Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

This is too much: California orders gay history in school textbooks

Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
JMR
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is too much: California orders gay history in school textbooks

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43768864/ns/us_news-life/
California became the first U.S. state to require that public school textbooks include the accomplishments of gay, lesbian and transgender Americans as Governor Jerry Brown signed the mandate into law.
"History should be honest," said Brown in a written statement.
The measure won final passage from the state legislature earlier this month when it passed on a 49-25 party-line vote, with Democrats in favor and Republicans opposed.
"This bill revises existing laws that prohibit discrimination in education and ensures that the important contributions of Americans from all backgrounds and walks of life are included in our history books," Brown said. "It represents an important step forward for our state.
The law also requires that public schools teach about the contributions of Pacific Islanders and the disabled.
California already mandates that schools include historical accomplishments by Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans and European Americans.
Republicans who opposed the legislation argued that it would write an agenda into school textbooks.

'Sexually brainwashed'
Randy Thomasson, president of the conservative SaveCalifornia.com, said Brown had "trampled the parental rights of the broad majority of California mothers and fathers who don't want their children to be sexually brainwashed."
"The only way parents can opt-out their kids from this immoral indoctrination is to opt them out of the entire public school system, which is no longer for morally sensitive parents and their children," Thomasson said.
It could still be several years before California students start reading about gay accomplishments in their textbooks.
The state's Department of Education has said that, because of the state's budget woes, new textbooks will probably not be adopted until 2015.
The bill was supported by gay rights organizations including Equality California and the Gay-Straight Alliance Network. Teacher groups also said the bill would help students prepare for a diverse and evolving society.
"There is no room for discrimination of any kind in our classrooms, our communities or our state," said Dean Vogel, president of the California Teachers Association.
Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 PM
JMR
Teching In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTKfdewOaU
Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California just keeps getting worse and worse. Nothing against gay people but California has their prioritys wrong.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 PM
JMR
Teching In

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against them but the fact that kids are being taught about the gay movement in schools may be too much for me. idk, that is just me...
Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

WOW Texas needs to gather their weapons and take over the California government and make things better for all of us.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 PM

dont get me wrong. i have no reason to be pc. god created adam&eve not adam&steve. if the state of california wants to teach true history. maybe they should start with one of the oldest books in history.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ Wow, something tells me your a bible thumper. I'm sorry but a fictional book written by multiple people who contradict each other can't seriously be taken as "true" history. Go back to Alabama.

Aside from that, whatever happened to the separation of church and state? You want to learn about a sky ghost go to a private school.

In all honesty, I couldn't really care less about this being added to the curriculum. We already have to learn about many other events, minority groups, etc. why not this?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Shouldn't stuff be taught based on what the person did and not dwell on whether they are gay or not. Teach them that so and so did that not he was gay and did this because.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ I can agree with that. Good call.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 PM

very far from a bible thumper. i just know the difference between right and wrong.living in california has surely clouded your judgement. although you may not see anything wrong with a couple of you and your agnostic homosexual friends swapping spit,i would say that 99% of the members here dont agree with it.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
In all honesty, I couldn't really care less about this being added to the curriculum. We already have to learn about many other events, minority groups, etc. why not this?
Maybe if we had extra money and our education system was not falling apart. I see what your saying but we can barley get kids to pass their classes as is it right now so why should we be ingesting all this time in this when we could use the time to maybe model other states who are more successful.

Another thing the cost factor, our state is broke and this will surly drive up the cost for new text books, new curriculum, and boards having to approve this and what is said.

If i come off brash i dont mean it or this whole thing directed towards your post but this is not the time.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is more about forcing their agenda and tolerance then it about improving the education of our children.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

And to think that Brown and his followers support the bill in hopes that people will be more tolerant of gays. Hah! What a crock! What an abuse of the education process. Students don't need to have classroom discussions promoting, yes, promoting same sex relationships to tell them they should/shouldn't have hateful or violent sentiments towards gays. At the same time, students don't need to be told that being gays is okay, and that you should feel bad or ashamed if you disagree with their perverse (oops!) way of life.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pony slayer99
very far from a bible thumper. i just know the difference between right and wrong.living in california has surely clouded your judgement. although you may not see anything wrong with a couple of you and your agnostic homosexual friends swapping spit,i would say that 99% of the members here dont agree with it.
Atheist actually.

Your choice of words proved my point for me. Thank you for being narrow-minded, blinded by religion and prejudice.

Also, I love that you assume i'm gay too because i live in California. Just feed the stereotype Jethro. I'm sure everyone agrees with you in your own little mind, unfortunately i live in the real world. Go spread your hatred elsewhere.

I can see the points against it being fiscally irresponsible, slightly off-point for the reason it is integrated, etc. but plain old hatred because of your dislike for a specific group of people
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well why not allow more of the bible in the classroom then, I see this as the same idea, let us push an agenda on children instead of educate them objectively. I don't have anything against gay people, it is their life, their choice, but to teach kids that this person did something great and was gay has no bearing on the actual accomplishment.

Why don't we teach the truth about Cristopher Columbus too, the fact that he destroyed vilages in Mexico for gold, and that he would deface people who did not comply with his demands.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Commiefornia picks gay history big suprise there.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

bible>gay history
Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Bible teaches man and women sex...commiefornia teaches homo sex. Enough said lol
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Why don't we teach the truth about Cristopher Columbus too, the fact that he destroyed vilages in Mexico for gold, and that he would deface people who did not comply with his demands.
Howard Zinn's books are freaking eye opening. The **** we never learn in school is insane.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is too much: California orders gay history in school textbooks