT approved tires on highway. But it does not, it classifies them as street tires and racing tires. Racing tires are not street legal. How did you get out of the ticket? Because the officer stated the tires were bald, all you had to do at that point was show the judge they were within legal limit for tread, because the officer screwed up in the labeling of the cite, if he would have labeled it as an unsafe vehicle due to racing tires on highway you wouldnt have gotten out of the ticket. It was the right section for the ticket but wrong verbiage. Also the cop cut you a break because technically when we cite for that section you are supposed to impound the vehicle and the only way you could get it out would be if you brought your own tow truck to the tow yard.

Waht does make them legal is the fact that they have tread otherwise the they would not be drag radials, as long as there is a tread on the tire and that tread is within the 2/32 in tread depth they are considered street able tires, smart... maybe not are they legal... yes.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Teching In

That is simply hoosiers disclaimer to (attempt to) release them from any liability that may arise from an accident while someone is driving on the said tires. THEY ARE 100% STREET LEGAL. They are DOT approved, and have tread that meets AND EXCEEDS the minimum required depth for use on California Highways.
To be honest with you I think that the sargent signed it off because he did not want to deal with a whiny little bitch, no offense. The LAW states in vehicle section code 27465 paragraph e that it is up to the department to decide what is "safe" or not. The fact that the minimum tread requirement is 1/32 of an inch and you had 6/32 of an inch would have not made a big difference in court IMO. BUT because of your "persistence" you got the ticket signed off.

Kern county f-ing sucks to be honest with you but that cop was 100% cool with you and was just trying to do his job. It may seem insignificant to you to give people bald tire tickets but if you step out of your comfort zone and look at it from a mother, who lost her two sons in an accident because they were driving on semi-bald tires point of view, then maybe you can see the importance of traffic safety tickets.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Also the cop cut you a break because technically when we cite for that section you are supposed to impound the vehicle and the only way you could get it out would be if you brought your own tow truck to the tow yard.
then you would have had a nice video of your car ebing towed! lol...

Be safe out there guys!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by X.Modesto
To be honest with you I think that the sargent signed it off because he did not want to deal with a whiny little bitch, no offense. The LAW states in vehicle section code 27465 paragraph e that it is up to the department to decide what is "safe" or not. The fact that the minimum tread requirement is 1/32 of an inch and you had 6/32 of an inch would have not made a big difference in court IMO. BUT because of your "persistence" you got the ticket signed off.

Kern county f-ing sucks to be honest with you but that cop was 100% cool with you and was just trying to do his job. It may seem insignificant to you to give people bald tire tickets but if you step out of your comfort zone and look at it from a mother, who lost her two sons in an accident because they were driving on semi-bald tires point of view, then maybe you can see the importance of traffic safety tickets.
Don't mis-read that section:
(e) The department, if it determines that such action is appropriate and in keeping with reasonable safety requirements, may adopt regulations establishing more stringent tread depth requirements than those specified in this section for those vehicles defined in Sections 322 and 545, and may adopt regulations establishing tread depth requirements different from those specified in this section for those vehicles listed in Section 34500.
It doesn't leave the discretion up to the untrained officer. It states the department may adopt different regulations that must also keep within reasonable safety requirements. So, no, it is not okay for the officer to change LAW on a whim. Additionally, even if Kern adopted different regulations (which it did not), I doubt they would require depth greater than 6/32" since that would likely fall outside of the reasonable realm.

Call me a whiny little bitch all you want. Even a whiny little bitch has given rights rewared with the privlidge of obtaining a drivers license

Last edited by ninetres; 03-17-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And nothing against you transambandit, but a guy driving with those kind of tires on camaro, not a civic or prelude, a camaro which has power to begin with, obviously can drive and is not driving unsafe, I could see if nintres was speeding like an idiot and was being reckless then yes the cop would have had the right to be like ticket... but to just pull a guy over in a car, that is not a slow car to begin with, that has et streets or drag radials that is just ridiculous. There are drug dealers getting away every day that kills more people that someone driving on bald tires.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
And nothing against you transambandit, but a guy driving with those kind of tires on camaro, not a civic or prelude, a camaro which has power to begin with, obviously can drive and is not driving unsafe, I could see if nintres was speeding like an idiot and was being reckless then yes the cop would have had the right to be like ticket... but to just pull a guy over in a car, that is not a slow car to begin with, that has et streets or drag radials that is just ridiculous. There are drug dealers getting away every day that kills more people that someone driving on bald tires.
I don't agree with you on those points, but I would also like to metion this was just outside of a local drag strip where LEOs should be promoting racing at a safe venue, on STREET LEGAL TIRES, while keeping the racing off the streets.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't agree with you on those points, but I would also like to metion this was just outside of a local drag strip where LEOs should be promoting racing at a safe venue, on STREET LEGAL TIRES, while keeping the racing off the streets.
SOrry I should have added that to my statement. I would say yes there are those who can't drive and buy these cars but they aren't killing anyone, in an accident, most people who have these cars can handle it. and yes drugs kill more people than someone driving on bald tires.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Waht does make them legal is the fact that they have tread otherwise the they would not be drag radials, as long as there is a tread on the tire and that tread is within the 2/32 in tread depth they are considered street able tires, smart... maybe not are they legal... yes.
Tread is not the only requirement for street legal tires.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well as far as i knew it was... I will stick to enjoying the video and my normal smart *** comments.. you guys have a pleasant day.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Can you please point me to the vehicle code where it states otherwise? Not being a "whiny bitch", I'd just like to learn. It'd be nice to know so I can inform my Uncle of the FPD, the Sargent of the KCSD, and my attorney who specializes in traffic citations and happens to be a 20+ year veteran of the CHP.

Quick Reply: Oldy but goody vid. Me > cop