Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any legal cats in California?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always purchase those direct fit cats through Summit and have then shipped to someone OUT of California. That person could then ship them to you......just a thought.....
Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
You could always purchase those direct fit cats through Summit and have then shipped to someone OUT of California. That person could then ship them to you......just a thought.....
If it worked for ephedrine, it will work for cats.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is all your call but i would get shorty headers and gutted factory cats for maximum power. When smog comes swap out the gutted ones for the good ones it will be a quick swap.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 180ls1
It is all your call but i would get shorty headers and gutted factory cats for maximum power. When smog comes swap out the gutted ones for the good ones it will be a quick swap.
I think I'll prob order the magnaflow direct fit cats to a friend in nevada and have him ship them to me. I'd put the fake cats on if it weren't for the mobile smog dyno's near me. The scheduled smog check isn't hard to get around, it's the random mobile ones that will get me.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

RedNeck Z,
Since you had what I currently have now, what was the difference between the JBA shorties and direct fit high flow cats vs your current setup? People keep saying to remove the shorties and put on long tubes, but there is a COST and Emissions issue involved, so its sort of counter productive in that respect for me.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

RedNeck Z,
Since you had what I currently have now, what was the difference between the JBA shorties and direct fit high flow cats vs your current setup? People keep saying to remove the shorties and put on long tubes, but there is a COST and Emissions issue involved, so its sort of counter productive in that respect for me.
Thanks.
I agree, and I think you have one of the better flowing pseudo, smog legal exhausts out there and thats why I went the same route a few years back. The difference between my JBA/magnaflow exhaust and longtubes, I'm afraid will be a horsepower difference of 20-30 rwhp. I never dyno'd my car with the shorties on, but did 420 rwhp with my current setup and longtubes. From what I've seen, heads/smogable cams and shorties are usually worth more like <400 rwhp. I'm guessing I should be somewhere in the 380-400 rwhp range. I don't want to lose hp, but I'll give up some power in order to be able to drive my car anywhere without fear of having my car impounded and/or sent to the ref.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Redneck Z......
Are you running the LS1 cammed or the LS6 achieving your current power? I ask this because I am running a crate LS6 with the JBA shorties, Magnaflow high flow direct fit cats out the back through a Flowmaster 80 series. I also have SLP CAI which sucks from the bottom below the radiator, thus the reason for the new crate LS6 engine. The previous owner was driving home in the rain. He hit just enough water resulting in a splash up into that SLP intake. The result was a rod out the side of the block. I am wondering how much my car is putting down to the ground with this otherwise stock setup. It does also have a tune on top of the install. It runs amazing, but then again, its my first LSX series engine.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ it will make a good amount more if you junk that flowmaster 80 series. I would guess 360rwhp now maybe another 10 with a better muffler.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 180ls1
^ it will make a good amount more if you junk that flowmaster 80 series. I would guess 360rwhp now maybe another 10 with a better muffler.
180Ls1,
Which muffler would you recommend that I go with as far as replacement? I was thinking maybe just remove the Flowmaster and hang a Magnaflow in the exact same position and minimize the pain and cost. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.........
Thanks,
Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

180Ls1,
Which muffler would you recommend that I go with as far as replacement? I was thinking maybe just remove the Flowmaster and hang a Magnaflow in the exact same position and minimize the pain and cost. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.........
Thanks,
My car is an LS1(347), I just have an LS6 intake on top of it. I used to have the Magnaflow on my car and its one of the best flowing. If it was me, I'd just cut out the flowmaster and weld the magnaflow in. You should see some power increase with that.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

180Ls1,
Thanks,
Well if you like the sound right now you can have a 3" cutout installed and you can open it up and have the best flow possible and still keep the flowmaster if you like it. Otherwise i would get a hooker or a magnaflow and have it welded in.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

As an update to the original topic of this thread, I called Magnaflow. None of their OBDII cats are legal for 98-02 LS1's in CA. They also have no plans of ever making one because CARB has decided that this car can only have cats from the dealer installed..period. Looks like good old CA has completely done away with any options for cats other than OEM. I can't believe CARB has so much control now! I expect in the near future that CARB will once again talk about making a law where only dealers and CARB certified shops can work on your car and only use CARB certified junk. CARB wants it to be illegal for you to work on your own car. I just bought my car back after 3 years without it, and had forgotten how crazy and power hungry we are allowing CARB to become..UGh!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like it's time to have two exhaust setups, one for daily driving and one for smog every two years. I'm thinking about doing this before I put my cam in.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidog5150
Looks like it's time to have two exhaust setups, one for daily driving and one for smog every two years. I'm thinking about doing this before I put my cam in.
That only works if you have a set up that will pass with cats...

Quick Reply: Any legal cats in California?