Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Possible part out questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible part out questions

So I'm thinking about parting out. Car is in good running condition. I'm thinking of doing a complete drop out (engine computer harness and trans) then selling the other stuff separately. How much do the drop outs go for though. Mine is a fresh rebuild (less than 5k miles) with 799 heads and v2 cam. It made 412 to the wheels I feel like that should up the price.

I want something more daily driver friendly. And selling the car as a whole seems like I'd get a lot less money than I'm looking for. Do these part outs go over easy? Will I be sitting on these parts for a whole or do they move semi quickly. Also how fast do the drop outs go. It seems like most part outs the drop out sells first
Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as how fast they move, that --in large part-- depends on you as a seller. Various factors like where you choose to list the parts for sale (ebay, craigslist, ls1tech, other LS forums, local forums, etc); are you willing to ship, or only local sales? how high/ low/ competitive your prices are; the condition/ quality of your parts. to what extent do you plan to part it out? for example, some people try to sell the interior as a whole, some are willing to sell pretty much everything individually. how good you are with creating the actual ads (how descriptive you are, how good are your pictures of each item). Gotta keep remembering to bump your threads so they stay at least within the 1st page or two in the classifieds... all of that factors into how well your part out goes... some people simply aren't too great at selling their stuff and end up sitting on a bunch of crap for a long time.

don't try to make all of the money back that you put into the motor/trans and it'll probably go pretty fast. too many people are too stuck on trying to recoup some/all of the money they put into their car... you have to expect to take a loss most of the time.

I say, clean up the car really well, inside and out, and take some nice pics of your car as it sits (all around pics of the exterior, interior, engine bay, etc). type up an ad with everything you've got done to the car and post it up for sale on here, craigslist, and wherever else you want. price it a couple grand higher that what you'd realistically expect/ what you'd be happy with (gives you room to come down and give someone a "deal" without immediately going lower than you'd like to end up with). Give it 2-3 weeks and see how it goes, you may find a buyer willing to pay a price you'd be happy with. If the car doesn't seem to be getting any serious attention, THEN start looking at parting the car out.

Quick Reply: Possible part out questions