Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

car wont pass egr or evap monitors need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont pass egr or evap monitors need help

Didnt have any succes on the pcm diag and tuning section. well my car failed smog on thursday because it hadnt passed all the monitors yet (egr,Evap).I had erased the check engine light that morning after having a cat replaced and drove it 40 miles before going in for smog. since then i have driven the car on the freeway and in stop and go traffic for 147 miles and these two monitors have still not passed. I removed the egr and checked for any blockage and verified the pintle did come back to the fully seated position.Any one have any suggestions? car is a 98 trans-am
Old 03-13-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erg and evap are monitored at crusing speeds. U have to keep driving your car in the freeway. Try to keep it steady at around 50 with out stopping for about 15 min. All u gotta do is keep driving it. Have your cat monitors passed? There isn't really much u can do to make them pass but drive it. Don't accelerate hard or drive hard though.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

If ypu have a good scanner you can see wich one are ready and wich ones aren't. Do what mannyman said.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just have them tuned out !! most tuners will do it for practically free
Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

ill drive the car on the freeway, my scanner shows only those two monitors left. all the others have passed.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy editing software and set them lol
Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

just added another 40 miles on the car, cruising on the freeway and some stop and go traffic. monitors still show as not passed. ill try to get a hold of my tuner and see can he can help me out here. would an egr that doesnt fully close or open cause the monitor not to pass without setting a check engine light?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your check engine light will always come on if your egr valve doesn't fully open or close. And it will run like crap too. Stall and run rough and all that bad stuff haha. What type of scanner are you using?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Im using an innova hand held scanner. i cant monitor the egr pid with it just basic ones like o2s and maf stuff like that. I have acces to efi live the only problem is im not familiar with it so i wouldnt know how to make it pass. ill try contacting my tuner and see if he can help me out.Any other suggestions? I already got it to pass the sniffer and this is the only thing holding me back.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98trans-am
Im using an innova hand held scanner. i cant monitor the egr pid with it just basic ones like o2s and maf stuff like that. I have acces to efi live the only problem is im not familiar with it so i wouldnt know how to make it pass. ill try contacting my tuner and see if he can help me out.Any other suggestions? I already got it to pass the sniffer and this is the only thing holding me back.
If u want I can help u scan the monitors more further. I have a verus by snap on and it's pretty good.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I put a couple of miles on it last night and it finally passed the egr monitor. evap still hasnt passed. was told youre allowed to have one monitor that hasnt passed in order to pass smog.

mannyman84- thanks but youre probably to far for me to drive i live in palm springs and i shouldnt be driving the car, tags expired.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98trans-am
I put a couple of miles on it last night and it finally passed the egr monitor. evap still hasnt passed. was told youre allowed to have one monitor that hasnt passed in order to pass smog.

mannyman84- thanks but youre probably to far for me to drive i live in palm springs and i shouldnt be driving the car, tags expired.
No problem. Around here they allow up to 2 I believe.

Quick Reply: car wont pass egr or evap monitors need help