Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Looking to get a manual trans swap done on a tahoe

Old 01-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking to get a manual trans swap done on a tahoe

I'm finally ready and able to get started on my next vehicle project. I am looking for a NBS SUV: Tahoe, Yukon, (possibly escalade) /GMT820, and I ONLY drive Manual Transmissions. I don't have the vehicle or any parts yet for the swap. I have started searching, and see a few options on vehicles, and finding a few transmissions around, but thought I should make a thread in the most technically knowledgeable forum I can think of that is quite active.
I am a low level DIYer, and don't feel comfortable enough to tackle this on my own, plus I have some permanent injuries that would make this difficult for me. I do have access to a full shop of tools with lifts out in Glendale, and can bring you with if your ID is clean. if I could find someone with experience and knowledge that we could do this (at almost YOUR leisure), depending on price (If this is not done through a shop, I will want to know "qualifications"). I am in Phoenix, AZ, and am starting my search out to SoCal - Vegas - El Paso, maybe even down I-10 to San Antonio since I get out there that I would be willing to drive out to/from with no problem. I haven't contacted any shops yet, but plan on starting my calling this week to see what my options are.

If you have a shop that can do the work, maybe you have the vehicle, maybe you have the parts, maybe you can help do the install, please PM me, or post up.
I'm looking for a:
1999-2006 Tahoe (has the better front end with HD hood and z71 grill), Yukon is second. Escalade molding and front end are bad, but for a 6.0 at the right price, I would consider it.
RWD ONLY (Still not sure if t-56 or NV4500 2wd). I don't tow, but would like an upgraded transmission for future possibilities.
Leveled, not lowered NOT LIFTED.
I want an IRON Block.. NO 4.8s (no low end torque for this heavy thing). 5.3 is fine and almost preferred with a custom tune, cam, e-fans with exhaust and CAI, (same on 6.0) are about all I would do for ease, and want to keep my highway range up to over 400 /450 (with a 26 gallon tank). Any FI is going to come after the rest of the vehicle is where I want it. I'm not looking to race it. I'm looking to pass when I want to, have a fun, RELIABLE SUV I can keep for 20+ years.
White, maybe dark gray or black. Prefer cloth over leather. MUST BE southern rust free vehicle, clear title, with no body damage, clean. I have found a few tahoes with bad trans for less than $2K, "around" here that would work, but not my exact options yet. Depending on what information I get after calling around, I may start collecting parts for when I find the right one. Budget is 8-10K, all in. I have a little more room for a great deal on something better, but I think this budget should be good enough for what I want (cam is most likely something I will not add-in at this time, just hoping to find one).

Just for the hell of it, I have a 2002 Silverado, 2wd reg cab with a 4.8, and 5spd. 233k miles, power windows and locks, some parts to go with, runs good, damaged stepside bed, blue on graphite, that in a perfect world I could trade for a rebuilt transmission and the install, otherwise it will be up for sale once this gets a road trip under its v-belt.

Thanks for reading.

Search this Thread