LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Western Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-members-59/)
-   -   got state refed (https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-members/1919468-got-state-refed.html)

xdanny510x 05-02-2019 10:01 AM

got state refed
 
pulling into panda express going 10mph this ****er cop pulled me over for supposidly having heard me from far away and for a no front lp...and from there thats were it all began.. got me for 1st no license plate.
2 loud exhaust.
3 removal of emissions
4 no carb sticker for cai.

my question is when going to a state ref.. does he look at ur pcm to see if u have a tune or if your oxygen sensors are turned off etc?

Dren 05-02-2019 12:39 PM

Wow! You need to move.. The first one isn't needed here in SC. The other 3 will get you a thumbs up from the local Police here in SC.



Originally Posted by xdanny510x (Post 20089627)
pulling into panda express going 10mph this ****er cop pulled me over for supposidly having heard me from far away and for a no front lp...and from there thats were it all began.. got me for 1st no license plate.
2 loud exhaust.
3 removal of emissions
4 no carb sticker for cai.

my question is when going to a state ref.. does he look at ur pcm to see if u have a tune or if your oxygen sensors are turned off etc?


1FastBrick 05-02-2019 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by xdanny510x (Post 20089627)
pulling into panda express going 10mph this ****er cop pulled me over for supposidly having heard me from far away and for a no front lp...and from there thats were it all began.. got me for 1st no license plate.
2 loud exhaust.
3 removal of emissions
4 no carb sticker for cai.

my question is when going to a state ref.. does he look at ur pcm to see if u have a tune or if your oxygen sensors are turned off etc?

They can not See inside the ECM only what son the surface. They look at the Operating System and the Callibration ID number and compare them to a data base of know factory Calibrations. Prior to around 05 - 06 Gm didnt keep the best records.

As long as you don't have a custom OS You should be fine.

The emmisions stuff needs to be inplace for the Visual part of the inspection.

As for the CAI, If it's a cheap one, Ditch for a CARB approved unit and atleast keep the sticker in the car. It supposed to be affixed to the car under the hood.

As Dumb as it may seem, put the stupid plate on the front. Its required by LAW in CA and they will use it as an excuse to pull you over and site you for other things.

Also I am Fairly certin you can refuse to pop the hood. They are on a fishing expedition. They will try and scare you into opening the hood but they can't impound the vehicle for minor infractions or because they feel like it. If your vehicle is current registered and inssured and for the most part complies with the laws They have no reason to take the vehicle. assuming of course you have a valid current license. They used the plate to pull you over. If there is nothing Else in plain site, They have no probable cause to search the vehicle. They can call the Exhaust loud all they want. They need to be able to prove it though and the new law has testing requirement for this. I know of 2 people now that have challanged the officer at the scene and they both beat the rap and where under the legal testing limit.

xdanny510x 05-02-2019 02:12 PM


Originally Posted by 1FastBrick (Post 20089765)
They can not See inside the ECM only what son the surface. They look at the Operating System and the Callibration ID number and compare them to a data base of know factory Calibrations. Prior to around 05 - 06 Gm didnt keep the best records.

As long as you don't have a custom OS You should be fine.

The emmisions stuff needs to be inplace for the Visual part of the inspection.

As for the CAI, If it's a cheap one, Ditch for a CARB approved unit and atleast keep the sticker in the car. It supposed to be affixed to the car under the hood.

As Dumb as it may seem, put the stupid plate on the front. Its required by LAW in CA and they will use it as an excuse to pull you over and site you for other things.

Also I am Fairly certin you can refuse to pop the hood. They are on a fishing expedition. They will try and scare you into opening the hood but they can't impound the vehicle for minor infractions or because they feel like it. If your vehicle is current registered and inssured and for the most part complies with the laws They have no reason to take the vehicle. assuming of course you have a valid current license. They used the plate to pull you over. If there is nothing Else in plain site, They have no probable cause to search the vehicle. They can call the Exhaust loud all they want. They need to be able to prove it though and the new law has testing requirement for this. I know of 2 people now that have challanged the officer at the scene and they both beat the rap and where under the legal testing limit.

because cop made me pop my hood with no cause... all he said was my exhaust is loud.. then was like pop ur hood and dont lie to me and looked and asked me for my carb stickers and the cai isnt a cheap one its a roto fab

DoggyB22 05-03-2019 08:18 PM

I got state reffed years back. Use to have true duals dumped. Cop was in a parking lot with other cops. They were like yea we heard you blocks away & waited. "Sounded like a Nascar was coming our way" Played dumb saying car came like that etc etc. Wasn't having it. Wrote me the ticket. Ended up just paying $700 fine & that was that. But now I don't know what they do? Are you allowed to just pay a fine & be done with it or do you literally have to go back stock

W.S6 FORMULA 05-03-2019 09:39 PM

I posted a bunch of post about This subject I just paid the rockets and that was it
I donít know if itís changed now with that new emissions law but youíre innocent Until proven guilty so just pay the fine unless they said dmv will flag your car

pdxmotorhead 05-03-2019 10:45 PM

Remember that in the end, they are enforcing a Federal Law Not state, YES they can make you open the hood, check the FED DOT rules, They can totally spot check for emissions.. if they can spot a single thing that implies your emissions are not on par they can take the car, yes you might eventually win in court,, by then the car will be a ball of rust and you'll have lost your license due to old age..

Google up judge and illegal tail-lights... There is a Loooong sordid story about a state judge pulling the license off a car because she didn't like the tail lights,, the guy has been fighting it for a few years never did hear the outcome.. They were STOCK dot approved Camaro taillights too.. But she has ruled they are too bright at night and he's was waiting for a federal hearing..

Don't poke the bear,,, you are chewy and taste good with Ketchup. :D

LLLosingit 05-03-2019 11:48 PM


Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 20090570)
Remember that in the end, they are enforcing a Federal Law Not state

Are you sure about that? I know in the past California had it's own emission standards and that was on top of the Federal standards.
In the Midwest we always knew where a car was originally from if it had the California emission package.

Greenhouse gases. As of 2007, the California Air Resources Board passed strict greenhouse gas emission standards which are being challenged in the courts. On September 12, 2007, a judge in Vermont ruled in favor of allowing states to conditionally regulate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from new cars and trucks,...

pdxmotorhead 05-04-2019 03:27 AM


Originally Posted by LLLosingit (Post 20090594)
Are you sure about that? I know in the past California had it's own emission standards and that was on top of the Federal standards.
In the Midwest we always knew where a car was originally from if it had the California emission package.

Greenhouse gases. As of 2007, the California Air Resources Board passed strict greenhouse gas emission standards which are being challenged in the courts. On September 12, 2007, a judge in Vermont ruled in favor of allowing states to conditionally regulate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from new cars and trucks,...

The states can add to the law no doubt about it,, But the federal law is the minimum
and its the one that carb actually is enforcing,, with the California sauce on it..
Removing a cat is against the federal EPA laws, which we get away with in some
states mostly because the state has chosen not to enforce the rule
and the feds don't actually have much of an inspection division for it.

I got a warning ticket years ago when I had to cross a scale with a 2 ton
truck and a utility trailer,got tagged for a non conforming carb and no air pump..
It was a federal DOT inspector that wrote me up. Oregon doesn't Ack
CARB as the final rule, for many things we have to adhere to the federal rules, in
many ways we have worst Emissions rules than CA ,, luckily we only have
inspections for the Metropolitan areas.
And with OBDII/III they are actually lightening up on older vehicles..
Only thing constant is change. :)

Gary Wells 05-15-2019 10:56 PM

You can, or could, just wait for the ticket to be posted and just pay the fine, but the last instance of that happening on here and was pretty well documented and the fine totaled to about $1600. I just sold my '09 690 RWHP & 630 RWTQ Cadi CTS-V & bought my old turbo Buick back For most of the above noted reasons. This is not Disneyland after dark, it is the PROK.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands