Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

98 Trans AM LS1 stock motor rebuild

Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Trans AM LS1 stock motor rebuild

Hey guys,

Ive owned my 98 trans am since 2010. The engine light popped on a couple months ago and I just got is diagnosed today. Looks like cylinder 4 and 5 are misfiring. Had some tests run and its not the spark plugs, wires or coil. Could be the injectors, but if not that then likely its something internal. Any suggestions on where I can get a quality rebuild at a decent price? I want to keep everything stock. This state blows anyway as far as not being able to pass smog. Im located in Orange County, but am willing to travel to LA area or Inland empire. What the average cost of a rebuild and does anyone know a reputable shops that can do this?

thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

A lot It doesn't sound like catastrophic failure if you brought it by my place we figure it out rather quickly I'm in Orange. My number is 7144706287 feel free to text me and we can get to the bottom of it real fast
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silvea
A lot It doesn't sound like catastrophic failure if you brought it by my place we figure it out rather quickly I'm in Orange. My number is 7144706287 feel free to text me and we can get to the bottom of it real fast
I really appreciate that man. I drove the car today and the engine light is still on. I was hauling *** down the 405 today, so I know its not the motor. It drives like a beast still. Mechanic quoted me 1500 to do the injectors, the intake manifold has a leak and to replace the some smog air pump thing... I would do it al myself buy I just started my new job and dont have the time. Do you own your own shop in Orange?
Old 04-22-2017, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

No I work out of my garage lol. Building race cars in the drive way
Old 04-22-2017, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like seriously though changing the intake gaskets on these cars is super easy. I'll suggest new spark plugs and I'll move the problem cylinders coils back 1 cylinder and injectors forward 1 cylinder. Start it and if the problem moved you know it was the coil or plug depending on where the problem goes. If it was the spark plugs they got replace no problem if it was the leaking gasket problems will be gone. Parts is like 60-80 bucks I think at most and for my time buy me a bottle of Jack Daniels and del taco for lunch
Old 04-26-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like seriously though changing the intake gaskets on these cars is super easy. I'll suggest new spark plugs and I'll move the problem cylinders coils back 1 cylinder and injectors forward 1 cylinder. Start it and if the problem moved you know it was the coil or plug depending on where the problem goes. If it was the spark plugs they got replace no problem if it was the leaking gasket problems will be gone. Parts is like 60-80 bucks I think at most and for my time buy me a bottle of Jack Daniels and del taco for lunch
sounds like a deal to me! lol If you have an intake leak that'll easily cause a misfire.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah dude that sounds goods, its just i cant register the vehicle and its overdue almost a year. Dont really wanna be driving it on the streets thats why I asked if u had a shop. Ill be texting you on the first. thanks man!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
sounds like a deal to me! lol If you have an intake leak that'll easily cause a misfire.
Yeah Im misfiring in cylinder 4 and 5. The spark plugs have been replaced, wires, and the coil is good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Trans AM LS1 stock motor rebuild