Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Help me deal with Geico.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help me deal with Geico.

My wife rear ended another car. There wasn't a lot of damage, but using a Geico certified/authorized shop, the claim came in at about $2000. We can get it fixed for a ton cheaper than that. When I called, they said that if I used another shop, they would make it a two party check.

So...

Is there any way to get the check from Geico instead of having them pay the shop?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the vehicle has a lien then no, you are OBLIGATED to get it fixed, which means geico pays the lienholder directly or the bodyshop directly.

if its paid for and no lien is on the vehicle then they will write it to you or whatever bodyshop you want.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

There is no lien. We wholly own the car. However, when I talked to them on the phone, they said it would have to be a two party check: written to me AND the shop of choice. I always thought I could take the check directly after I got an estimate/estimates.

Thoughts on how to approach this?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To fix your car? Or the other car she hit? If yours, that's actually illegal for them to tell you that you have to fix it at a shop of their choice which is "certified". What they do is the auto body shop gives the insurance a discount for the repair and since the body shop is doing it for cheaper than they would a walk in they don't care about the quality. I work at a mechanical shop that is also a body shop and owned by the same owner. And he refuses to give discounts to insurance companies because he rather give quality then crap quick job. And the check should be made out to you because what if you change your mind? Then you are stuck with that shop.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 PM
9 Second Club

It is to fix our car. They aren't saying we have to fix it there, they are saying that if we don't, they will not write the check to me and me alone. Can they do that? We just want the check! How should I approach it?

Thanks for the advice so far!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

it could be something to do with your state law, but here if there is no lien they have to write the check to you if you ask.

just tell them you have a friend that does paint and body and you'd prefer him to do it over a shop.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transsam
It is to fix our car. They aren't saying we have to fix it there, they are saying that if we don't, they will not write the check to me and me alone. Can they do that? We just want the check! How should I approach it?

It's called cracking down on bogus claims my friend. Not that this is what you're doing, but this does happen a lot. I've known some people who had someone damage their vehicle; the insurance quoted them at around $2500; got a friend or acquaintance to fix it for less than $1000; and pocketed the remaining $1500 for new wheels. It happens.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Thats not a bogus claim... If its actually $2500 in damage thats what you get if you can get it cheaper thats your choice. even if you owned a body shop you would get $2500 if you lived in california.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by transsam

its called insurance fraud.............
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I had State Farm but I crashed my 05 F-150 a while back and totalled an 80's blazer, while i was drunk (I don't condone drinking and driving, I don't even remember that night, fucked up, but true) I got a check from State Farm for $8,500 for the driver side front fender, hood, lights, and upper and lower bumper. I got it fixed for $800 with no paint, got an aftermarket hood, rims, drop kit, and paint, and pocketed about $3000 (which went to lawyers and fees)... State Farm then dropped me and now I'm a Geico customer even though its been over 3 years and my SR22 is off my ****. This happened in San Diego in 2008, regardless, I had almost wished I got in the same accident when I was sober so I didn't have to deal with DUI **** but I got an amazing deal out of that horrible night.
Geico's ******* with you, they should have to write you a check directly to you.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From experience State Farm is one of the easiest going insurance; they dont hassle you or try to minimize the about money they have to for out for repair.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

yep i have had checks cut to me from my insurance. Most body shops charge more with insurance because they can. That is were the fraud starts.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

yep i have had checks cut to me from my insurance. Most body shops charge more with insurance because they can. That is were the fraud starts.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

You have the right to tell them to pay you out right.

Quick Reply: Help me deal with Geico.