Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Oldy but goody vid. Me > cop

Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i for one feel that the unsafe violation was bull ****, its clearly obvious the tires are in fact dot approved, which means they meet all the standards any other tire meets to be "street legal" and as for the tire being unsafe, how do you figure? .
Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
According to the code sections on tires, the tires are legal. Yet he is saying that there is another code section that allows him to override the section directly relating to tires and deem them unsafe? What is the purpose of having the code section laying out the elements required for tires to be deemed roadworthy if it can just be ignored at the officer's discretion?
This sums up my point quite well. There is a section of the vehicle code that CLEARLY lays out reasonable safety requirements for tires used on the highway. No where in that section does it mention an officer discression, or "Refer to tire manufacture website liability disclosure" for legality.

While I do see the grey area in the "unsafe vehicle" section, I do not believe an officer can deem a particular car part as unsafe if the tire meets all requirements listed in the code that DIRECTLY adresses the issue.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ninetres
Also, can you show me the vehicle code you are enforcing when you cite someone for "racing tires"?
No offense man, but your lucky you didn't get a state ref ticket or is your car legal for CA roads?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by X.Modesto
No offense man, but your lucky you didn't get a state ref ticket or is your car legal for CA roads?
what does that have to do with what we are talking about? quit bashing on the guy you act like he was street racing. he was at the local drag strip doing it legally and this *** hole cop sat outside picking on people.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

My car is CA legal. Thanks for asking.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if I remember correctly this was before cops were as informed as they are now in terms of illegal mods, correct?

So if he had problems identifying why he's ticketing the tires, you could imagine what would have happened if he popped the hood? Probably would have have thought EGR was a turbo.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

cop: "well i got better things to do" OP: "well obviously not you pulled me over for tires" man i thought that was hilarious!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
quit bashing on the guy you act like he was street racing.
I said no offense lol, He obviously took care of business and throughly owned the deputy. Ninetres I still believe that the officer was right in giving you the ticket but the ticket was not right and you proved that! See you at famaso sometime soon!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Wow. !
Old 03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Teching In

and look at it from a mother, who lost her two sons in an accident because they were driving on semi-bald tires point of view, then maybe you can see the importance of traffic safety tickets.
i reduced qoute down to point. "bald" tires are created for racing because they give better traction. the baldness is not the reason for tread depth law, preventing blowouts from lack of thickness that cause lack of vehicle control is. dot approval is not a sale requirement but a form of safety guarantee that the tires meet a certain criteria.

Main Entry: 1guar·an·tee
Pronunciation: \ˌger-ən-ˈtē, ˌgär-, ˌga-rən- also ˈger-ən-ˌ or ˈgär-ən-ˌ, ˈga-rən-ˌ\
Function: noun
Etymology: probably alteration of 1guaranty
Date: 1680
1: guarantor
2: guaranty 1
3: an assurance for the fulfillment of a condition: as a: an agreement by which one person undertakes to secure another in the possession or enjoyment of something b: an assurance of the quality of or of the length of use to be expected from a product offered for sale often with a promise of reimbursement
4: guaranty 4

Last edited by castine917; 03-20-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oink, oink... F----ing pigs!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by transambandit
your tires are not illegal because of the tread, they are illegal because they are designed and marked as racing tires, which in CA you can not drive a racing tire on the highway. So he cited you the right section just used the wrong terms
wtf are you talking about???? How can it be the "right section" when that section doesnt even mention the word "racing" ??? What part of that section are you talking about? The code section has been posted, point out hte parts youre talking about

can u please clarify this statement? Since when does the officer have to "make up the right language" in order for a code section to apply?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

wtf are you talking about???? How can it be the "right section" when that section doesnt even mention the word "racing" ??? What part of that section are you talking about? The code section has been posted, point out hte parts youre talking about

can u please clarify this statement? Since when does the officer have to "make up the right language" in order for a code section to apply?
The section for unsafe vehicle is very broad and is cited based on an officers training and experience, every dept interprets it differently, in this instance he was cited he had an unsafe vehicle because of bald tires and the thread depth which isnt going to fly in court because the thread is fine, its the fact that they are racing tires that makes them unsafe. It doesnt have to spell it out you just have to narrate on the ticket your reasons for the unsafe vehicle code being cited.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by transambandit
The section for unsafe vehicle is very broad and is cited based on an officers training and experience, every dept interprets it differently, in this instance he was cited he had an unsafe vehicle because of bald tires and the thread depth which isnt going to fly in court because the thread is fine, its the fact that they are racing tires that makes them unsafe. It doesnt have to spell it out you just have to narrate on the ticket your reasons for the unsafe vehicle code being cited.
So it doesnt have to say that racing tires are unsafe anywhere, it doesnt even matter if the tires are approved for highway use AND within the guidelines specified in the tire code section, all you have to do is "narrate" a reason why you think their unsafe? And your reason can even go completely against what the code section specifically created for tires says? That's bs.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

So it doesnt have to say that racing tires are unsafe anywhere, it doesnt even matter if the tires are approved for highway use AND within the guidelines specified in the tire code section, all you have to do is "narrate" a reason why you think their unsafe? And your reason can even go completely against what the code section specifically created for tires says? That's bs.
That is THIS particular officers "interpretation" of the code. I too agree that he can't be right. He has yet to point out ANYTHING in the vehicle code what-so-ever that insinuates that "racing tires" are unsafe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oldy but goody vid. Me > cop