Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

any reputable automotive school in the L.A. area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any reputable automotive school in the L.A. area?

I just moved to L.A. from texas. I'm trying to go to an automotive technical school. Is there anything similar to the Automotive School of Machinests (SAM's school) out here?
Or any technical school that i could get a good degree from?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahah uti but i would definitely not recommend it, my dad took alot of great machining classes at cerritos college, u may wanna look there
Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

is uti a pretty bad choice around here? and is that the name of the college- cerritos?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya haha ive had friends that went, one is now working back at stater bros, he was top of his class but jiffy lube wasnt paying the billz, another friend worked at a dealer was doin alright for dealer work that is, but now he got laid off. But u can google it theres tons of stories even on here, bottom line you can get the same or better training at most local colleges, depending on what you want to do, as long as you have your head on your shoulders people will pay you much more respect other than the classic uti guy " yea i like cars so i dropped $25000" and still puts coffee cans on their exhaust.
What type of work are you looking at getting into?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

haha!!! i like that quote. i know exactly what you're talking about.

i originally wanted to go to the school of auotomotive machinest's in houston. but i ended up moving over here. at that school there are 3 different courses of study: cnc machineing, engine block tech, and cylinder head design. companies like afr, comp, trick flow, slp,.... etc. look there for employees.

i'm kinda trying to find a school thats a little more in depth than uti. although my if my options are limited i don't mind persuing some classes at a junior college like you said.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to Cerittos before id waste my $ at UTI.

Why would you move out of Texas if you wanted to go to a top notch automotive school?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

wyotech is the only auto trade school really worth a damn around here...
but you can get the same info and hands on experience with modern day tooling at any community college... every association is going to teach you the same pertinent information... its all about what YOU take away from the program...
sam is the best around...many professionals i know have had training there.. i wouldnt mind taking the cnc course there if i could afford it...lol
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

id go, **** if you can make a name for yourself california has alot of opportunities. have you been to john forces garage, amazing stuff. what i would do is go to a good local school. meet as many people as you can in that line of work, and prove that you know what the hell your doing. chances are the teachers have plenty of leads too. other than cerritos (http://www.cerritos.edu/) i havnt heard of any out towards L.A. but that doesnt mean there isnt any. Id go down there take a tour and see what they have to offer. I hate to say it but alot of older guys that run these top brands think most of these schools are a joke just because of their students, SAM's is a reputable place but alot of these like UTI and Wyotech will take anyone with a big enough wallet which ends up being anyone but when they go out into the "real world" they dont have the experience or the ability to just bust *** and get their hands dirty. Now im not saying all of them, but a large majority which in turn ruins the employers respect for that school.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

well, first off i found out sam's was way too expensive. But Wyotech sounds pretty appealing. But if i can get the same experience from an average junior college, then i guess that would be the most practical route. I'm just curious, will employers look at a resume the same if you have studied auto tech at a junior college the same as the would a auto specific school?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
ya haha ive had friends that went, one is now working back at stater bros, he was top of his class but jiffy lube wasnt paying the billz, another friend worked at a dealer was doin alright for dealer work that is, but now he got laid off. But u can google it theres tons of stories even on here, bottom line you can get the same or better training at most local colleges, depending on what you want to do, as long as you have your head on your shoulders people will pay you much more respect other than the classic uti guy " yea i like cars so i dropped $25000" and still puts coffee cans on their exhaust.
What type of work are you looking at getting into?
I agree with the above...

I have two friends, one went to UTI and the other to Wyotech. They both say its a waste of money and wish that they would have gone to a city college, which is cheaper and you can get the same education.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
id go, **** if you can make a name for yourself california has alot of opportunities. have you been to john forces garage, amazing stuff. what i would do is go to a good local school. meet as many people as you can in that line of work, and prove that you know what the hell your doing. chances are the teachers have plenty of leads too. other than cerritos (http://www.cerritos.edu/) i havnt heard of any out towards L.A. but that doesnt mean there isnt any. Id go down there take a tour and see what they have to offer. I hate to say it but alot of older guys that run these top brands think most of these schools are a joke just because of their students, SAM's is a reputable place but alot of these like UTI and Wyotech will take anyone with a big enough wallet which ends up being anyone but when they go out into the "real world" they dont have the experience or the ability to just bust *** and get their hands dirty. Now im not saying all of them, but a large majority which in turn ruins the employers respect for that school.

amen to that hahah im a graduate of cerritos' automotive ASEP program (for GM). I graduated as an ASE Master certified technician with an AA degree in automotive technology and repair, and I now own my own business doing mobile repair/performance mods. I also got a scholarship (which is very very easy to do) which paid for tuition, books AND TOOLS otherwise the whole program is only like 2k for the entire 2 1/2 years or whatever long it is. Feel free to ask me any questions about it, i know all the staff so i can point you in the wright direction if you need! seriously going to cerritos was like the best decision i ever made.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by riplt1
well, first off i found out sam's was way too expensive. But Wyotech sounds pretty appealing. But if i can get the same experience from an average junior college, then i guess that would be the most practical route. I'm just curious, will employers look at a resume the same if you have studied auto tech at a junior college the same as the would a auto specific school?
to tell you the truth employers are going to look at you, in todays world, employers will throw away countless applications, your best best is get the knowledge from the school, and go where ever youd like to work and talk to them face to face, easiest way to get a job and it shows you actually care about your work, just as easy as it is for you to send a email with your resume to them, is it for them to trash it. they wouldnt do that to your face though
but before you make any decision, research as much as you can about any school you plan on going to, it is a big decision both for you future and your finances. good luck man
Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

haha anyone notice the ad on the bottom, they are trying to getcha! it was a wyotech one if it doesnt show

Last edited by lowerthanyou00; 06-11-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Nope, I got the ITT Technical Institute ad lol, they are tracking all the keywords for the ads.

Your words will be advertized against you.

I was going to say that El Camino College in Gardena/Torrance? has a full program. Just depends where your located.

Quick Reply: any reputable automotive school in the L.A. area?