Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Shop for oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shop for oil pan leak

Seems like I have small oil pan leak and need the gasket replaced. I've taken the car to a couple places and they just tell me to not worry about it since it's small and not worth all the work. I got a vibe from the mechanics like they just didn't want to do it so I'll ask here. I know it'll be a bit expensive but if the price is right I'd love to have her running 100% again. Thanks for any suggestions
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its expensive because Its a pain in the *** haha. Id make absolutely sure it is the pan and its not running from the back of the valve cover or rear engine cover/main seal. pressure wash.the crap out of it and then watch it.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Launching!

It's really not that bad of a job, I've done quite a few of them. It's just scary to the average mechanic once they realize that they must lower/remove the k-member to gain access to the pan.

Your best bet is to find a local and REPUTABLE LS performance shop that can do the job for you. Someone that's done it before and since you're in Cali, I'm sure there's a good amount of LSX Speed shops in your area. Just do some digging unless someone else chimes in with a recommendation
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree lowering the K member isn't hard at all. I would make sure it's not coming from the back of the block as lowerthanyou has stated.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

So what's all involved? I take it the engine has to be supported with a cherry picker since you cant support it from below with a jack (since you're taking off the pan) and since the motor mounts are mounted on the k-member (which has to be lowered/removed).

Quick Reply: Shop for oil pan leak