Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CA smog legal build possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to go fi, i know of a full f body vortech kit for sale, smog number and all
Old 04-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Teching In

I've played with lots of numbers and think I've figured out the best option for the most power. Stock cubed LS1, AFR 215, forged internals, studs top and bottom, LS6 intake, shorty headers, port stock TB, Procharger D1R, front mount intercooler, custom grind cam (PM if you want the numbers, took 2 days to get it right)....supporting parts (injectors, oil pump, etc). At 14psi rwhp should be around 650, if my math is correct at least. If you set the compression ratio correctly I've seen 22psi on a similar setup, around 800rwhp. With that setup anything 2000 and newer should pass cleanly...so says a few smog guys and a ref.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bkbailey85
I've played with lots of numbers and think I've figured out the best option for the most power. Stock cubed LS1, AFR 215, forged internals, studs top and bottom, LS6 intake, shorty headers, port stock TB, Procharger D1R, front mount intercooler, custom grind cam (PM if you want the numbers, took 2 days to get it right)....supporting parts (injectors, oil pump, etc). At 14psi rwhp should be around 650, if my math is correct at least. If you set the compression ratio correctly I've seen 22psi on a similar setup, around 800rwhp. With that setup anything 2000 and newer should pass cleanly...so says a few smog guys and a ref.
Everything looks good here except for the D1R, I don't believe the D1 case is CARB legal for the F-Body. IIRC only the P1SC is. Maybe you could get a P1SC case and put a D1 wheel in it? I'm not that familiar with it but from my research I believe I saw someone mentioning this in another thread.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Teching In

The D1R has an EO# for the F-Body. The R stands for reverse direction, specific to the F-Body. Talked to Procharger dealer in Stockton and he can get replacement plates for the D1 and the P1. Units are much cheaper when bought individually and used. Key points to pushing high boost levels are pinning the harmonic balancer and get the Aster bracket.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bkbailey85
The D1R has an EO# for the F-Body. The R stands for reverse direction, specific to the F-Body. Talked to Procharger dealer in Stockton and he can get replacement plates for the D1 and the P1. Units are much cheaper when bought individually and used. Key points to pushing high boost levels are pinning the harmonic balancer and get the Aster bracket.
Great Info!

Based on my own research then, I completely agree with bkbailey85's build, I think with the right cam you would definitely make some really good numbers while still being completely CARB legal.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Great suggestion, I was considering what route I was gonna go for my engine build. This looks like it'll work for me too.

You'll have to step up your rear end to handle this though. HP's worthless if your car doesn't move.

Unless were only discussing engine and not other things. If this is the case, ignore this lol
Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a smog-passable NA forged build with the intention of strapping a blower on (dished pistons, milled stock heads). Made 355/350 through a stalled auto and stock cats. More info here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dyno-gues...d-results.html

Passed smog just like a stock LS1. Main bearings went out before I had a chance to put the blower on.

The stock shorty style exhaust and stock cats were choking it. You'll get good smog-legal (CARB# anyways) results with a P1SC kit, or if you're willing to do a major swap, an LS3 E-ROD kit will be best, as those have a CARB EO #.

I don't agree with the above claim that the D1 has an EO # for our application. The P1 does. If the D1 has an EO # specifically citing LS1 F-bodies, please post the number so it can be verified.

Last edited by ZexGX; 05-12-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ which shorties were you running?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackandgold
^^ which shorties were you running?
JBA. There was crazy amounts of welding slag inside the runners at the flanges that I cleaned up.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
JBA. There was crazy amounts of welding slag inside the runners at the flanges that I cleaned up.
That's not what I wanted to hear...Once I wrap up my suspension I need to start thinking about my motor and I was planning on going with JBAs...
Old 05-13-2015, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackandgold
That's not what I wanted to hear...Once I wrap up my suspension I need to start thinking about my motor and I was planning on going with JBAs...
If you need a legitimate EO #, you'll have to use the JBAs, since you have a 99. Edelbrock makes LS1 F-body shorties but they are only for 00-02 (no EGR provision). BBK and others make them for 99's but they don't have EO #s. Maybe the newer or other sets don't have welding slag. Maybe they had an intern/apprentice welding up the headers the day they made mine. Not too big of a deal to me as I was able to clean them up with grinding/cutting bits, but definitely worth mentioning.

Last edited by ZexGX; 05-13-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: CA smog legal build possible?