Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Smog recertification, auto to manual swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Smog recertification, auto to manual swap?

Has anyone in California had their vehicle re-certified after they did a modification to the engine or an engine swap into another vehicle? I am curious what sort of tests they do and how much work/cost this takes.

I swapped a T56 6-speed into my '01 Silverado which had a 4L60E in it. I'm no expert, but I suspect that this thing would not pass smog during the "visual" inspection because of this. Not to mention I had to turn off a half dozen codes in the PCM.

Anyone done the auto to manual swap in CA?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Has anyone in California had their vehicle re-certified after they did a modification to the engine or an engine swap into another vehicle? I am curious what sort of tests they do and how much work/cost this takes.

I swapped a T56 6-speed into my '01 Silverado which had a 4L60E in it. I'm no expert, but I suspect that this thing would not pass smog during the "visual" inspection because of this. Not to mention I had to turn off a half dozen codes in the PCM.

Anyone done the auto to manual swap in CA?
They could care less about the transmission. Just take it in and dont even say anything. The tech will probably just assume its a 5 speed. As far as the PCM and engine mods, as long as all of the readiness monitors are good in the computer and the visuals are there (cat, EGR, AIR, etc), you'll pass no problem if it blows the numbers out the tailpipe.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, no extended cab trucks came with 5-speeds, plus when the run my VIN it will probably say it should be an automatic. They will have to get in it and drive it into the garage to they can hook up OBD scanner to do the function test.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Teching In

I put a T56 in my '95 Impala SS 10 years ago and have smogged it with no problems.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah just don't say anything unless they ask. we swapped a LS1 in my buddies stock V6 camaro, and pulled up to the smog station and didn't say anything at all. Just played it off like it was always a V8. passed with flying colors
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Well, no extended cab trucks came with 5-speeds, plus when the run my VIN it will probably say it should be an automatic. They will have to get in it and drive it into the garage to they can hook up OBD scanner to do the function test.
They dont care about sub models, trim, cab size, whatever. Just take it in and call it day.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My smog guy is quite blind, I think something happens when he sees money?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see what happens next year when the tailpipe check is stopped and ODB2 port scanning takes over. I think it is only on 2000+ year vehicles.The word is they are checking the PCM for OEM checksums, so we don't know what's going to happened with programmed PCMs.

Quick Reply: Smog recertification, auto to manual swap?